Unable to get 1080p@50 hz via DVI

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by rb08, Jul 28, 2008.

1. rb08

rb08 New Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4870
    Hi Everyone,

I'm a completely new member and adventurer in the HTPC space.

I have just got my Home Theater Machine together (Running Pentium q660 Quad processor @ 2.4ghz and ATI HD4870) and connected it up to my 37" lcd (VIA DVI) but having trouble getting 1080p@50 hz.

I am running ATI Catalyst 8.7 (I believe thats the latest one). And unfortunately the only two options i have for 1080HD is:

1)1080i @ 30hz
    2)1080p @ 24hz

I have done some reasearch into my LCD TV, and have found that the TV should be able to handle 1080p @ 50hz (VIA DVI). However i see no options anywhere in my Catalyst Control Panel to make this change.

After some further research on this forum i downloaded Powerstrip, however after alot of mucking about, i was able to set 1080p @ 50hz however with huge overscan (I believe this is the right word?, Basically the image wasn't fitting in my screen it was to big).

My question is, does anyone out there know of a way to tweak ATI Catalyst to display 1080p @ 50hz? OR Does anyone know what i would need to do to get powerstrip sucessfully working on my machine?

Im sorry if this is not the correct place to pose this question, and my appologies if similar conversations have come up in the past. I did try to search for similar threads prior to posting.

Appreciate any Help/Advice that can be offered.

Thanks,
    Rob

2. Threewheels

Threewheels Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 275, 896mb
    I think 50hz may be your problem. Standard 1080p formats operate at 24 or 60hz. You might want to try 60hz instead of 50.

http://hometheater.about.com/od/televisionbasics/qt/1080ppitfall.htm

3. rb08

rb08 New Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4870
    Hi Threewheels,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortuantely attempting to run 1080p at 60 hz leads to a out of range message on the set.

However I have found various sources on the net saying that ths set is able to run 1080p at 50hz.

However I have yet to enable this successfully.

Any further help would be appreciated.

Am i wasting my time playing with powerstrip? Should I just wait and see if a newer version of catalyst may do the trick going forward?

Any Advice would be appreciated.

4. Threewheels

Threewheels Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 275, 896mb
    I haven't had an ATI card in a while, but there might be an option to setup a custom resolution for it. I know current nvidia drivers allow you to do this, and I had to setup a resolution of 1366x768 so I could hook up my pc up to my 42" TV.

Exactly what TV do you have? knowing a bit more about your tv and its specs will help people figure out what you need to do.

5. Smurfer

Smurfer Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950
    Try this click on your desktop propertys and go to setting/advanced/adapter/list all modes and see if it has a listing for 50Hz.

6. rb08

rb08 New Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4870
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your replys, I appreciate your help.

Threewheels: The Tv that my computer is connected to is a "Acer AT3705-DTV" 32" HD Tv.

Smurfer: I have checked the "List all Modes" and there is not listing for 1080p at 50hz.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,
    Rob
    I

7. Smurfer

Smurfer Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950
    You may have to revert back to power strip but on your TV remote there should be a 1:1 setting. Check for dot by dot, native etc... on the remotes display button that should take care of the over scan.

8. rb08

rb08 New Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4870
    Hi Smurfer,

Thank you for your help.

I cant belive that the answer was so simple!! LOL

But got powerstrip running 1080p@50hz and pressing the "wide" button reimages the image so it fits perfectly!!.

Thanks again!
    Rob