Understanding why my Ryzen 3600 is at 4025Mhz During Cinebench

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Slinkyminx, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Greetings.

Just wondering why my 3600 boosts to only 4025Mhz during Cinebench instead of 4200Mhz.

Cinebench r20 score is 3616-3617 tested twice.

Temps hit about 76 in a spicy room.

During battlefield the cores hit 4125-4175Mhz usually (so, it does it...)

Cheers.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    all core turbo is up to 3.9ghz.

3. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Cheers. That's confusing, so you mean when all cores are being used at once it boosts to 3.9 instead of 4.2 ?

If this is the case, why is mine boosting to 4.02 and have read others who say during cinebench r20 theirs is boosting to 4.1+ even.

Cheers.

In fact looking at Afterburner there are times all cores are at 4200Mhz at once, but not during intensive stress tests like cinebench - just trying to understand cheers.

4. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    The processor clocks depending on a number of scenarios such as if there is enough thermal or power headroom. Light loads on the processor (so programs that aren't complex) will often see the processor clocking up to its maximum whereas heavy complex loads that require a lot of power or cause high temperatures will cause the processor to clock lower.

Usually however, heat is what dictates a processors abilities to automatically clock higher, better cooling will often result in better clockspeeds. There is some degree of silicon lottery but Ryzen CPUs are tightly binned so the variation isn't that much different from one another.

Could you give a little more details on your setup, maybe there are some things that could be tweaked that will allow you to optimise performance for example, what is the cooler you're using for your CPU and what RAM and Motherboard are you using?

chinobino and Slinkyminx like this.

5. GarrettL

GarrettL Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2070S
    Motherboard manufacturers run the chips a bit differently as well. Some push them and others stay closer to AMD’s stated speeds.

Slinkyminx likes this.
  6. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    the 3600 has a base all core clock of 3600 which would be a worst case scenario if you had a cooling issue or something. Then TDP\cooling permitted the chip will boost all cores up to as close to 4200 as it can.

Slinkyminx likes this.
  7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    I have a 3600 running with an Asus ROG STRIX Gaming board, initially with the free Wraith Stealth cooler.
    Turbo under very light loads would boost to 4200MHz.
    When running Prime95 it would drop to 4GHz, load temp 68C at 1.4 ish Volts, ambient less than 27C.

After dropping load voltage manually to 0.90265V, load temps dropped to 58C and it would boost to around 4100MHz while running Prime95.
    Ambient 27C.

Today it was fitted with a Deep Cool Gammaxx 400 V2 cooler and it boosted under load to between 4150 and 4175MHz with load temp around 49C (ambient still 27C).
    (Not on max fan, a bit over 50% fan speed)
    Then I changed a setting in the BIOS that auto overclocks the CPU and memory (or so it says) and now it holds 4200MHz with Prime95 still at 49C.

This is running Prime95 with AVX but I dont think its actually using AVX because there is no change in power use or heat as it runs.
    So treat this is if its using none AVX Prime95.

chinobino and Slinkyminx like this.
  8. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    2080S
    Yeah, play a bit with VCore. In sense, lower it a bit. Then check results. Prime or gaming(I would in gaming/gaming benchmarks, like WOT encore).
    This CPUs are very temp dependent in their clocking, so lower temp=higher core clocks on auto boost.

Slinkyminx likes this.
  9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    I found using negative offset voltage, I could knock -0.5V from what the mobo wants to supply on auto for full load (the most that can be removed, -0.5V is the offset maxed out). I wanted to drop further but was unable to.
    But once the load was stopped it would crash immediately because idle voltage would drop too low.
    The only way round this I found was to use a permanent voltage of just over 0.9V. Only 0.2V higher than idle voltage (with the latest bios) yet its stable under full load and barely uses any more power at idle.

If you need better cooling, Gammax 400 coolers are dirt cheap, quieter and way more effective than the free coolers that come with the CPUs.
    https://www.deepcool.com/product/cpucooler/index.shtml

AsiJu, chinobino and Slinkyminx like this.
  10. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Really appreciate the great replies guys thank you.

Sure, 3600 with Coolermaster 212, Corsair 3200Mhz and MSI Gaming Pro Carbon Max Wifi

Many thanks Muff I'll check out that deepcool

11. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    honestly id like to see a screenshot with that 49c under prime95 avx at 4.2 as i have an noctua nh-u12a and it goes to 80c on auto everything

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Basically leaving everything on auto and letting pbo do its thing. Some boards push alot of voltage but mine not so much. 2700X isnt different than a 3600. Leaving auto overclock on mine boosts to 4.050mhz on all 8 cores and 4.250mhz on a 3-4cores and 4.350mhz for 1-2 cores. Voltage is around 1.4v - 68c so its all good.

