Unreal engine 5 tech demo for consoles: Matrix awakens.

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by vestibule, Dec 10, 2021.

1. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    anticupidon likes this.
  2. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
  3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I tried this on the Series S and it is stunning, the city detail is just jaw dropping in its almost movie blockbuster detail and size.

vestibule likes this.
  4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    make it into a game.

Keitosha and Cave Waverider like this.

5. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I think I'm the only person that's tried this and thought it was meh. The resolution is rough, the draw distances on the buildings sucks and the frame rate is inconsistent. I think the city in Spider-Man for PS5 comes close to this. I don't see this huge graphical leap here everyone is claiming. The lighting is solid. The demo looks good. It looks very good. I just don't think it looks like this amazing next-gen set of visuals everyone else is seeing. I don't see anything here that stands out to me as something only a PS5 or Series X can do. I'll try it a bit more and see if my opinion changes. I'm also hard on visuals when I first play them. But, Forza 5 looks as good as this to me.

BlindBison likes this.
  6. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    PC is such the red headed step child for these things...

bobnewels likes this.
  7. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Too many different variations to develop for with all the hardware out there on PC. Not financially viable for a demo they aren't charging money for.

anticupidon likes this.
  8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I looked at it was saddend when i saw the framerates even if they kind locked it at 24 fps like most filmed movies, graphically i dont really see it but lighting at night look nice seeing it only came from the moon? was there even one? and lighting in the windows of builds
    really no diffrent then demos they release on pc, only difference is this was on consoles and it was interactive, they make those demos for pc but dont charge people for them why should do so on consoles? well people on console would pay for if they did, i mean really people pay $100 for beta keys to try closed beta's these days

9. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Not impressed. bland textures, some of the worst waxy skin tones ive seen and what is up with the animations they seem almost robotic as if they programmed and A.I to move in simple steps and just hit go.

Scale is impressive, draw distance is meh because the car detail is shockingly bad and most of them once again duplicate. Pedestrians are pretty good though from meta human and most look different to each other but once again the animations are shockingly bad and it brings you back out of the uncanny valley they are going for. Like the dustbins and the newpaper stands all have the exact same texture work and they placed them side by side. In what world would two things have the same wear and tear in the exact same places?

This is the problem when trying to go for the uncanny valley approach, if just one thing is off or looks bad it ruins the whole picture.

Given the fact this is running at 24fps for the "cinematic" feel is not a good look for consoles and 30fps where things dip and once again, like every iteration of Unreal Engine, it has micro stutters and frame pacing issues.

IDTech7 is more impressive to me when it can push really high quality graphics at insane frame rates even on consoles, that to me is more impressive than this 24fps demo with some of the most horrible looking motion blur, TAA and other post processing effects that just smudge and blur the screen.

10. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Because the demo's on PC showcase a game that will make them money, or when Nvidia does it, hardware that will make them money. This is not meant to be a game but a showcase of the engine and it's capability on these consoles. They specifically told eurogamer they wanted it to run real time on consoles so people couldn't claim it was being done on a super PC via youtube. But they made it for 3 consoles, 3 devices to build it for. That's already lost money. To then build it for different cpu's, gpu's on PC. Again, with no final product to make money on, it's not smart business. I'd love to see it on PC. But I understand the decision. If they're running on consoles we know they can run on PC.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021

11. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    It's nice to see I'm not the only one that wasn't impressed. Duplication has been an issue for a very long time with engines. Worlds with replicated signs, same cars, same people, same buildings, etc. When they can get over that limitation I'll be more impressed than by the textures themselves. What's with all games needing wet roads now to? That shiny look doesn't always mean realistic.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    the demo was is showcase of what UE5 CAN do on ps5/Xbox which is EXACTLY what demos release on PC are for. So again it same thing expect this was done on consoles specifically so they could prove it was done on consoles and not the PC ,

It literately interactive demo done specifically for consoles to proof said consoles can do what they show. ALL the demos they EVER release where to show what UE at time could do, this was just specifically target at consoles. there no reason to charge for there demo when they get bulk there money from UE licensing. The whole point of it was to DRIVE sales of the UE5 engine which where the make the money

13. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    As I said, if they got it running on console, you already know it will run on PC. Why spend more man hours and money making it to prove something already known? UE5 will build console games that might or might not be ported to PC. PC exclusives don't exist anymore. The engine isn't being sold exclusively to any developers specifically for PC. Those days are unfortunately gone. The importance is to prove it's ability on consoles where the money and focus is these days.

14. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    There were demos released on PC for UE5, and the UE5 SDK is already available for anyone to download and use. So it's not a matter of what can be run.
    The issue seems to be copyright. This demo has a ton of assets from the movies.
    On consoles, it's much difficult to extract these assets. In fact, at this point it might be impossible.
    But on PC, people would tear it apart in days.
    Epic stated they would release all these assets at a later date, probably after the new movie comes out.
    The PC demo will probably be released by then.

15. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Well, Some interesting points made there lads!
    Reminds me of the old saying: The proof in the pudding is the eating and it looks like you lads have had a healthy slice of Spotted Dick.
    spoted dick.jpg

16. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Nah! I prefer some Dicken's Cider.

vestibule and cucaulay malkin like this.
  17. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    Looks incredible and I am so jealous as I only play PC Games but this might get me to buy a console just for the demo for fun.

Edit: I take back what I said,still looks incredible butt will not be getting a console after I got to the performance part in the DF video 24FPS cutsceens and 30FPS and under for gameplay. Waits for PC release in 6 months on PC.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    Serotonin likes this.
  18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    the cut scene were done purposely at 24 cause that how movies are filmed or so i read, 30fps or lower in gameplay simply cause it systems are not powerfull enough to do RT and keep 30 let alone 60fps at those resolutions

19. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Good one.

These are great.

vestibule and Horus-Anhur like this.
  20. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Some of you understand, some of you do not - this is for you:

Perhaps now you realise why people got annoyed about CyberPunk 2077 and more recently, the GTA definitive remaster edition of GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas.

THIS IS WHAT WE CAN DO WITH UNREAL ENGINE 5!

That world and its look is amazing, and is exactly what gamers need to see, so they know what can be done with those who have the ability to make use of the tech on a gamers desk, under their teevee and in their tablet.

Jeez guys, I remember going to computer clubs during the 16 bit wars and seeing tech demos running on Atari ST's and Amigas, with people swapping discs around with the latest demos on them - I would love to go back and show them this...

vestibule likes this.