University Laptop

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by Omeguz, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Infested Nexus

Infested Nexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M
    It should, though its impossible to predict with complete certainty - who knows DX10 may feature some new hardware accelerated feature which is all the rage with game developers leading to the obselescene of all DX9 GPU's - but in all probability it should be able to handle everything, with settings being turned down as time goes on.

The only other alternative to this laptop would be the Asus A8Jm which is very similair but features the Go 7600 instead of the X1600 (should offer similair performance), however it only sports a 6-cell battery and doesn't have the optical bay battery option like the W3J so less battery life.

2. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    Wait till memrom then, just hold yourself off.

3. Omeguz

Omeguz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6600 256 MB AGP
    Might that make sense? To wait? Crap, that's added a WHOLE NEW FACTOR. Would that be a smart move? Only thing is, I DO need a laptop by August 20th.! Still need to figure assembly and shipping into that!

AH! :(

4. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    Conroe I beleive is releasing the 23rd of July, and there might be mobile by then. Just wait it out and if it doesn't release by then, buy the laptop you were going to buy previously.

5. Omeguz

Omeguz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6600 256 MB AGP
    Well, I've looked or the Asus W3J and can't seem to find it...anywhere.

The only Asus laptops I could find are the W5 series and some others. Basically, only the ones on the ASUS website.

@ LordofDoom: My fear with waiting is that I REALLY want to get this solved ASAP. I don't want to risk waiting forever, only to find out that I can't get a memrom OR any other notebook because I left it too late and the shipping won't be in time.
    :frown:

6. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    Merom isn't coming out until August though. Conroe is the desktop varient of the Core 2, while Merom is the mobile version. If you can't wait that long, the CoreDuo should be fine.

7. Omeguz

Omeguz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6600 256 MB AGP
    Alright, so here's a dumb question, but to be able to make a good decision, I need to know...

What is memrom and what difference will it make to me? I will go try to read up on it now, but more specificall, what is the advantage, how big is the advantage.

In the end: Is the advantage big enough to be able to say that it makes sense to wait? :)

8. Infested Nexus

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M
    The merom promises to deliver 20% increased perfomance over the current Core Duo processor and has 64-bit support as well as other platform changes such as support for SSE4.

It will be a much more 'future proof' solution - however in reality the Core Duo processor is already very powerful and the MR X1600 will be the limiting factor to future games not the processor. Then again there may be new mobile GPU's paired with merom laptops.

If you can wait a few months (A decent selection of laptops sporting merom processors most probably won't be available for a few months after the paper launch) then you will be getting a superior product - however if it's going to be a large inconvinence not having a laptop for college during that time period then a Core Duo notebook will suit all your needs just fine.

9. Omeguz

Omeguz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6600 256 MB AGP
    Well, I suppose I can get a really simple laptop (might be able see if friends have an old one) just for word processing, you know.

What is MR X1600? :frown:

10. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    MR X1600 is Mobility Radeon X1600

11. Omeguz

Omeguz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6600 256 MB AGP
    Ok, so if Infested Nexus is telling me that it's the limiting factor, not the processor...then I should wait for a better gfx card?

12. Infested Nexus

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M
    No, what I was trying to illustrate is that the Core Duo is a powerful enough processor that the MR X1600 will become a limiting factor to gaming before the processor will - meaning that if it will be quite an inconvinience for you to wait for merom go ahead and purchase a laptop now.

13. TheGriffin

TheGriffin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    Omeguz,

I barely understood anything but I tried to surf around Dell's German website and I found this, I mean I don't know if that's a good price to you but here is what I found when I converted $ to euros.

http://configure2.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=de&cs=dedhs1&l=de&oc=N06947&rbc=N06947&s=dhs&sbc=dedhsrsinspn_9400_1

http://configure2.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=de&cs=dedhs1&l=de&oc=N06946&rbc=N06946&s=dhs&sbc=dedhsrsinspn_9400_2

They look pretty decent, I mean a Geforce 7900 :p...

BTW, The more advanced your hardware is the lower ur battery life is, so I would say those ^ laptops are about 1.5 hours in gaming mode and 3 or 2.5 in normal operation.

14. Omeguz

Omeguz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6600 256 MB AGP
    I think I might wait for Memrom. You all said it was coming out August, does that mean I'll be able to get ahold of it in August? Or will there be an enormous backorder?

Are we convinced that Alienware isn't good? I really need to decide very soon and Alienware seems to...take care of everything for me. I'm just crap at making decisions, you know. I'm crap at deciding whether to go with Core Duo or wait for Memrom. Part of the reason that I can't decide is because I'm not really tech savvy enough to understand what the best choice is! :frown:

15. Cry

Cry Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080TI SeaHawk
    Dont go alienware thats my suggestion. Dell are great untill you want to upgrade the parts inside as you have to buy the compatable stuff for it, but with laptops you dont really upgarde them like a desktop.

If you are undesided and dont really despertly need one at this moment in time wait for the Memrom, then you got the better one after all. If you depertly need one here and now get the CoreDuo.

Good luck :)

16. Infested Nexus

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M
    It's doubtful that a decent selection of Merom based laptops will be available by the end of August. Aditionally Merom is socket compatible with Core Duo so if you ever want to upgrade you should be able to provided your laptop's BIOS supports it.

Basically your choices should you wish to purchase a laptop now are either a 12/13'' laptop with a Go 7400 (Sony VGN-SZ, XPS M1210), a 14/15'' laptop with an MR X1600 (Asus W3J), or a 17'' laptop with a 7900 GTX (Clevo M570U//Rock Direct XtremeCTX).

From these I would reccomend the W3J if you're planning on using your laptop on the go, and the XtremeCTX if you're planning on using it primarily plugged in and not in class etc.

17. Omeguz

Omeguz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6600 256 MB AGP
    I see! So when might Memrom become available? And how do I chose a laptop who'd BIOS would support memrom? How do I get it upgraded to memrom once it's out?

Also, I think the laptop will mainly be in my room, but I will be flying home with it every few months. Is the Xtreme "un-carryable"?

Also, maybe I'll get a second hand, crappy laptop that just runs MS Word until memrom is out, since I do NEED one by the end of August for Uni.

18. Infested Nexus

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M
    In all probability, you won't find the need to upgrade to merom at all if you get a Core Duo laptop, as the Core Duo processor is already very powerful and shouldn't be the limiting factor in any task you are performing. It will probably be at least a month after the release date till a decent selection of Merom laptops are available. The Xtreme is not "un-carryable," and based on what you've said seems like a good choice for you.

Of course you can't go wrong with waiting, provided you can find a computer to utilize in the mean time.

19. Omeguz

Omeguz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6600 256 MB AGP
    First off, thanks for walking me through this, Infested Nexus. I am very nervous about making a wrong decision. I aprecciate it!

So you are saying that I shouldn't let Memrom limit me in chosing? Because right now, the only thing stopping me from ordering a notebook is that I should wait for Memrom. How much of a disadvantage will it be to not have memrom in, say, 2 years? Considering Vista and new games?
    There's a possibility that I can get a loaner notebook for 2-3 months.

Thanks all! :) We're getting there!

20. Infested Nexus

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M
    As I said abouve, for gaming the graphics card will become a limiting factor FAR before the processor will.

However if you're willing to wait, then I would say do that - you'll get more for your money for coping with the inconvinence of a slow laptop for a few months.