Unable to get 5.1 from Radeon 5850

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by sdamaged99, Jan 10, 2010.

1. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    I have a Radeon 5850 connected to a Sony AV amp via HDMI but i can't get anything more than 2 channel sound in any application. I have Catalyst 9.12 installed, along with PowerDVD 9 Ultra. I can't even choose the pass through option in PowerDVD either. Not sure what i am doing wrong but it's very frustrating!!!

2. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    OK? This is bad news for me because i want to hook up a HT system on my Radeon..
    Did you chose 5.1 speakers in Windows Audio settings?

3. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    I don't even get the option. It shows the sound card as an ATI HDMI Audio device, but the only speaker option is 2 speaker.

It also shows the device isn't HDCP compatible as well which was a big suprise.

4. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    get this driver

http://www.x-drivers.com/catalog/drivers/sound_cards/companies/realtek/models/alc260/14852.html

Realtek website was down when searching for it. Now it's up so if you want to get it from there go to

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/ -> High Definition Audio Codecs (Software) -> Tick I accept bla bla, then Next -> ATI HDMI Audio Device (it is in red) and chose a FTP server from the right side

It is basically a custom driver from Realtek which is especially made for the Radeon series 5000
    Btw when you get it to work maybe you can give me some info about the receiver?
    I made the mistake in thinking that the receiver can be any crappy HT in a box thing but apparently it needs to have Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master support

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010

5. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    I discovered a funny thing about PowerDVD.
    Assuming you have the Realtek driver, the settings for PCM audio by PowerDVD in the audio control panel (if you chose to use HDMI) will always output TrueHD and DTS-HD. I tested with Terminator Salvation, Transformers 2 and Star Trek. When i used PCM, the audio was always either TrueHD or DTS-HD, but when i used the other option, undecoded audio to outside source (assuming you hook up a reciever which supports TrueHD and DTS-HD), the audio output by a movie with TrueHD came out as DD 5.1 because then the external receiver would process it. But in the case of DTS-HD it would still go out as the same source...

This is just a finding i made. I am assuming that if you have a A/V Receiver which knows HD audio then you must use undecoded audio option.

6. FastZ28

FastZ28 Active Member

GPU:
    Tri-Fire (4870/4870/4850)
    Sash, are you using a trial or full ver of PDVD9 Ult?

AFAIK, the trial doesn't have the full audio options, I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the OP is using the trial at the moment... if so, he might not get your experiences...?

I know PowerDVD and ATI are actively trying to make everthing "just work" in Win7, so my advice in my reply might be dated, but it also might be what's happening to OP. To each their own, I haven't used PDVD9 in awhile, in favor of ArcSoft TMT3.

I posted my reply in his other thread (there was an audio pic there)
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=3416340#post3416340

7. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    Uh i don't think it's the trial version. Are there more options than what I sayd??

8. FastZ28

FastZ28 Active Member

GPU:
    On digitial, you won't get the option. On analog (the colored jacks) you will get it, as then, MS DRM allows >2ch for "anything" because it doesn't care, it only cares about people making "perfect" digital copies. Also SPDIF started out 2ch only; get used to seeing it in the properties (on digital in Win) it's just the way it works, simply "ignore it". 7.1 will work fine under all the popular DVD/BD players in digital, IF Win7 thinks your current digital playback device can do it, & sometimes this must be forced, especially when an HDMI AV sits between the GFX and TV.

HDCP was a surprise because you got a 5850 and a nice HDTV. But you put the Sony AV between the two, altering the "monitor.inf" (your TV "driver", probably it says Plug n Play or brief manufacterer of HDTV), well technically the 256 byte EDID data string in the registry. If you connect right to the TV, HDCP should show up; plenty of workarounds, & they're always improving drivers. A simple EDID override will tell ATI's onboard Realtek chip everything's a go for 7.1, and you'll get it playing appropriate media. Windows sounds like chimes and beeps will remain 2ch.

EDIT: btw, HDCP status will be restored (& needed, PDVD9, etc) when the proper EDID override is created via custom monitor.inf creation that results in EDID 256 byte update in registry.

But get used to Windows "behavior" with digital audio out (unless SP1 changes anything). If you doubt what I'm saying simply change to onboard sound, pick "analog" and watch you can pick 2,4,6,8 speaker support and test them under "configure properties" (if your mobo chip supports, most Realtek/Via do for years now).

https://blogs.blackmarble.co.uk/blogs/rhepworth/archive/2009/02/08/achieving-hdmi-audio-output-with-ati-hardware-on-windows-7-and-vista.aspx
    I'll try to find another link, same info, but that one is fairly well written.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  9. FastZ28

FastZ28 Active Member

GPU:
    No I doubt it, I'm just wondering if PDVD9 Ult Trial has any audio limitations; original poster could say better as I've not used PDVD9 lately (esp. the trial).

10. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video

11. FastZ28

FastZ28 Active Member

GPU:
    It would sure be nice not to have to work blind and press F5 to scan the HDMI AV info, but I ran version 2.42 (I'm sure there's newer) I don't see anywhere to pick a card?? I would assume in the "realtime" pane it would just display data from the monitor (HDMI or not) attached as windows monitor #1.

So I would just treat two cards as one. Pull the screen/TV, replace with HDMI AV, hit F5 couple times (with Asset util previously running obviously & as current active program so it refreshes), then replace with mon/screen to view the proper HDMI audio collected so as to then save the current pane CIA-EXT block, for the eventual proper monitor.inf creation to allow full spec audio.

Sure it's a PITA, but what are you gonna do. Until another way comes along... every bit of data from the HDTV and HDMI AV units will be eventually combined to form a perfect custom "monitor.inf" for your HTPC, thereby allowing your ATI (or whatever) to fully use its graphics and audio power on your gear.