UGH!!! RADEON x1950 pro! low fps!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by atari7, Jun 5, 2008.

1. atari7

atari7 New Member

Hello! im comeing to u ppl with much need! when i first got this graphics card it wasent the best but it was atleast playable! with at least holding with 30 but would still drop in the teens! now it is just 20 and below most of the time! and i cant even play counter strike source! i have 2 gbs of ram! and i would of hoped that this new graphics card would of saved me from this terrible low fps! its gotten so bad to the point where i dont even wanna play counter strike soo plzz! :wanker: of some one know how or why this is going on help! greatly appreciate it!

2. Nymphetamine876

Nymphetamine876 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD3870's
    it would be nice if you filled out the rest of your system information, it would help more in figuring out the problem.

3. atari7

atari7 New Member

intel(R) Pentium(R) 4cpu 2.80 ghz 2.79ghz,2.00 gbs of ram
    and i have windows up the 2nd service pac and yes i did install the latest drivers off the site and the catalysts center. and i just redid my computer so there is nothing running in the back ground just and fyi lol but yes! thanks for the reply

4. pysik

pysik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 460 OC 1Gb
    what kind of powersupply are you using, the x1950 psu requirements say it needs atleast 30 amps

5. atari7

atari7 New Member

yah i got a thermaltake tr2-430np says 47-63 hz

6. dirty gfx cooler?

7. †Fire

†Fire Master Guru

GPU:
    Diamond HD3870 1G Stock atm
    I dunno, I run CS-Source, fine, really really fine...

And I have a x1950 pro

*Edit* CS is really CPU dependable, so I wouldn't blame the GPU.

8. atari7

atari7 New Member

well wat do u think i should do? this do u think it would help if i threw in another gig of ram?

9. MileHighMilitia

MileHighMilitia Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD4850 + TT DuOrb 700/1135
    no, you dont need it for counter strike... I would do a clean install of your OS and reinstall drivers. Although it sounds like a lot of work, i doubt that your original performance was even correct. I run upper 80's no problems with 4x aa and 16x af with my x850, and your card is at least as good if not better. Your cpu should be fine too, i had a p4 3.2 ghz and had no problems even on TF2 medium.

10. Nymphetamine876

Nymphetamine876 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD3870's
    try to install 7.8 drivers, those worked great for my old 1950pro.

11. atari7

atari7 New Member

alright so i installed the 7.8 drivers *sigh* useless if any thing just made my computer more slow -.- so how do i do a clean sweep of my OS? and i hope u guys are right on this one cause im about to sell this ****in thing cause its been driveing me up a wall! its like i just paid for a worse then 256 lol :bang:

12. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    I use the Omega 7.10 Drivers and run CS Source at 1400x1050 with vertical sync on at about 30-84fps, on a 22 player server or so (84Hz refresh rate :p)

The CPU is the problem, going from a single core AMD CPU (AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Newcastle 2.0GHz) to this new Core 2 Duo E2200 was a big difference in CSS :)

13. MileHighMilitia

GPU:
    Well, if you have your os disc still then all you have to do is boot to that disc using your bios settings and then in the settings during install select "Clean Install" It will get rid of all files on the disc so be careful you have everything saved you need.

On second thought though i would try to exhaust every option before doing a clean install of xp, it can be a royal pain to do an OS reinstall. Unfortunatly i cant think of anything else that you could do except use driversweeper (cleaner?) and wipe off all your drivers for your card. THen install the driver of your choice and see if it works.

Edit: Also you could try to find out if its a cpu bottleneck. Put your settings in Css to the very lowest possible, 0aa 0af low texture etc. DO the automated stress test and record your results. Then make everything the highest possible, 16aa, 16af, high textures etc and do the stress test again. If the results remain consistent throughout the tests then the cpu is bottlenecking. Otherwise you will see high fps at low settings and lower fps at high.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  14. †Fire

†Fire Master Guru

GPU:
    Wow wow, hold your horses,

I would personally sell the damn thing and get a new one instead of clean sweeping the OS, that can be a pain in the arse, especially for those who already did it.

Consider that choice, but don't make it your final conclusion right away,

†Fire

15. MileHighMilitia

GPU:
    well, thats why i said do some tests first. I just did some and i get 100 fps on the stress test in css. His graphics card should do better then mine, i donno. I would driver sweep first and go from there. Of course my cpu is better also...

16. Ali_NZ

Ali_NZ Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix GTX970
    Definitely sounds like a cpu bottleneck. My x2 3800+ limits the 7900gs in source games, too. If your motherboard supports core2duo's, you should upgrade.

17. †Fire

†Fire Master Guru

GPU:
    I doubt the bottleneck is the issue, ok maybe he loses a few FPS, but I think it's really just the CPU, period. CSS is CPU bound, get a good processor, and it will run like a charm.

†Fire

18. MileHighMilitia

GPU:
    I agree with the cpu comments but 20 to 30 fps in counter strike? seriously? No way i think theres got to be another issue. He should not be bottlenecked that bad. I used to play CSS on my P4 no problems, and so did my dads other computer with a little slower p4.

19. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    NGO 7.3 the better set in reality (even this older set worked better with crysis than the latter).

If you can overclock that cpu I would try for atleast 3Ghz, but the problem is that source based games right now are heavily cpu bound, no multiple threads at all.

20. ohno

ohno Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI/AMD X1650pro AGP Gdd3
    wow, i have a 8600GS in a ASUS laptop and i get 60-70fps on 2xanti alisiing.

I have a AMD athlon xp3100+ with x1650pro and it struggles to play at30-40fps. no kiddin... i think it is the pentium cpu overheating or something. you shouldn't get into teens... thats horrible. If i were u i would also check the bios and see if there is anything unusual or reset it.