Unknown Device In Device Manager

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by RaidWolf, Jan 19, 2006.

1. RaidWolf

RaidWolf New Member

GPU:
    Hercules ATI 9700 Pro 128mb agp
    Here's the situation. While upgrading from Hercules 9700 Pro to Ati x850 Pro 256mb Vivo using the same NGO 5.13 catalyst drivers I keep getting the unknown device in XP's Device Manager. However, the drivers from what I can tell so far installed fine. I don't see any missing features or options at the moment. The new video card was detected and so was my monitor.

When I still had the 9700 pro and was using ngo's 5.13 I never had this problem.

I tried uninstalling the driver using Driver Cleaner Professional (the latest version) via safe mode before reinstalling them. All prior drivers look clean as far as I can tell. Did this 2x and each time I'm still getting the unknown device.
    I also tried just uninstalling the unknown device, but after I reboot, window's found new hardware wizard comes on and prompts me to use Window Update, internet, etc... to locate drivers. I just cancel it since I presumed since the Ngo driver installed fine, why would I let windows automatically locate and install drivers for me.

I tried Omega's new 6.1 driver and the same result. However, with omega's driver each time I reboot my pc, it hangs at a black screen (my monitor light goes from green to orange). To remedy the problem I had to press the actual reset button on my pc. Since this was such a big problem, I just went back to Ngo's 5.13 with the unknown device problem still there. At least I don't see a black screen.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Running Windows XP Pro SP2 with latest critical updates. 1.5 gb of ram. Ati x850 pro 256mb AGP Vivo. If I miss something that may help you diagnose the problem, let me know asap.
    I'll continue to research the problem via google and visiting several other different forums relating to video cards and drivers. Thanks.

2. psYchOBilly

psYchOBilly Member

GPU:
    Powercolour X850XT PE AGP 605/605
    RaidWolf
    I don't know your card but I had to install the WDM (VIVO) drivers to remove the unknown device on my x850xt. They are separate from Omega and NGO drivers. Omega site has a link to WDM driver at ATI site.
    If your card has video in / video out you may need to do teh same.
    Good luck

3. Raikku

Raikku Master Guru

GPU:
    POV GTX 280
    I have same problem with Warcats 5.13.

My earlier card was Nvidia 6600Gt but i uninstalled Forcewares and ran the Driver Cleaner Pro (Cab-cleaner too).

I have Asus x850xt(agp) now, and after installing there is few yellow question marks in device manager(other devices), display adapter is ok and everything works otherwise.

Also everytime when i start the machine, Windows wants to start installing something, but i just click that screen down, and that's it, although strange.

I don't even have a clue is my card vivo or not.

4. RaidWolf

RaidWolf New Member

GPU:
    Hercules ATI 9700 Pro 128mb agp
    Thanks psYchOBilly. That suggestion hit the spot. I only installed the wdm drivers only using those at www.ati.com. It looks like it installed 2 files that I can tell thus far in the sound, video and game controllers of device manager. They are the Ati wdm Rage Theater Video NSP and Ati wdm Specialized MVD Codec.

The Ati wdm drivers that I used were the latest 6.1. They appear to be working thus far with Ngo's 5.13 drivers. Thanks again for your help!

5. cmay119

cmay119 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980 Ti Classified
    Right click on the unknown device > properties > reinstall device driver > aim the installer at the 5.13 driver, and see if it finds the proper driver for itself.

I don't know if you've tried this yet, but that usually works for me if a piece of hardware isn't fully updated by a driver install.