Manually overclocking ryzen leaves some single threaded performance on the table.

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    Read all of the last paragraph I wrote, not just the first bit.

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    Although, for kicks and giggles ...

I grabbed the latest version of Prime95 and it needed me to add .01V to get stable.
    It immediately went to 51C and stayed there for the 19 minutes it had run so far.
    Vcore set at 0.91875V.
    Running at 4200MHz, reported in Asus DIP5 and MSI Afterburner at the bottom.
    It doesnt waver from 4200MHz, it is constant. Same with the CPU temp at 51C, Ambient 27C.
    The fan isnt running at max.

It appears I was running AVX the first time, just an older version!
    Strange how it doesnt change temp with different tests like my Intel 6700K does, that even changed temp on the none AVX Prime95. This 3600 remains at the same temp no matter what.
    This is why I doubted AVX was being used.

ps the mains meter says it is using 99W with an old AMD 5770 gfx card @idle on a Corsair AX750 PSU.

Prime95 AVX AMD 3600.jpg

Its still running so if you would like another screenshot with much longer runtime, do ask.
    ... as you arent online heres another screen grab after over an hour runtime:

Prime95 AVX AMD 3600 after 1hr.jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  15. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    How on earth are you stable at such a low voltage???!! I'm gonna give my CPU a try at 0.9, set what speed it clocks up to. Though I guess because you're using 6 cores, it doesn't need as much as 8...

I know my CPU will go upto to 1.5v on light loads at 4.4ghz when it boosts. Cinebench R20 it goes to 1.3v and sits just above 4ghz (this is all at stock settings). My temps during Cinebench are at the mid 60s and mines under 240mm AIO water

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    I've got no idea, I just tried using a negative offset, while running Prime95, getting lower and lower until I hit the end stop at -0.5V. (But I could only change this low while under heavy load. As soon as it dropped to idle it caused an instant lock up because the idle voltage was also dropped by 0.5V.)
    I looked what actual voltage that was then manually set the voltage a bit lower and originally settled on 0.90625V, but the latest Prime95 needs a little more, 0.91875V.
    It might have something to do with this motherboard, its a B450 with a mix of B450 and X470 features. (Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming)

Once the voltage is set, it doesnt vary with load, it remains almost the same always, even at idle.
    The voltage in use is a little higher as you can see in the images, I stated the value I set in the bios.

ps the cpu cooler had no effect on how low a voltage would work, I first found how low it went using the crappy Wraith Stealth.
    pps The voltage mode was set in the BIOS first and then test tweaked with Asus DIP5 while Prime95 was running.
    Btw, HyperThreading was on.

I'm interested to see what you can achieve :)

17. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    Did you check actual performance ? ;-)
    (Cinebench score for example)

Zen 2 CPUs are full of tricks...

When you give them lower voltage than what they need for a certain clock, they actually run at lower clocks. But Windows doesn't see that, because it's something internal to the CPU. (Ryzen Master does, through some kind of proprietary API)
    If you benchmark with "fixed" clock and various "fixed" voltage, you'll see large differences in performance depending on how much volts you give it.

Give it a try, you'll see.

HandR likes this.
  18. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    I have no clue how it's even stable at that voltage mine if i go with offset at -1v it's done it's going to be bsod and resets and blocked and eventually not even booting so i'm baffled honestly to see it's actually stable at that low voltage...

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    You can see how much work was done running Prime95 by the posted times and how long it took to run each job.
    Perhaps you can run it and see if there is much difference?
    I'll have a look at Cinebench :)

I could only go as low as -0.5V, the mobo wouldnt let it go lower.
    This gave an actual voltage something like 0.95V.
    I then manually set it to just over 0.9V, I certainly couldnt have gone another 0.5V lower!

I explained this above but I'll repeat it for you:
    When I went below -0.25V offset approx, idle became unstable.
    It was only possible to use a larger offset while it was under heavy load.
    As soon as the load was stopped, the idle voltage would drop too low and would insta crash.
    This is why I ended up setting the voltage manually, so it always remains the same at idle and load and is never too low for idle to be stable.
    edit:
    Hmm, there is a small increase in voltage under load that I seem to have ignored.
    At idle it is around 0.904V, under load Prime95 it is 0.937V, with CinebenchR20 its 0.915V.
    I'm not sure if that is significant.

AsiJu likes this.
  20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    Cinebench R20.0.6 score is 3027.
    This is with DDR4 @ 2733MHz C15, T=1.
    Any good?

Cinebench AMD 3600.jpg