Underclocking NVIDIA 8400M GS without usage of drivers

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Xx_DukDuk_xX, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Xx_DukDuk_xX

Xx_DukDuk_xX New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 8400M GS 256 MB
    Hey there,

Firstly, my english is very bad, excuse me for that, I'm from Austria. xP

Secondly, before one year I overclocked my NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS and now neither Windows, nor Linux want to boot with NVIDIA Drivers installed. I overclocked it too much :p.

But I've found out that the graphic card is recognized correctly with most of the tools like GPU-Z (I think), nvclock (on Linux), SiSoft Sandra, and so on. It is working. But the problem is, I have to underlock the card to use it again.

As far as I know it isn't possible to under/overclock the graphics card without having installed a driver for it. That is my problem. I cannot boot with drivers, Windows is showing me a Bluescreen with a problem with the nvlddmkm.sys driver and Linux cannot boot, so he boots in Low Graphics Mode (with software-rendering).

Is there any possibility to underclock my card? I'm really confused. :bugeye:

Cheers,
    Duk.

2. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 FE
    the only possible way its overclocked when you come into windows is if you modded the bios...

it does not keep the overclock, instead the application overclocks it every time you boot. thats how GPU overclocking works. ;)

3. Xx_DukDuk_xX

Xx_DukDuk_xX New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 8400M GS 256 MB
    lol, what the f* xD okay, i havent modded the vga bios so far, but i don't understand why i get a bluesreen because of the nvidia drivers. i overclocked my card and then windows/linux stopped working, so i always have to disable the drivers in safe mode and run both systems with software-rendering.

4. Xx_DukDuk_xX

Xx_DukDuk_xX New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 8400M GS 256 MB
    does that mean that i have to edit my vga bios?

are there any tutorials for that and is it possible to get a copy of the current vga bios without having installed an nvidia driver on the computer?