Unrealible DNS.

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by tsunami231, Aug 26, 2020.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    So it been while since i delt with anything DNS related but I noticing DNS benching tool say my custom list of DNS alot them unreliable and I mean alot, where normal only hand full should be normally, it even reporting my Router when I let my router control the DNS is coming back unreliable.

which making me believe there something wrong with my router and handling of DNS is having issue.

Even when I use DNS set on just my system there ton of DNS server being reported at unreliable, and I been notice for while webpage are take long and longer to just connect.

Seeing the whole network is controlled by that router if there issue with router DNS handling or router in self can it cause these problems?

F@st 5260 was always shitty router, and starting to wonder if it starting to go, should calll spectrum and have router replace or just buy new better one

IF i ping my router it comeback as 0ms min and max and 0% loss. but something cause alot dns servers to be unrealible including the router.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Cloudflare DNS is what I use the most.
    But normally the ISP router has the last words -to say so when it comes to DNS in a normal LAN.
    It would benefit you if the router's DNS could be set to another one. But some ISP are not so happy about that, and some routers have their firmware modded by the ISP so much can't be done there.
    Get a better router, even a cheap TP-Link flashed with DD-WRT is light years ahead of the vast majority of ISP routers, in terms of speed, routing and services.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I am using 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1 specifically on my PC but even that is coming back unrrelible so is google dns and opendns and great many more, which I find very strange even my ips dns servers come back are unreible. I made custom dns list for my area of 50 dns and 25 of them are coming back unreliably which never seen happen

I been thinking of getting asus ax56u/ax86u both are ridiculously more powerfull then that f@ast 5260 the swap only to such router should increase router performance when it has activity on

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    So i did a test today, I disconnect my router from my network, and ran the modem direct to my pc ,Ran the DNS Bench 50 of 50 dns test came back 100% reliably there response times even increased. I plug everything back into the router and ran the DNS Bench tool again, and the massive amount of unreliable dns came back.

I gona go out on limb and say the router, can no longer hand the 13 thing connected and give realize dns results, either cpu is over loaded or there some hardware failure happen. i mean it was never the fastes and it always felt slow connecting to website and stuff, but it was never this bad, think it time i look into actual getting a new router to replace that thing

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    What router, consumer grade, SOHO or enterprise?
    I am upgrading this September to pfSense box, Ubiquity AP from a TP Link DD-WRT flashed on.
    Just going overkill to force myself learn more in depth routing and networking.
    Got the HP Thin client T620 plus for cheap on eBay and a Ubiquity AP used from a friend.
    Installed pfSense and bought a 300 m spool of CAT5e double shielded cable.
    I am stoked for the next weeks.

386SX likes this.
  6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it isp provided F@st 5260 is what i have,

i been looking at asus ax56u/ax85u or maybe the ac86u
    Newer router with more cpu cores vs proven router with less coresI pretty sure any of them would huge upgrade compared to that F@st 5260

it most likely will be asus though cause I like there interface And I liked merilinfw on the AC66u i was using it with

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/compare?skus=6440320,6428132

I been told to go after those over at SNBforums if I am after Range, and cause i like asus router and familiar with them and fact I like MerlinFW which they support or atles tthat ax86u. seeing as my father is one that want "better" wifi range but i one that gona have to deal with i told him, gona see how much this wifi issue bother him.

I still use wired for everything, sort of ipad and iphone and for my usage the wifi is fine

8. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT/290X
    Well the normal 86u great and more then enough for most, have one and its range is excellent. The ax86u should be just as good.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah i fiqure if he gona spend that kind cash he might as well get newest standard. not that he need an excuse to get latest greats in tech.

my still use wired for everything mine, better router that dont bog down with people streaming and would be nice I think router has issue with having 13 device connected if any of those device stream and another device is trying to surf web or something it it felt

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I swear to god keep trying to explain to dad the freaking Modem disconnect have nothing to do with Wifi siginal be spotty and not working for him in parts of house where it use to, gona wind up at spectrum store again to replace spectrum router with one there new ones for time being till he decide what to do router wise. Sort of the storm that damanged my Cm600 also damage the spectrum route there is nothing I can do, with something interfering with wifi singal, and last i check no isp provider is gona trouble shoot the whole neighbor hood to fix 1 persons wifi.

This is why I keep thing wired.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I just freaking found the part of the problem with the connection is coming from crappy "privacy" mode on ipad/iphone that change the mac address which is glitchy mind you i turn it off and windup back on on know connection, for my dads ipad/iphone, i had same issue when 14.0 was first pushed but stop being glitchy on my end.

