Undervolting 2600X

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Leon.S.K, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Leon.S.K

Leon.S.K Guest

GPU:
    using Ryzen master i got the temp to where i want em pretty cool under load with stock speed/smt off

however when i try to enter the same value into the bios . PC crash on next reboot.

what am i doing wrong ?

Attached Files:

2. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Can I ask what exactly you trying to accomplish with SMT off and such a lower voltage.
    I can make a suggestion, set default everything in BIOs and just change CPU Voltage and let CPU do it own boosting.
    EG:2600X

3. Leon.S.K

Leon.S.K Guest

GPU:
    its the temp.. everything on stock except xmp will ramp the cpu temp to 71c
    while with my current settings its at 46 at max

which did cost me a lot of FPS in my game , as well as enabling SMT

4. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    71°C is perfectly fine temperature for a CPU and not hot at all. It does seem a little extreme what you have done but it is your computer.

Your computer crashed because CPU voltage is to low.

Some suggestions. Set a fan curve to keep temperatures lower while gaming and silent on desktop when not gaming. Adjust to your tolerance of noise. Use the advanced menus for settings on your motherboard.

You can use stock heatsink also and set fancurve in BIOS.
    Set CPU voltage and CPU clock speed in advance menu on your motherboard. For you I would suggest
    4000 CPU clock speed
    1170 CPU Voltage thru to 1200 CPU Voltage at 4000Mhz CPU clock speed

After setting ,do some real stress test with AIDA 64 system stability test, to ensure not crashing while gaming.
    AIDA 64 Stress test is free for trial version and will make your CPU very hot but it can insure that gaming will be stable and gaming will be lower temperatures.

2600X 4000Mhz @ 1175 CPU Voltage fully Intel Burn test 55°C-59°C.This is excellent result and gaming will be in the 40's°C

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020

5. Leon.S.K

Leon.S.K Guest

GPU:
    wow i like your motherboard bios !!
    ok i have few questions. if you don't mind

- why the voltage readings in RyzenMaster are different from other apps and bios as well ?
    - is aida64 like the old Prime95 for stress testing ( as good i mean ) ?

6. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    The Motherboard BIOS is the cut down version without all of the graphic crap.

Ryzen Master is doing an average of CPU voltage depending on which Ryzen Master you are using. There are a couple places to take CPU voltage reading from and they will vary a little bit with different software, also AMD Ryzen Algorithm turns the CPU voltages off/on so fast it is hard to get 100% accurate reading at any time, not important. Ryzen CPU's are very efficient.

Aida64 is a tool with various test and the stress test is similar to old Prime95/Intel Burn Test. They are not needed for 100% stable gaming but I suggested AIDA64 to test your CPU for stability and to see if your CPU overheats like 95°C in like 20-30 minutes of use. You do not have to stress test. I assume you only want reliable PC gaming .You can just make some changes in the BIOS.There are a couple different ways to make the changes in the BIOS, just pick one way ,like in the advanced menu in BIOS and stick with it. Ryzen Master is a tool for making changes on desktop but it is more wise to make changes in BIOS for permanent settings for stability.

If you want to read about AMD Ryzen voltages, this is from AMD employee on the matter.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen..._medium=Search&utm_name=Bing&utm_content=PSR1

7. Leon.S.K

Leon.S.K Guest

GPU:
    ok this is driving me nuts.
    Nothing i input in bios updates into windowss
    tried setting core to 36 and 40 i load into windows it still locks at 38, set bios to default and asus settings to default , same thing .

when i completely reset bios settings and had everything in auto , now its running at 3.9 but i feel like the auto voltages are way too high and there is sudden freezing but no crashes .

Attached Files:

8. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    When you make changes in BIOS they will work in Windows. I suggest you look up your Motherboard on youtube.

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Thing is that AMD provides default options and MB manufacturers often link them to different places in their own menus.
    That results in having exposed same options in multiple places and often under different names.

For example my BIOS has 3 places where I can set clock directly or multiplier. PBO/XFR options are present twice. Fabric boosting behavior is even named quite differently and is in 3 places. And this goes on and on.

But common pattern is that values in AMD's menus are not used in situation where manufacturer's menu is used.
    Therefore it is possible that you are changing "AMD CBS" values while "AMD Overclocking" values are set, or even some MB manufacturer's OC Tweaker extra menu is active.
    - - - -
    I am sure that as long as menu is present at least once, MB/CPU should be capable to behave accordingly to settings. If you have some important values for memory, fan, ... take screenshots. And reset BIOS to Defaults. And then set only things you want to set.

Your issue may be even due to tests in Ryzen Master, because it has to write those values to BIOS settings. And there, you likely have no chance knowing exact menu where you need to reset given value.