***** unlocks anti-Apple campaign

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

The quartet of posters shown below was photographed in New York city over the weekend by a MacRumors forum jockey. Of course this isn't the first time we've seen ***** pounce on Apple foibles and it...

More...

2. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    You should fix the filter at least so that the "Guru3d News" user could write Nok1a without the word getting filtered out.

But yea, I think that picture in the article says everything. At least that's how I feel.

3. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Nobody forced you to buy the phone.

Nobody forced you to hack your phone.

If you don't like the closed source, here's a simple tip.
    Don't buy the iPhone.

If you don't want to hack your phone so you can go onto another network.
    Here's a great tip.
    Don't buy the iPhone.

And lastly, don't bitch about how your phone gets bricked or broken after an update, because YOU DID SOMETHING YOU SHOULDN'T DO.

4. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    So what does the "going onto another network" exactle mean? That I couldn't use anything else than some "Apple certified" network?

5. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Quoted and shortened for clarity.

6. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    So in the states, iPhone is designed and locked into the AT&T network.

If you HACK your phones so it works on another network, that's your problem, nothing to do with Apple.

You knew full well that it was designed to only be on AT&T.

That's definitely not what I said either Double_Cut

If you are whinning about it being on AT&T or a closed source (Like N0kia or any other company can complain, they're all closed source, Windows Mobile, Sony ********, SymbianOS) Fine N0kia has some with Linux atm, but they suck and aren't that popular.

7. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Why are you being so angry and hostile? I just asked what it means. So all data transferring is done via the AT&AT network? I mean, at least with my phone, I can access internet via any network I want.

8. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    It's hard to see if you were being sarcastic or not.

So everything is on the AT&T network, your phone calls, your data for the internet etc. So all your bills come from AT&T.

There's people out there that don't like AT&T and want to use the iPhone, but not be with AT&T, so they hack their phone, change how the operating system works, and then have been complaining that when Apple releases an Update, that it's unfair their phone got accidentally bricked.

When the whole reason it happened, was them, they hacked their phone, then they updated their phone.

People just like to blame people for their wrong doings, nothing to do with Apple, and it just looks like N0kia is taking a dig at Apple, when they themselves are no better than any other phone manufacturer out there.

9. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Ok, got it. I snooped around myself too and apparently it's basically SIM-locked. Oh well, doesn't matter for me because I don't own an iPhone.

Sucks for the people who got their phone bricked though ;D

10. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Of course it sucks.

But I don't really see what their problem is.
    I've had phones that have been Sim Locked into a network, and you can have programs out there that unlock it for you.

But if that unlock program doesn't work, I wouldn't go and blame the manufacturer, that's just stupid, it was me who stuffed my phone, I'd be blaming the people who made the hack.

But apparently everyone else likes to blame Apple for their mistakes, easy escape goat I suppose.

11. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    I've never had a SIM-locked phone and neither have any of the people I know. I think only G3 phones are allowed to be sold "SIM-locked" in Finland. But you can unlock the phone after the contract expires. So that means we aren't seeing an iPhone here in Finland.

12. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    True enough. But if the hack worked and you had a working unlocked phone and the manufacturer later did something on purpose to ruin your phone, that is not all right. That I believe is the main issue.

13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I agree with what Apple is doing fully. It's their product, they chose to have it locked onto AT&T, nothing else. You're voiding the warrenty by unlocking it, and flashing the bios, which isn't even 100% safe for your iphone. They're protecting the privacy and security of their product, I see nothing wrong with that now. I do think they go a little bit to far by completely destroying the unlocked phones, I think they should like atleast disconnect it somehow, but not brick it. Microsoft does the same thing with hacked 360s, but you can atleast still play games on the hacked 360.

14. Joey

Joey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    I agree with vidra here. It's one thing for the phone to break due to an update.. Apple can't, and shouldn't, be responsible for testing all the third party hacks. If it's breaks and you take it to an Apple store for a replacement, then they are well within their rights to tell you where to get off.
    BUT... it's something entirely different for them to DELIBERATELY brick a customer's phone because they unlocked the SIM. It's perfectly legal to unlock your property to work on other phone networks. The iphone is sold as a standalone phone. If the phone was free or subsidized because of a contract, then they might be able to argue that's not full the customer's property till that contract ends... but you don't have to sign up with AT&T when you got it.
    So it's a fuzzy issue. Unfortunately it's going to be tricky to work out if they did indeed brick people's phones on purpose. Even trickier to decide whether Apple should fix them.. They probably won't.

15. QuadCannons

QuadCannons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 210
    There's one simple thing that doesn't make sense:

Why get an unlocked iPhone?
    It's risky
    It's troublesome
    It's more expensive
    Some features don't work on other networks
    No special pricing for data plan on other networks

Basically if you could afford an unlocked iPhone there's no reason you couldn't have just gotten one normally and get onto the AT&T network

16. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    For £269 on contract (as I understand it) I really don't care. At that price it deserves to fail miserably imo.

17. mike41

mike41 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Evga 560ti
    Calm down young one

unlocking is legal and really wont brick your phone.

www.modmyiphone.com for your iphone hackign needs!

18. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    There's a difference between legal, and what it's designed for. The Iphone right now is designed with its features to work with AT&T. No other provider. Just because you're able to do something, doesn't mean you should. If you're voiding the warrenty, you're obviously asking for some type of trouble.

Bottom line, this is what it comes down to. Apple chooses what they want to do with the Iphone, because it's their product. It's not open source, it's not a democracy.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  19. IriSh`

IriSh` Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire x1950 256MB
    Like others have said it is perfectly understandable if the update unintentionally bricked the phone. It would be pretty sad if Apple intentionally did it. Its like saying if you don't take exactly what we give you then you get NOTHING!!! I hope thats not the case...

20. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Why not? Like I said, it's not up to you to decide what phone company you're going to use your Iphone with. It's Apples, it's not a democracy. Like I said, I do think they went a bit to far bricking peoples unlocked iphones, but I understand and agree with why they did it. You are hacking the iphone, modding it, flashing the bios, you are revealing the security holes in the Iphone, and Apple is patching those holes back up, and punishing people who have done this. It's basically the same thing as downloading a movie, and the company knows, but obviously they're going to do something about it. Why? It's their product, and breaking the legal binding released to the public when the movie was released. Now, I'm not sure if it's legal, or illegal to unlock the iphone, but you are changing the iphone NOT ACCORDING to apples design. If you want a phone that's unlocked, DON'T GET AN IPHONE. If you want an Iphone, deal with AT&Ts horrible minute rates. It's not even guaranteed that another phone company will even take the unlocked phone.

Apple is showing what'll happen if you mess with them. GOOD FOR THEM. Atleast they really show an example of what will happen to the iphone if you do.