UE4 RTX/DLSS Demo

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by MrBonk, Apr 21, 2021.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Can't say I was surprised but image quality is so terrible looking in this demo. DLSS clearly is not equipped to deal with trying to clean up Ray Tracing and RT Denoising on top of normal aliasing. (Something I actually haven't had a chance to check out yet since I don't have any current games that offer both RT and DLSS. DLSS on it's own usually fares decently, but here it looks even worse than UE4's TAA, which says a lot. In the recent System Shock UE4 demo DLSS looked better than TAA overall with some minor issues considering that was almost a worst case scenario with their heavy use of Point Sampling with low resolution textures, leading ton tons of texture aliasing)

The wow factor of the lighting is completely let down by the fact you are wasting all that performance for nicer lighting while image quality nose dives into garbage territory at anything less than 4k resolution. At 4k the issues are still just as visible but less egregious. At 1080p it's a smeared mess of aliasing and artifacts with any kind of movement.

https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/RTXShowcaseWin64Ship.png
    https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/894RTXShowcaseWin64Ship.png
    https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/257RTXShowcaseWin64Ship.png
    https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/51dRTXShowcaseWin64Ship.png

Future of game graphics? Ugh, no thanks if this is indicative. I'd rather have nice faked rasterized lighting with decent image quality at a higher framerate.

Kozary likes this.
  2. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    I am not into Real Time Ray-Tracing yet, not this generation, maybe couple more, but now, no.

And I totally agree what you said on the last line.

And thanks alot for sharing.

I don't use DLSS, All Native or Upscale, Might in the future, as of now, not really interested, at the moment that is.

3. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    yeah for now raytracing is too young that's why amd doesn't even bother and they just gave just a workaround on their recent gpu and consoles, i remember playing metro exodus and asking everywhere how to disable film grain, turns out that wasn't film grain but just noise when rtx is enabled on par with dlss, same with observer system redux.

4. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    That's exactly what I was entailing to, Its still in the process of going into maturity stage.

I am not a big fan of Film Grain, depending on rare circumstances, yes, but generally no, same goes for DOF(Depth of Field/Also depending on situation).

In time I will be interested, as of now, nope, same goes for DLSS(In time, yes).

5. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim
    Yah the grainy-ness that shows up when the image is denoised is distracting. Sadly it's going to take years to get to the point where basically every pixel can be sampled with ray-traced lighting. And honestly I don't think we'll ever get to that point especially with display resolutions pushing higher every few years. I mean we've already kind of pushed past what GPUs can reasonability render with 4K at fast frame rates. Especially if you tack on RT with a 4K resolution.

Basically regarding RT we'll have to rely on AI upscaling getting better and the AI denoising improving to get better image quality.

6. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    I mean, we're not at the point at which every consumers is able to make Pixar movies quality ray tracing at runtime, but the result we're already achieving are clearly pushing realtime rendering into a new era.

A M D BugBear and Archvile82 like this.
  7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If any lesson should be taken by the previous generation of consoles, is that the "every pixel" mentality is wrong. A movie at 1080p still looks more real and better than a 16k game. Resolution is a bit of a red herring in that aspect, and it really depends on the engine and how it scales internally.

As for RTX, I like it a lot. Most people who see no difference usually are not very sensitive graphics in general. The problem that RT has is that apart from reflections, it's hard to pinpoint what it does, and a lot of the times it might look worse in a screenshot than what it looks in game. I loved the implementation in Control, for the sheer atmosphere it created, which is the same thing I get from RE8 and (to a larger extent) Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition. After a while, if you turn it off (in the games that you can), they start looking "flat" and "wrong".

Even "just" the RT shadows in SOTTR made a huge difference on the mood and look of the game.

Archvile82 and Redemption80 like this.