Unofficial Opteron OC thread!

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by ViciousXUSMC, Nov 24, 2005.

1. TomCatV

TomCatV Maha Guru

GPU:
    Ti4200 "My-Fast"
    Welll thankyou/your welcome ... no you can't play with the fanclub anymore you just bought a ring! ... HeeHee ... which guy with Dividers? ... the guys have been doing a fine job! ... someday I'll finally get around to finalizing the "Runt" was waiting on some speed-binned product ... HeeHee ... enough of the "blog" already ...

I've been holding off awhile before feeling comfortable about making this statement ... as far as single core's go ... dare I say the newer 2E's/CJ's ... 06XX's look to be as good (maybe better?) as the earlier '05 NE's YE's as far as overall 24/7 clockers and many are doing it @ lower volts ... hence, however you extrapolate/define basic physics tranlates to lower temps and possibly more headroom, now there are exception's @ the end of EVERY SCALE ... but ... :nerd: ... Jury's still out on the duallies .... :frown:

Nah ... you say? ... go back a few months within this very thread and look into my "Crystal Ball"! .... :)

Makes all that nonsense about how the relatively small OC community actually could/would effect "Production Runs" ... look ... ??? ... well one thing's for sure the "R&D" department is thriving .... or at least having some fun ! :nerd:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  2. gooface

gooface Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780
    hey its me from the other thread. the newbie one, warwick has helped me alot so has tomcat, and you Vicious have also put you thoughts in, but i ran into a problem, my cpu is being reported overheating, but i know it cant be possible, my sis has the same case and less fans and she has a opteron 148, her temps are 32C, mine are 43C idle, even on stock speeds, she doesnt even use CPU goo, and i have as5, so i know that my temp sensor is screwed up, ive had the motherboard for 13 months, so my warenty is out, if i want to futher overclock do i need to sell the board and get another one? if so that sucks. any suggestions what to do? i have no temp monitors like warwick suggested, all i have is a laser that detects temps, so the only option i see is to get a new motherboard, mines perfectly fine other than its one flaw. this sux :mad4:

3. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    I'm not sure if the guys already asked you but what programs are/were you using to measure temps? Although I guess it wouldn't really matter as most programs get values from same onboard chip! I'm not familar with the Soltek boards but I've read good things about them, I would go selling it and getting another board especially if you like this one. If for whatever reason your CPU temps sensor is bad I wouldn't go buying another board I would save some money and buy an inexpensive temperature sensor with actual probes, that way you would know for sure what temps your CPU were actually was.

You could also try to pull the heatsink and fan off, double check everything, apply more AS5 and reinstall heatsink and fan making sure it all seats properly onto the CPU. It doesn't take much for the heatsink and CPU not to mate up properly and it only takes a little problem to allow temps to skyrocket! Keep us posted.

4. compgeek89

compgeek89 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1080ti SC2
    Opteron 165 CCBWE 0551UPMW

2.745ghz w/1.55v prime stable, H2O

5. Luis_GT

Luis_GT Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 290X
    You know I hate you right now, don't ya. :p

Nice CPU, I wish I could get a dual core *sigh*

6. compgeek89

compgeek89 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1080ti SC2
    I'm actually kinda disappointed, wanted 2.8ghz+ :(

7. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Banned

GPU:
    Geforce 7800GTX@497/1300
    @goo as me and warwick stated, the case cooling and sutch doesnt mean your cpu will be cooled better because it sounds like your heatsink is not mounted correctly.

your sis has some sort of thermal compound on there trust me.

try to keep all this the the correct thread tho plz, this is our "official" opteron thread we dont want to curropt its purity.

8. gooface

gooface Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780
    well i redid goo restarted bios said 59C in health status, but what i have now is a heat probe, it said 28-29C so i guess i was right all along, and btw, my dad installed her cpu, theres no thermo stuff, its whatever amd put on the heatsink.

9. TomCatV

TomCatV Maha Guru

GPU:
    Ti4200 "My-Fast"
    Nice! (chip) ... I could tell you a bit of a sob story (by our standards:rolleyes: ) on a recent 165 build if it'll make you feel any better? ... 2.52 long story and I need to educate him more about ram and bandwidth ... see where I'm going ...

Edit: he insisted (didn't have time to argue with him/about component matching) on running 1:1 .. try to tell him he should look at a 170/175, any way this chip isn't 24/7 much beyond 2.7 without volts anyway and he's happy, just a bit frustrating to see the potential sit idly by ... and he won't trade ... don't blame him he's happy ... but I said if I can get you ... yadie .. yadieyada ... yyou know the drill ...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  10. compgeek89

compgeek89 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1080ti SC2
    Oooo, do tell :D

11. bbvdd2

bbvdd2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 960 WHITE SLI
    AMD pre applies a thermal paste, more like a powder than becomes a paste when heat is applied, so there is some sort of thermal tranfer happening. If not it would get very warm without any.

How are you applying yours? Per AS5 instructions of a small amount about the size of a grain of rice or a BB in the center of the CPU heat spreader and attaching heatsink strait down on top, trying not to move heatsink around while seating it. Then run a burn in type program for a few days to let the AS5 settle in.

