Understanding MSI 780 Ti Boost CLock

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Mr Terry Turnip, May 14, 2016.

1. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    Greetings!

Recently picked up an MSI 780 Ti Gaming OC Edition from Ebay.

**EDIT** OK so playing BF Hardline, at 69c and 81% GPU load should it not boost above 888Mhz....

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the boost clock behaviour, it doesn;t make sense, under high enough load should it not just go to the higher clocks? seems stuck on 888Mhz most of the time but it does boost however not at the times one would expect and running 3dMark it's all over the place and I am sure temps are fine at around ~70C

Much appreciate any info!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

During 3dmark it seems to goto 1019 then quickly to 1006 then drops into the 900's

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  2. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Have MSI Afterburner and Rivatuner Statistics Server installed.
    Enable OSD showing GPU power, clock, temp and usage, do same for VRAM.
    Now you can monitor your graphic card parameters in-game.

Card should use base clock when it senses that it is enough for what it does, if I finds it needs more processing power, it should at least boost to the advertised boost clock, if not higher. of course this depends on many factors, including power delivery and quality, GPU temp and voltage stability.

If you run latest version of NVidia inspector(search here in Guru3d.com) you can find out if this card's BIOS has been modified or not (it'll show in BIOS version in field).
    Did the card come with any sort of warranty?

3. Sildur

Sildur Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 4GB (1555/7400)
    I think my GTX770 also had a wonky core clock. To overcome this issue I simply modified my bios, disabled the turbo/boost mode and overclocked the card. Never had problems after that.
    Dunno if you might want to consider that tho..

4. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    Much appreciated.

I reinstalled the drivers and everything seems to be fairly normal now however I will defo consider a BIOS flash and locking the booost clock.

Seems like a right ****e card, standard boost it only goes to 1019. I've clocked it to goto 1071 so far will see how that goes. Not that it's a big deal but uno

5. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I have a Evga gtx 780 sc- My boost clock will hit 1163 Mhz when gpu is at 99% usage...But thing is its rare and only in some games 4 example....
    1) All Metro games will run at those clocks.
    2) Fallout 4 also.

Msi afterburner
    Core voltage-+10 MV
    Power-Limit- 106
    Temp limit-95c Max
    Core clock-+ 20 Mhz
    Memory clock-+ 20Mhz
    Fan speed- 80% during gaming- Temps stay in 50s-60s.

6. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    This is really strange it seems to boost fine in other games but it's REALLY slow to boost in BF4, like 85+% GPU usage and only a little boost, and this is between 60-70c but BF Hardline seems fine and behaves as one would expect. Black Ops 3 also exactly as expected.

7. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    NAH something is not right here just tried Hardline and it's sluggish to boost now also with low temps, got a mild boost at 90% usage... this is weird.

Monitring everything with Afterburner in game

*EDIT* Rebooted and now BF Hardline seems to be boosting exactly as expected, what the hell!?!?

This is making no sense.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  8. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    When I had a 780Ti mine had no issues clocking up to around ~1215-1230Mhz. Usually it pretty much stuck to that. But I'm pretty sure I had BIOS modded to raise the power limits. Honestly it's kinda hard to remember. lol

If you use GPU-Z you can see what reasons it might be limiting the boost clocks, voltage or both. The tooltip shows you what each abbreviation means.

I do remember a few drivers having some funny boost behavior.. might want to try doing DDU and try a different driver??

9. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
  10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Mine acted normal too, I had 780GTX with GK110B chip, so a crippled BlackTitan lol :nerd:

Out of the box it was a base 940MHz boost up to 1084MHz. By lower games it would run ~ 940 - 1006Mhz, this happened mostly with vsync and older games.

Check 780GTX owners thread, I posted few Kepler bios tweaker screenshoots what affects what and how boost acts.

I remember flashing it from base 3d 940 to 1006mhz at real boost 1150MHz@ 1.162v

Gpu2.0 boost has 143MHz base boost difference, by Maxwell nv tweaked more and now it has has ~ 168 to 183mhz. Pascal with gpu3.0 boost ~ 243mhz if that 1850MHz is max peak boost e.g. that leaked 3dmark firestrike extreme picture.

11. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Question- Flashing bios can brick your card cant it? I would try it out if i had a spare gpu lying around-Schouldnt of sold my Gtx 770! Damm.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    If you know what you changed its safe, but if you put in some random/high numbers and hope for the best then it can be risky.

Lol I had such moment @980ti when I tested my max 1.187v limit, flashed too high and it artifact.. I had to re-flash to 2boost steps lower, also tweaked fan profile - bypassed fan off feature..

Last edited: May 16, 2016