underpowered PSU can cause artifacts?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by W@w@Y, Jan 16, 2011.

1. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    Like I said, reverting CPU OC to stock removed the artifacting :) I was even able to finish Mafia 2 last night :) Now I ran furmark and no issues either :)

I also ran Mafia 2 benchmark and 3dmark 11 with no problems

So I guess that rules out GPU as the problem

OK so its either my CPU OC or my PSU then? Id hate it if I replace the PSU and the problem still persists whereas the money spent could have gone to an SSD upgrade..that and the extra cash I have in hand is just enough to buy me an HX650..Wife wouldnt want me to get money from my monthly savings and Im allergic to using the credit card XD

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I meant that as in it was only unstable under load, when the CPU was idling, no chance for artifacts.

Most likely your CPU OC since the OC removed the artifacting.

You're so trying to find an excuse to replace the PSU eh? Just go ahead, it won't solve the problem, 'cept resolve that upgrade itch you have :p.

deltatux

3. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    haha, I just hate it when I replace the PSU, still have problems and the wife nags me about spending on something that didnt fix the problem :p

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    lol and you're prepared to change your PSU when you have no idea what the problem is.
    Brave dude.

5. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    eff it, I think I'll just get a new PSU an HX 850 maybe, Then ask the store to divide the receipt into 2, the first being S$150 then the balance on another and just show the S$150 receipt when I get home..mwahahaha..I hate it when you cant spend your money freely lol :cool::cool:

But really, dont you guys think its my PSU?:eyebrows::eyebrows:

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You've already had that answer, test and ye shall find.

7. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    Im just afraid of running the OC again, test it, then have my PSU explode on me lol

8. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    OK let me just rephrase my question, don't you guys think my PSU is on the edge with respect to my system specs? its got 44a on the 12v but it is already old. I bought this August 2008

9. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    No, I think your 600W PSU is fine as is. It's just that you are itching to upgrade is all.

Most rigs don't eat a lot of their PSU. If you start to SLi, then yes, the 600W is not sufficient at all.

deltatux

10. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    no...those types of artifacts are RAM related...either Vram or system.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It's "possible"...but as Delta said, since reverting back to stock clocks fixed the problem, it's not likely. I'd expect to see a system like your's..running OC'd...with at least a 700watt PSU...but that's more personal preference than technical suggestion. If Chispy has been helping you at all...I'm sure your PSU is sufficient.

12. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    well, I did set my RAM at only 1.54v at almost 1600Mhz speed :nerd:

edit:

I remembered wrongly, its set to 1.654 at almost 1600Mhz speed :) so voltages are not under spec :)

anyway, I tried to resume OC, same settings for everything but BCLK at 175. I ran 3dmark11 and it did not artifact..

I guess I wont be rushing to buy a new PSU then..hmmmm

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  13. Nbz

Nbz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6850 1000/1150
    If your GPU would be getting low juice, it would either cause a crash or low FPS, not artifacting. Atleast thats the way I perceive it.

It was your CPU OC that was causing it since reverting back to defaults fixed the problem.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Nope...at 850/2000 with 0.987v (stock gpu voltage), I get artifacts/stuttering, not crashes.

15. Nbz

Nbz Master Guru

GPU:
    I wasn't talking about how much VDDC you feed to the GPU, I was talking about incase your PSU cannot handle the load on the whole system, it will cause hardware to throttle down, in this case, the GPU or isn't this true?

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    His card could just be broken.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    So, you were referring to the graphics card not getting enough power....not just the GPU itself.

18. Nbz

Nbz Master Guru

GPU:
    Yea the whole card, my bad!
    But is it plausible?

19. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    +1 makalu
    looks like ram artifacts or a bad driver in that game.
    Run some other games check it out more.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  20. FeAr3d

FeAr3d Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6970 2GB
    Looks like a video card driver issue. If it happens from just a particular game I'd doubt you can blame the psu. Have you tried different drivers for your vc and not just the lastest? Sometimes newer drivers can cause issues instead of fixing them. I once had a 6600gt and with the drivers that came with the card Delta Force BHD played perfect. I updated the drivers one day and all of a sudden while playing the sky would change colours and buildings would disappear. (no it wasn't a hack.lol)

Have you looked on forum sites that discuss the game you are playing and ask this question you're asking here?

Good luck!