Ubuntu 10.04 Review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, May 4, 2010.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

As you may know there are alternatives to windows and one of the most important these days is the recently released Ubuntu 10.04 or better called Lucid Lynx well if cool 3D desktops is what you like...

More...

2. lysaer

lysaer Master Guru

GPU:
    4 x 780ti
    what's the audio track being used ? i see it is from amusic but artist and title name please :D

3. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Looks good, I'll give it a go. My question is why hasn't someone came up with a OS that doesn't look like the rest? All the major OS's use a "window" type theme, I want something a bit more creative.

4. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080 Ti
    I definitely need to try this on my computers. Wonder if it will work with my laptop

5. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    The track is from aMUSiC and is part of Andromeda Software Development, you can find this guy here, has a gaming radio on the internet.

http://www.siradio.fm

also you can download all the ASD demos on www.scene.org, their themes are just there, sitting on the main directory.

Cool music hug ? aMUSiC was happy to help me so, more music from him you will hear, in my next videos :)

6. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    Works wonders, have the previous version working on my mother's laptop, even with 3D active ( a generic GMA intel card).

Understand that this is pretty basic 3D desktop, without touching or tweaking compiz-settings-manager, I will make a new video with the advanced effect you could get, with transparencies and cube deformations, soon on my youtube channel.

Also, I will make the Kubuntu review with videos, Kubuntu uses KDE and also has a composite desktop with 3D, quite awesome to say the least, stay tuned.

7. lysaer

lysaer Master Guru

GPU:
    4 x 780ti
    3d files are what we need, like the ones they demo'd with looking glass

8. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    How cool is the 3D desktop compared to Aero? :p

Why fix what isn't broken? :D

[​IMG]

9. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    First off, awesome video. Quick question: Does that wallpaper come with 10.04? If not, could you post a link to it? I really like it.

I would just like to note that there are a lot of REALLY useful features in compiz that were not demo'ed (and understandably so, compiz has like 20-30 features). Here is an example of 2 features that I use a lot when writing code:

1.) Compiz allows you to snap windows to a grid. So for example, in Windows 7, you can drag a window to the side of the screen and it will snap the window to take up that half of the screen. You can do the same thing in Compiz. I have it so super+left snaps the window to the left part of the screen, and super+right snaps it to the right part of the screen.

2.) There is a tool in compiz that lets you scale all the windows so that they all fit on the screen, and then you can choose which window you want to enter by clicking on it. It is kind of like alt+tab, but it scales each window to fit on the screen. I like this a lot better than alt+tab because you can see the contents of each window. It makes switching windows a lot easier when you have 5-10 windows open.

I am still running 9.04 (never upgraded to 9.10), and I can't wait to finish my final exams so I have some time to reformat my system.

10. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 as we speak. Since I'm relatively new to Linux I had some initial difficulty using GParted(never used it) & installing it. But it's up and running & I must say I like it! I chose to use ext4 filesystem on a 10GB partition. I'd appreciate any advice you gurus can offer to a mostly Ubuntu noob. For example do I need a swap file with 8GB of RAM?

11. Moustacha

Moustacha Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770
    I've never used the swap partition/file even when using 1GB RAM

12. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    As the video stated, I wanted to show you what ubuntu can do WITHOUT installing anything extra, not even compizconfig-settings-manager, later, I will do another video with all the extra features enabled (all that you mentioned and more).

Quick reply, that wallpaper is already on the ubuntu cd, I've use only what ubuntu give me just after install, I didn't install anything, that was the purpose of the video, to show the " out of box" experience.

13. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    No need, that is plenty of RAM for ubuntu, even if you use VirtualBox. Linux handles memory differently than windows and is much more conservative when filling memory up, you will see when you open toons of programs, just experiment.

14. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nice! Thanks for the replys.

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  15. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    The audio track is called : I am You (for the one that asked)

16. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4GD5T@1435/1750
    I've been using it at work on my email machine, so far its the best Ubuntu I've used.

17. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    A very nice look at the OS.

Ever since I went back to school I've been meaning to check out Ubuntu as it seems the most newbie-friendly distribution around. Sadly I never felt comfortable getting a new disk or repartitioning to enable a dual boot.

That's to say until I realized that I could install it on a file under Windows just to try it out.

Experience is good so far and most of the software I use under Windows 7 is readily available - TexLive, TexMaker, Dia, Wireshark, Eclipse, JDK, Chrome and OpenOffice being the usual suspects.

Setting up the JDK and Eclipse were a right pain in comparison to the Windows install however and it kind of bugs me that I can't get rid of FireFox in any easy way.

In the end it seems a good setup for a basic browsing machine and work-horse, though if you are into gaming or playing a lot of media I'd probably still stick with Windows.

I'll definitely consider it a viable option for mom and pop computing, which may seem contrary to what many would expect from a Linux distro when compared to Windows but that's my opinion from playing around for a few days.

Oh yes, and sticking to 32bit to allow for the easiest possible usage of propriety software such as flash browsing. Naturally I tried the 64bit version but then I can live without an easy install of flash myself.

18. dave11

dave11 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX1070 (Notebook)
    Well that's great and all but it wont install the drivers for either my wireless adapter or my wired one so it is pretty useless.

Id like to give it a proper go if anyone can give us some advice on how to get the drivers in without the net?

Dave

19. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    You have to download the "restricted" drivers, should be available under "hardware drivers" in ubuntu.

Well, a promise is a debt, this is my second video, with advanced 3d effects in Ubuntu, this one is using compizconfig-settings manager and downloading all the extra-plugins, this is by tweakiing a little, hope you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TecnoGaming#p/c/23752942378396C8/1/5baDknt6Z7w

Also available in HD

20. dave11

dave11 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX1070 (Notebook)
    Solved it. Had to download the driver in windows then copy it over make it then do some magic. so now I can actually install the restricted drivers.

All this faffing around to get something to work is the main reason normal people don't use Linux.

Dave