Ukraine Security Service Shuts Down Illegal Crypto Farm With 3800 PS4 Consoles Sucking 200k electricity monthly

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Regular currencies are backed by countries, or a group of countries in Euro's case. It's a huge deal for a country if their currency crashes, especially huge if they have got loans in foreign currencies, so there's quite a lot of pressure to make sure a crash doesn't happen. It still does happen, sometimes, when a dictator with "brilliant" ideas starts to drive his own financial plan in the country, like happened in Zimbabwe, for example. Crypto currencies are backed by absolutely no clear agency whatsoever. In fact it's easy to see the fluctuations in the crypto prices, and the larger cycles, are exactly what many major crypto players love. They are poison for anyone wanting to use it for regular transactions only, though. However, without the possibility to use it for regular transactions, it's not a currency at all.

Redemption80 and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Wait you can mine on a PS4? I have 2 of those!

Embra likes this.
  3. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Start digging! :)

4. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Wouldn't have had to trace any odd internet or power usage spikes to track that one down, with that many PS4s running at full pelt the place must have sounded like a jet aircraft at take off 24/7.

AuerX likes this.

5. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Life is cheaper than you think. 10 grand is way over the price reported nowadays. A guy in Scotland was doing hits for as little as 2-3 grand.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  6. Babel-17

Babel-17 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    I think part of the reason that mining hasn't been "cancelled", yet, is that some of those who are big into cancelling are also into owning crypto. Just an observation of how some people suddenly display an unexpected libertarian streak when the subject comes up, lol. But it's possibly just one Greta Thunberg denunciation away from looking very vulnerable to various forms of sanctions. Which has me wondering about what people have her ear, albeit Ms. Thunberg seems capable on her own to have an opinion already.

7. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Purchasing crypto with fiat will be outlawed way before mining ever is IMO.
    I can't see crypto going away, way too popular.

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti