unreal Paris - Virtual Tour - Unreal Engine 4

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Plus it's showing off what one of the best game engines around can create

2. Fierce Guppy

Fierce Guppy Active Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX 980 / 4GB
    I'm running SLI but the demo uses one card only. Can it be forced to use more?

3. AlexKidd5000

AlexKidd5000 Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    The consoles were already outdated crap when they came out, plus the fact that every dev bitching about skyrocketing game development costs, I doubt we will EVER see graphics anywhere near this, period. I just don't see the game industry ever being the same progressive, creative place it once was ever again. I have lost all interest in gaming.

4. Mateja

Mateja Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 640 12140MB
    wow

why are people so upset over a realtime lighting simulation lol... so much flaming over a tech demo. if you can't appreciate this why come to guru3d lol, and why comment. and what are people talking about when they say games will never look like this? you realize computation is growing exponentially... lastly, this isn't exactly static. there are real time reflections and refractions and shadows going on everywhere. to the untrained eye it just seems like nothing more than "fancy flashy light effects". I agree that the "orangey" chair could be casting a bit more global illumination/ambient occlusion (bounced light). but Im not sure I even see any of that, extremely render intensive effect going on at all, or if there is it's pretty subtle. which is more natural. the only time you would see some neon orange radiating off that chair IRL is if there was direct sunlight coming in a window bouncing off of it. it just appears to be reflections/refractions/shadows. I don't even see any caustics (magnifying glass light concentration effect around the base of glass or reflected off of metal). a 3d animator knows it's actually multiple different types of simulations/effects all contributing to 'light' simultaneously in real time, which is astounding. and to be honest, adding some soft bodies or fluid dynamics (or something moving) is really not that complicated and would not impress me further. I can see that the textures are not baked and it is calculating everything in real time which is amazing.

5. Mateja

Mateja Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 640 12140MB
    that said, I will say that I understand and share some of the frustration regarding these tech demos. in the past, they have utilized 100% of a system's resources showing some crazy effects on one object or in 1 room and a game is never that simple. hopefully this is scaled down a bit to be a more accurate representation of what the end user would actually see in 1 room of a finished game utilizing this graphics engine on the relevant hardware platforms that would be running it.

but it's also a matter of design/aesthetics and animators utilizing some or all of these effects.... ever. I've said since ps2 era graphics that now it's a matter of game developers pushing the envelope. when you have cell phone level 2d graphics on a machine capable of this (which happens WAY too much) it just pisses people off. lol

6. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    Can't even enjoy demos and teases like this without people bitching about consoles and 12k 6000hz nonsense.