Unrealible DNS.

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by tsunami231, Aug 26, 2020.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    So it been while since i delt with anything DNS related but I noticing DNS benching tool say my custom list of DNS alot them unreliable and I mean alot, where normal only hand full should be normally, it even reporting my Router when I let my router control the DNS is coming back unreliable.

which making me believe there something wrong with my router and handling of DNS is having issue.

Even when I use DNS set on just my system there ton of DNS server being reported at unreliable, and I been notice for while webpage are take long and longer to just connect.

Seeing the whole network is controlled by that router if there issue with router DNS handling or router in self can it cause these problems?

F@st 5260 was always shitty router, and starting to wonder if it starting to go, should calll spectrum and have router replace or just buy new better one

IF i ping my router it comeback as 0ms min and max and 0% loss. but something cause alot dns servers to be unrealible including the router.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Cloudflare DNS is what I use the most.
    But normally the ISP router has the last words -to say so when it comes to DNS in a normal LAN.
    It would benefit you if the router's DNS could be set to another one. But some ISP are not so happy about that, and some routers have their firmware modded by the ISP so much can't be done there.
    Get a better router, even a cheap TP-Link flashed with DD-WRT is light years ahead of the vast majority of ISP routers, in terms of speed, routing and services.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I am using 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1 specifically on my PC but even that is coming back unrrelible so is google dns and opendns and great many more, which I find very strange even my ips dns servers come back are unreible. I made custom dns list for my area of 50 dns and 25 of them are coming back unreliably which never seen happen

I been thinking of getting asus ax56u/ax86u both are ridiculously more powerfull then that f@ast 5260 the swap only to such router should increase router performance when it has activity on

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    So i did a test today, I disconnect my router from my network, and ran the modem direct to my pc ,Ran the DNS Bench 50 of 50 dns test came back 100% reliably there response times even increased. I plug everything back into the router and ran the DNS Bench tool again, and the massive amount of unreliable dns came back.

I gona go out on limb and say the router, can no longer hand the 13 thing connected and give realize dns results, either cpu is over loaded or there some hardware failure happen. i mean it was never the fastes and it always felt slow connecting to website and stuff, but it was never this bad, think it time i look into actual getting a new router to replace that thing

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    What router, consumer grade, SOHO or enterprise?
    I am upgrading this September to pfSense box, Ubiquity AP from a TP Link DD-WRT flashed on.
    Just going overkill to force myself learn more in depth routing and networking.
    Got the HP Thin client T620 plus for cheap on eBay and a Ubiquity AP used from a friend.
    Installed pfSense and bought a 300 m spool of CAT5e double shielded cable.
    I am stoked for the next weeks.

386SX likes this.
  6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it isp provided F@st 5260 is what i have,

i been looking at asus ax56u/ax85u or maybe the ac86u
    Newer router with more cpu cores vs proven router with less coresI pretty sure any of them would huge upgrade compared to that F@st 5260

it most likely will be asus though cause I like there interface And I liked merilinfw on the AC66u i was using it with