Unexpected Restart Issue - UEFI settings reset - B450m Pro4

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by howardknob, Dec 3, 2019.

1. howardknob

howardknob New Member

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 570
    Issue (my specs are at the bottom):

I have had a strange issue with my computer where it on two occasions (8/4/2019 & 11/17/2019) has restarted either during sleep, or possibly leading into a sleep cycle. When the computer restarted on these occasions, all settings in UEFI reset to default settings and upon logging back into Windows I received a Radeon error:

"Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure"

I only noticed the UEFI settings revered to default because at the time of the first occurrence my 2 Hitachi HDDs appeared unavailable. At that time, I had the two drives configured in a RAID array and when the UEFI settings reverted to default settings, the SATA controller reverted to AHCI mode. My UEFI firmware version at this time was 3.1. I upgraded my firmware to 3.5, which was the newest that ASRock had released just a couple weeks prior.

At the time of the first unexpected reboot, I didn't think to look at the time, but my memory XMP profile reverted back to using the default speed of 2133 (instead of 3000). It wasn't until sometime in late October/early November that I thought to go back in UEFI to check the memory profile. At that time, I re-enabled the memory XMP profile. Also around that time, I reconfigured the SATA controller to be in AHCI mode and configured a storage space within Windows as this better met my needs for the 2 HDDs.

On 11/17, I noticed that once again my computer restarted unexpectedly and reset all the UEFI settings to their default values. Since the memory XMP profile was the only thing I had set, that was the only thing that was effected and it had switched back to the default speed of 2133. When I logged back into Windows, I also noticed that I received the Radeon error that stated:

"Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure"

In event viewer, I can see the following critical error at around the time I think it happened on 11/17/2019:

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Just prior to the above error, I can see the following warnings (5 occur about 30 seconds beforehand):

"Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued."

The same set of events appears to have occurred on 8/4/2019 (first time it happened).

I'm not sure what the cause of the problem could be. I'm leaning on a hardware issue (probably the board), but could be a driver issue as well. The one thing I would like to point out is that my memory does not appear on the QVL for the motherboard, so the XMP profile in the memory may be the issue causing the reboot. In both cases, I had been playing a game (I think), which would have been The Division 2 (only game I've played on this rig). The strange thing is that when the random restart occurs, it is always after I have finished playing/using the computer - never when I'm there using it.

Does anyone out there have any experience with this strange rebooting/resetting of UEFI settings issue or have any insight into what could be causing it? I wish there were some UEFI logging I could do as this issue has me stumped.

I submitted the issue to ASRock through their support page and they said they would be glad to RMA the board for me so I have gone ahead and started that process. They also suggested it may be a problem with my PSU, but I've never had any power issues with my rig while using it.

Does it sound like a board issue or maybe something else like my PSU or my RAM? Thank you for any help anyone can provide.

Computer Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
    Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
    Storage: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
    Storage (2 of these): Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 570 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card
    Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
    Power Supply: Rosewill 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
    Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC55BT B1 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter
    Monitor: Dell SE2717H 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor

Estimated Wattage: 379 watts
    Build Date: May 2019

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    what raid driver is installed.

3. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    What chips does your memory have? I had a hellish time with my 1600X and my B450M Pro 4. Mynon QVL memory never ran under XMP and it never ran at rated speeds.

4. howardknob

howardknob New Member

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 570
    When I had my SATA controller in RAID mode the driver that was used was 9.2.0.105. I checked AMDs page and they say

"This driver package supports the operating system/boot device included in the RAID array and standalone NVMe boot device with a separate SATA RAID storage array."

At the time, I had a stand alone NVMe boot device with separate SATA RAID storage array. I have read that they did have some drivers at first that did not support this configuration. It was either all or nothing in RAID mode from what I understand until they came out with the newer drivers.

5. howardknob

howardknob New Member

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 570
    They are long DIMMs. They are not on the QVL for the board - I should have checked before getting them. Would that cause the board to restart and set all settings back to default though?

6. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    What I mean by what kind is the actual chips of memory. Use the program Taiphoon burner to find out. Also for some reason when a memory OC fails the B450M PRO 4 seems to like to do an entire CMOS clear.

howardknob likes this.
  7. howardknob

howardknob New Member

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 570
    Here is my memory info (sorry for the bad formatting):

MEMORY MODULE
    Manufacturer
    GeIL
    Series
    Not determined
    Part Number
    CL16-18-18 D4-3000
    Serial Number
    00000000h
    JEDEC DIMM Label
    8GB 1Rx8 PC4-2133P-UA0-10
    Architecture
    DDR4 SDRAM UDIMM
    Speed Grade
    DDR4-2133P
    Capacity
    8 GB (8 components)
    Organization
    1024M x64 (1 rank)
    Register Model
    N/A
    Manufacturing Date
    January 14-18 / Week 03, 2019
    Manufacturing Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Revision / Raw Card
    0000h / A0 (8 layers) ​

DRAM COMPONENTS
    Manufacturer
    Micron Technology
    Part Number
    D9TBH (MT40A1G8WE-083E:B)
    Package
    Standard Monolithic 78-ball FBGA
    Die Density / Count
    8 Gb B-die (Z01A / 20 nm) / 1 die
    Composition
    1024Mb x8 (64Mb x8 x 16 banks)
    Clock Frequency
    1067 MHz (0.938 ns)
    Minimum Timing Delays
    15-15-15-36-51
    Read Latencies Supported
    16T, 15T, 14T
    Supply Voltage
    1.20 V
    XMP Certified
    1502 MHz / 16-18-18-36-68 / 1.35 V
    XMP Extreme
    Not programmed
    SPD Revision
    1.0 / January 2014
    XMP Revision
    2.0 / December 2013 ​

FREQUENCY CAS RCD RP RAS RC FAW RRDS RRDL CCDL
    1067 MHz 16 15 15 36 51 23 4 6 6
    1067 MHz 15 15 15 36 51 23 4 6 6
    933 MHz 14 14 14 31 44 20 4 5 5 ​

FREQUENCY CAS RCD RP RAS RC FAW RRDS RRDL
    1502 MHz 16 18 18 36 68 32 5 8 ​

8. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    Well at least it's not Hynix it still could be memory related but I'm only going of of my similarly unexplainable happenings.

9. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    B-Die with CL16 at 3000? Hell, those chips should manage 3200 CL14 at least. But btt.

The BIOS Chip is powered by a separate circuit from a battery on your mainboard. The battery is charged directly from your PSU (AFAIK by separate circuit through the mainboard to your 24-pin ATX connector), so in theory there should be nothing resetting it hardware-wise except board or PSU.
    Sadly manufacturers thought it would be a great idea to expose the whole bios configuration to the OS, so software like ASUS AISuite or others may read ... and write (!!!) ... to BIOS as required. So software wise it could be some software is messing with your BIOS. But then it should happen more often. Every boot or so ...
    But I have to say I heard from strange issues with those tuning tools. I think tomshardware encountered an insane "mis-set" of settings while they tried to test OC through Windows / software. You could rule those out easily by uninstalling all those tools and set values in BIOS directly, which I would advise anyone owning a Ryzen 1st gen anyway (I do own a 1700).

A weak bios battery could lead to a reset, but you would be the first one I encounter in more than 25 years to have this after such a short time span. Very unlikely!

So not much from my side, but probably it helps a bit. ;)

10. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    Those aren't Bdie They are Micron