12. Mechachrome

Mechachrome Member

GPU:
    ASUS 8800GT
    Opteron 144 (CACJE 0604APMW)
    TCasemax 55c TDP 38.2w

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=80279
    Prime95 4+ hours an memtest86+(neat its in the bios)4 hours.CPU Volt 1.4
    Cooling Thermaltake Big Typhoon,Smartguardian an speedfan has it idle at 22c an under load prime/OCCT 33c.
    I really like the DFI board(good choice)allthough the ram bios will take me awhile to get a grasp on it,theirs ALOT you can change it seems an my timings are on auto atm

Timings: 3-3-3-6 2T divider is 140

3DMark 05 score 9328 (not full version).Question when it runs the cpu test i only get 1-3 fps during the airship test no different than my FX-51(6800gt) i figure it must be my ram timings.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  13. compgeek89

compgeek89 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1080ti SC2
    Opteron 170 CCBWE 0543TPMW

2725 1.5v prime stable

Dont know what 1.55v may bring, but its for sale.

14. Nope its pretty much an exclusive cpu test, ram might help some but even at 3.2Ghz with good ram timings I get the same. It would probably take a 4ghz 64bit cpu to just get 2-4fps its a very intense test.

Despite how the FPS might not change much the actual cpu score should be notably diffrent tho.

15. Mechachrome

Mechachrome Member

GPU:
    ASUS 8800GT
    Thanks for the heads up:) yes my scores between the 2 are different.

16. TomCatV

TomCatV Maha Guru

GPU:
    Ti4200 "My-Fast"
    I found this reviewer's quote pretty amusing, while browsing the Egg from Rogers tip on the DFI "Expert" sale ...

Beware the guy who kinda "talks the talk" but obviously "ain't really walkin' the walk!":O ... "got nOOB?" ... gotta love "Wild's" avatar!:)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16819103596

[00000awesome
    Pros: 11x multiplier makes this littlt baby able to run at 3gz+ with the HTT raised lower that other a64 chips. i have mine running at 3.2ghz stable on air (non stock cooling) it beats my friends fx57 by almost 300 points.

Cons: none at all.

Other Thoughts: my sys: asrock 939dual sataII (custom bios) 7800gt 9600xt 256mb fortissmo III 7.1 120gb ata 250gb sataII x2 19in crt x115lcd mx3100 dual nec dvd burners AMD OPTERON 148 @ 3.2ghz(290x11) aspire concord 500w 1gb pc3200 corsair value select @320mhz 2.5cas

Reviewed By: sparks, 3/9/2006 12:45:23 AM
    This reviewer reports that his/her technical understanding of this type of product is high and has owned this product between 1 week to 1 month.
    1 out of 1 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    ]

Wonder what his definition of "Stable" is???:frown: ... :nerd:
    I'm also buying stock in "Corsair INC."

Last edited: Mar 26, 2006
  17. compgeek89

compgeek89 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1080ti SC2
    Opteron 170 0550UPMW
    3013mhz 7 hours prime small FFT stable @ 1.525v

18. TomCatV

TomCatV Maha Guru

GPU:
    Ti4200 "My-Fast"
    How's this for a controversial statement! ... referring to post #381 "Jury's still out on the duallies?" ...

If you can't afford the 80$+, or so, extra dollars for a 170 (quality bang for buck$$$ +10multi) over a 165 ... or don't have a co-opt or a wholesale'r to work with to get a nice 165 ... or the resource's to weed through several chips for core differentials within the CPU itself & inconsistant IHS seating ... the overall core consistancy is relative to what you pay for $$$ ...

Buy the 170 or be prepared to at least go naked ... take the IHS off ... if you need to clock over appx 2.5- 2.6 (truely stable) ... remember AMD speed bins for a reason and it may not be more apparent than here ... of course there are exceptions, just hope this helps for spending hard-earned dollars on what your looking for ... MHO ... :)

19. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    I just edited this post as I had asked about removing the IHS from my Opty. Well I have decided that a few degrees C just isn't worth the work involved so I'm just going to leave it on. With that said, have any of you guys who have removed their IHS actually seen decent temp drops after removing the heatspreader? Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  20. TomCatV

TomCatV Maha Guru

GPU:
    Ti4200 "My-Fast"
    You've got great timing! ... I was just pulling together my notes for a friend on IHS removal and the different techniques I've tried:nerd: ... saw your post and was having a self debate weather I'd recommend you do this or not?:rolleyes: ... You've got a pretty good chip there and unless you want to turn it into a "Sport" chip!:nerd: ... and have future plans for a dullie (170?) to be your future workhorse, I was going to really make sure you wanted to do this?:frown: ... looks like you came to a reasonable conclusion on your own!:dave: ... PM for future ref ... and in the meantime "Tyt" did a nice documentary w/pics not using advanced solvent techniques!:nerd: ...

IHS removal
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=168141&highlight=IHS+removal

The 165 duallies seem to have the best argument for this "Surgical Procedure" @ the moment ... funny how this whole topic has re-emerged rather heavily in the last week?:rolleyes: ...:nerd:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006