Unable to flash BIOS - Sapphire HD6950 2GB

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by SmoTaN, May 3, 2011.

1. SmoTaN

SmoTaN Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD7850 2GB DCII
    Hi,

I posted this in the HD6950 ulock thread but maybe a separate topic for this is a better way :).

I used both Atiwinflash and atiflash_386 (DOS) to flash my card and both gave me the following error - "Cannot erase ROM" in Atiwinflash and error code 0FL01 in atiflash_386 !

I used the latest version of Atiwinflash, is there any other alternative app for this?

I have the Sapphire HD6950 2GB with the custom cooler:
    http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?psn=000101&pid=1082

Has anyone else experienced this? I don't know what else to try :(.

No big loss though but it would be nice to try and unlock those extra shaders :cool:

Thanks ;).

2. fourty03

fourty03 New Member

GPU:
    (2x) Sapphire 2gb 6950
    What is the part number and sku number for the 6950?

From what I understand, sapphire has two different part number / sku number boards out - I suppose this represents a new revision or design on the different boards.

Also, does the 6950 you are trying to flash have a Bios switch next to the crossfire port?

3. fourty03

fourty03 New Member

GPU:
    (2x) Sapphire 2gb 6950
    Wanted to add:

If its the 100312-2SR The one here, I do not think it will unlock. If someone has any different info, please correct me.

4. SmoTaN

SmoTaN Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD7850 2GB DCII
    Yes it looks the same as in the newegg picture but it has a different part number (there was no SKU info on newegg):

PN 288-4E186-000SA
    SKU# 11188-00-40R

Also the card has no dual bios or bios switch near the cf connector, but my problem is not whether the card will unlock the extra shaders or not but why it won't allow me to flash the BIOS at all!!!

I also tried the command "atiflash -unlockrom 0" and got a positive message that the ROM was unlocked but after that when I tried to flash it I got the same error code "0FL01" :(.

5. midweskid

midweskid Guest

You should have read the forums on unlocking the 6950. You would have found out that only 6950's with the stock reference cooler and the bios switch allow you to do that. You shouldn't be attempting to change the bios on any 6950 with a custom cooler on it as it doesn't give you the option cause it's a custom pcb also. I don't know why it won't flash back, last time I did that with a card that the bios should not tampered I killed the card. rip :( 4770.

6. SmoTaN

SmoTaN Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD7850 2GB DCII
    @midweski, I'm actually following those forums very closely and there is a script from W1zzard that edits the existing BIOS of even custom versions ... anyway I'm aware of the risk and possible damage and was willing to try it out ...

I doesn't matter that it is a reference or custom board the BIOS should be able to be flashed on all of them, I've done this on a dozen of previous cards but this is the first to have this issue with a somehow locked ROM!

7. Krteq

Krteq Master Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 56 +64 BIOS
    Cards with that SKU# can't be unlocked to HD 6970 due to non-reference PCB :(

For unlocking ROM try this - "atiwinflash -unlockrom 0" (or "atiflash -unlockrom 0" under DOS).

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  8. blinzi

blinzi Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6950 2GB
    ive got the same card - its hardware locked on the flash memory.

no chance to flash anything unless you manage to bridge those pins on the PM25LV010 memory.

problem with that card is that the chip is on the same side as the gpu, what makes it quite impossible to mount the stock cooler back while the pins are soldered.

theres a guy on the forum who succesfully used this method on a gigabyte card.

http://imageshack.us/f/222/00dsc00432.jpg/

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  9. SmoTaN

SmoTaN Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD7850 2GB DCII
    Thanks for the info, this is really dissapointing I can't believe they hardware locked the ROM!!! We are talking about a high end product here and not a 50$ graphics card ... They could be trying to protect themselves from too many destroyed products from bad flashing but this really is not a good excuse for an enthusiast class GPU, please correct me if I'm wrong.

10. LordJummy

LordJummy Master Guru

GPU:
    Crossfire "6970" 980/1400
    The card was never intended to be unlocked. They don't need an excuse. You got exactly what you paid for. When you bought the card did the box say "unlockable!!!".

You took a risk, and it didn't work. It's not the card makers fault. People who were able to unlock their cards were just lucky. The card is sold as is. There's a reason why there's a 6950 and a 6970, and there's a reason why the 6970 is more expensive.

11. SmoTaN

SmoTaN Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD7850 2GB DCII
    I know what I bought and I know why HD6970 is more expensive, if you think you're teaching some rookie a lesson then you're mistaken my friend.

First I did not mention unlocking the card and second BIOS flashing is not for unlocking only! I may want to flash my card with a modified BIOS with different clock speeds or fan profiles and please don't tell me HD6950 is a cheap or not a high-end GPU just because it is cheaper than HD6970!

Honestly I have nothing against this product, I like the quality and performance I got for the money I just don't like this approach that's all.