Unreal Engine 5 revealed

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by XenthorX, May 13, 2020.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I always prefer games with a more original artistic style.
    A game looking photo-realistic doesn't grab my attention or wow me, just kind of a ... "eh" response.

But, give me a game that leans very heavily into an artistic vision and direction. Then I'm sold.

Like, DisHonored I still think is one of the most beautiful and striking UE3 games made.

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I'm like that, but depends on the game.

Trine and Ori are up there with my favourite looking games, but if it's third/first person then i generally want photo/CG movie realism, which alot of people do not like.

3. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    Human beings will finally set foot on Mars and we'll have a colony there, and full 3D holograms will greet you home when you come back from work; and Bethesda will still be using Gamebryo.

DocStr4ngelove and KissSh0t like this.
  4. Bond!JamesBond!

Bond!JamesBond! Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    next gen incoming

5. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Jedi Fallen Order comes close imo.

6. coc

coc Master Guru

GPU:
    1070GTX
    it looks impressive. ambitious. but yeah.. as already be stated its a tech demo.

maybe its more interesting for developers\professionals. i find it just like any other tech demo to be honest.

well yeah.. i agree with most of it. i think dishonored was a solid looking game, but more to it - it was unique in its design.
    the levels and the art design and every detail was like a glove to the game itself. it takes talent to make
    those adjustments. another good example is the Witcher, w\e anyone likes the game or not.. the design
    fits the game flawlessly.

7. Based on the upgraded Hardware capabilities (and continued X86 architecture) of XBOX series X / PS5 I don't see it as much a stretch to imagine games that much a "leap" from the tech demo.

I'm more curious on what Epic expect from studios far as licensing goes; or royalties for use of the engine. Question of how many will want to even use "mainstream" ones like UE or stay in-house

8. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Grown up Carfax. I have nothing against UE4. In fact i work in this engine at the moment.
    The lack on dynamic GI is still big problem, although some things have been improved. The engine now performs way better with dense foliage for example.

Dynamic GI is the biggest novelty in UE5. But this is probably 100% ray-tracing based, which is kinda not good.

9. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Did you even watch the demo? It's not ray traced at all. This solution will likely be scalable all the way from PC down to mobile, which is very important to Epic.

10. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRYX RX 580
    the lighting is nowhere near as good as any other shooters which came at the same time,bf4 wipes the floor with dishonored, graphically speaking

11. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Well... I did specify "UE3" games. Comparing it against other titles on the Unreal Engine 3, not all other titles released at that time.

But, if we go that way, while BF4 may be more "realistic" in it's lighting, I still personally prefer DisHonored's heavily stylized visual style.

I'm not speaking in terms of technical ability or superiority. I'm speaking solely in personal preference of artistic design. And BF4... is rather stagnant artistically (plus the campaign is hopelessly awful). Impressive technically, but not artistically.
    I will always prefer a game with a strong, unique and defined art style over one going for an ultra "real" world look.
    I prefer Mirror's Edge over Crysis.
    I prefer The Darkness II over FarCry 3, though FC3 does go for a more stylized slant on real world visuals, Darkness II's heavy comic inspired design makes it instantly more appealing.

12. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    Epic Games also announced that there's no royalties under 1M$ revenue with their engine, insane.

13. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    It is ray traced, it must be. This is their voxel based SVOGI method actually: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...eal-engine-5-playstation-5-tech-demo-analysis

This was a tech they introduced back then in 2012 if i remember correctly. But it was never implemented properly. If they pull this properly, it will be a revolution for Unreal engine. This is tech similar to Cryengine SVOGI, if not the same.

14. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    This is how it works. First you voxelize geometry, and then engine picks light information from the voxels and bounces it.

This is much better solution compared to Nvidia RTX fraud, and it can produce similar results with way better performance. You don't need dedicated hardware and you can mix it with triangle ray tracing - hybrid approach. Although if you increase voxels resolution you don't even need triangle ray tracing. I just don't understand why Epic took 10 years to implement this?

cerebus23 and Dragam1337 like this.
  15. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    Dragam1337 likes this.

16. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5700 8GB
    It certainly looks impressive, mostly I want games to start utilizing more physics, no use of LOD or close to nothing and back to hardware accelerated audio.
    The superfast SSD, well, on PC that can be solved by simply adding more RAM. Just cache more of the level and it should flow even better.

17. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Impressive? It would be impressive if this was big open map with heavy foliage. These are megascans, and they look great in every modern engine.
    The LODs are still here, but LOD popping should be almost unnoticeable, which is huge deal.

Todays engines already can handle huge amount of triangles. The biggest problem is shader complexity and dynamic lighting.
    For me Lumen is the real deal here, and the fact that it is voxel based just proves how much of a fraud Nvidia RTX is. A robbery which people didn't recognize. For developers Lumen is a huge deal because it will save you a loooot of time, and money. This is also huge slap in the face to Crytek. I just hope it's gonna be implemented properly.

18. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Nvidia RTX has higher IQ though so how could it be a fraud? Nvidia intended RTX to be used in conjunction with DLSS and DLSS as a technology will continue to improve over time in terms of both performance and IQ.

19. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    RTX does not have higher IQ. I have explained that in order to increase IQ with voxel RT you just need to increase voxels resolution. Voxels are like big atoms/pixels in this case; if you have them more your IQ will be better. But you must have in mind performance.
    Nvidia is also using similar trick, and they call it "acceleration structure": https://devblogs.nvidia.com/practical-real-time-ray-tracing-rtx/
    [​IMG]

So this big bounding box at the top contains data that you will see on your display, and it displays only informations (light bounce) from a few triangles, because you know - performance. And at the bottom you can see a lot of triangles which are ignored. You can't have per triangle ray tracing without using tricks. It must be heavily simplified: you can't bounce light from a millions of triangles. Actually this Nvidia approach can be called voxel/triangle method.

So in Cryengine and now UE5 they use voxels instead of triangles for GI. Kinda different methods, but similar results. Voxel approach is better because you don't need dedicated hardware, and engine must be compatible with all hardware.
    DLSS is just upscaling tech, not part of RTX.

Xtreme512 likes this.
  20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB