underperforming cf 6950

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by terferi, Feb 19, 2012.

1. terferi

terferi New Member

GPU:
    Hey guys. To me it seems like my current set up is not performing to it potential. Check out my 3dmark score.

I have i5 2500k ...two 6950 card. 16 ram. I think my power supply is 850 w. If you need more info I will get it. I got 8600 on 3dmark. I haven't been happy with cf and next timw iI think I will get a single gpu. I seem to notice microstuttering a lot. Single gpu games run smoother to me then with both on.. here's my link. http://3dmark.com/3dm11/2793238

Do you guys see any bbig mistakes that I'm making? Sorry for formating spelling errors I'm on my tablet. Thanks for any help

2. antihero998

antihero998 Member

GPU:
    EVGA SC 780
    That's about what I was getting at stock speeds but with the right cooling and some overclocking I was able to break 10k.

3. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    Have you overclocked your CPU? I really haven't had much of a problem with micro-stuttering with my rig that is very similar to yours.

4. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Score looks fine to me matey. Only with OCing are you gonna get 10K

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    With crossfire, aren't there different methods? AFR, Split, Chessbox etc? The fastest one may not be the best one, in terms of stutter.

6. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    Which driver/ CAP are you using?

7. terferi

terferi New Member

GPU:
    I am using the 12.1 drivers. I went into my BIOS and changed the x multiplier to 42. I got about 9100 now on 3dmark11. My temps are running for my CPU about 38 idle and 50 while playing COD. Thats all I changed in the bios. Is that bad?

My ram is g.skill f3 ripjaw, 16 gb. F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL. It says on newegg that the timing is 9-9-9-24-2n. In the BIOS I saw the timing and it was like 11-11-11 something.

My motherboard is Gigabyte ga-z68xp-ud3.
    I have the cM hyper 212 plus heatsink/fan.

I just thought I would share that info. Thanks for the reasurrance that everything is working how it should be.

8. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    go into your bios, near where you select the ram speed you should see something about XMP profiles. Make sure you select XMP1, that will set your ram to run at it's rated speeds. You can check what it's currently at with CPU-Z (also very useful to monitor CPU core voltage and turbo speed). Chances are right now it's underclocked.

As for your temps, that's slightly high for idle but I don't know what kind of cooler you have. It's also hard to judge load temp from a game (although by itself, 50 is fine, you certainly aren't hurting anything). That's why we normally use prime95 to do load stability testing.

At 4.1 Ghz I doubt you will have stability issues, but you may be able to tune your Vcore to get better temps - leaving the Vcore to auto will usually get you stable, but at a higher voltage than necessary.

Use prime 95 to load the chip and cpuZ to find out what tops out at (remember it scales with load).