My router is setup to accept only a mac address in the list for "allow" is that stupid privacy mode that was intruded in 14.0 ios glitchs and turns on it wont connect, and what funny if i try to connect send 2time after intial connect fails it connects.

That privacy mode in 14.0 ios is glitchy and it "on" by default and seem to randomly turn for known networks for my dads ipad/iphone even though it has been turn off, wish there was way to out right disable it for my ipad iphone is hasnot had the issue since first week i got 14.0 on the ipad/phone

12. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3
    Just use the default ISP one. Or if you really need to change - 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1. Depending on the where you live in the world it might be better or worse.

13. 386SX

386SX Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Random MAC and MAC filtering ... I guess you already know ... cannot work in parallel. ;)

As the security increase from using a random mac is almost zero, I guess "Best Practice" would be to disable this mode on your iOS devices and add the real device mac to your whitelist.

As for DNS, to have something reliable under your access, why not quickly setup your own? Forward and reverse DNS isn't that difficult.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Router can only do ISP DNS

I can change DNS on my system, IF i let the router hand out all the DNS response my pc get ALOT page cant be found, we talking 12 times day while going to same webpages. if i switch DNS to OpenDNS or 1.1.1.1 on my pc the page cant be found problems are reduce greatly. i guess cause the time out is longer when request from pc side? but some time pages take really long ti just connect which to mean something in traslations from router to pc is getting lost.

IF i by pass router and connect direct to modem those error are gone, but obviously not a fix. I gona pick up the new AX spectrum router some time in next week or so wee it free seeing the fee for both modem and router month is part of that 94$ and chance i been paying for years. and hope that fixes the problem, I also have pair of cat 6 cables come from my 2 wired devices, but i doubt the cable is the issue

Wireless seem to be affect by this too but just as bad or atlest it seem to me cause I rarely do any web surfing on wireless devices, but I have see a few time web pages just not load

that is the thing I think the iOS "private" address which changes the mac is glitchy and randomly turned on, though I think I got the device that where have issue to stop.

As for make my own DNS To lazy. I really have zero will to any deal with any of this stuff anymore

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  15. itpro

itpro Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Technologies
    Quad9 are the best. I use the second package with edns offering. Try it.

9.9.9.11 and 149.112.112.11

anticupidon likes this.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    changing dns servers does not fix the problem router is having issue handing out those requests, just make the "page" cant be found check interent connection error less frequent atlest when DNS is set from client side and not router, I have to resolve what ever issue on the router side that causing this, which I wont fiqure out till I can get the new AX router from spectrum

Majority of all DNS test done in DNS bench come back unreliable, behind the router, when I do the test connected direct to modem the all come back realiable

And when I noticed that in the test is when I notice the issue starting.

17. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Get yourself a new router.
    Heck, build your own. Or pay someone to do it.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    well cables have been changed out with all Cat6 cables from router to devices that are wired, now i just have to wait till spectrum send me the new router

19. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Bridge the router, build or buy your own router.
    Take a bit of control of your network.
    The router is the strong /weak point of a network..
    After I went DD-WRT, Untagle, now pfSense and dabbling with Sophos XG I am disappointed how bad ISP's routers are - firmware wise.

386SX likes this.
  20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    like said already "paying" for modem and router with my internet bill so, instead of paying 200+ for router if there AX router fix my problem with DNS realiblity and it underpowerness i will go with, if it dont I will have to get after market one I do like asus routers with Merlin on but again I serisouly no longer wont to deal with any of this stuff I just want to work.

Dont get me wrong I dont like that ISP routers have alot thing locked up and missing features. namely them locking DNS servers to the isp ones, but i cant fixed that on client side, there new router is quad core vs there dual core current router and 1 core I have that has much more ram then my router too. 13 client is pushing the limit of this sagecom imo

my problem initial with router I got from them is is cant handle streaming and doing other stuff at same time, and fact I it had no QOS and DNS was locked there new router should fix 2 of those issue and hopeful the unrealible dns issue i haveing too, other wise I have no clue what cause it stops if i hook direct to modem.

ISP firmware is lack luster for reason imo, less thing for end user to mess with and easier for them to troubleshoot.

At this point I just need DNS realibity fixed cause everything has been replace short of the router at this point and I never had such issue wired till after last storm we had that messed up my CM 600