Ubisoft's The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom Beta Test

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ShadowMyth, Jan 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Buss_Shots

Buss_Shots Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570 1280 MB
    @Jonas or anyone else who owns this, was it worth the buy? Are all the maps similar with only small changes or our there maps with snow, more water etc. Is there a day night cycle? Finally, what I got out of the demo is that about it or more? Thanks

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    CCC > Options > Preferences > Restore Factory Defaults?

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    There is a day and night cycle, most maps are fairly varied but I'm not very far in the campaign so most appear to follow a similar theme with a few locations spread out worth "victory points" that can be conquered, the means to do this is quite varied as well however such as using troops or bribing them or completing a quest for them.
    (A monastery might want you to send scholars but this will hinder your research level and might allow another to claim the research related victory point whereas a fortress might be bribed to follow you or just conquered via military might.)

Protection is the only real problem but the servers have been fairly stable lately, seems the so called account servers are a bit unstable though for achievements, multiplayer and other account related settings.
    (It's updated rather often as well fixing a variety of issues and problems.)

4. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Patch 4 is out.
    http://worthplaying.com/article/2010/5/4/patch/74081/

5. psdatta2005

psdatta2005 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 1GB
    Is this game similar to age of empires

6. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Not particularly I would say, in AoE you have a few resources gathered by various stations and you just build all needed buildings and eventually produce a army to win over the enemy forces and research various improvements.

Here each building needs to be planned out as to what additions you want to add to it (Bakery, woodcutter, tailor, smithy and more.) and what it needs to be built, more advanced buildings also need more advanced items to function, you also use much smaller forces and victory can be had by many different means.

In a way it's similar to the recent Anno game.

7. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    A new patch is out.

8. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Seventh patch out.
    (Rare to see Ubisoft support games like this but RTS games usually get patched frequently, Silent Hunter V could do with some fixing as well though it probably "sunk", hehe.)

9. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    No, its not, you have to play it online all the time. ;)

10. Kalish colt

Kalish colt Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 5870
    I have cracked version lol, so that $5 million DRM can suck my apples lol.

11. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Patch 1.08 is out and does some balancing updates along with some fixes and improvements.

12. Buss_Shots

Buss_Shots Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570 1280 MB
    @Jonas If you have the map pack, do you know if you can play a skirmish game against AI with them?

13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    You can, they work just like the regular maps but require a authorization code to function/unlock.
    (Nothing is added or downloaded as they're already part of the 1.07 update along with the other converted campaign maps, 1.08 further adds two such maps by the way.)

They're somewhat unique in layout and in terms of how you can collect victory points (Plus what support structures are available.) which gives a nice variety compared to just slowly expanding city production and either expand via military or religion/trade to new sectors.
    (Bribe or convert outposts to take sectors or just knock out the defenders to put it simply but it's a bit more challenging now.)

As of this patch it seems to have been balanced to be a bit more difficult overall and also balances the actual maps a bit better. :)

Game is quite polished now, actually a bit rare to see support from Ubisoft like this though the actual developers are still Bluebyte I think so that might be part of the explanation.
    (Over a longer period of time and with such a large amount of fixes and improvements I mean, of course it depends on the game and it's popularity a bit as well and RTS or strategy games in general can need a bit of fine tuning and fixing/balancing.)

14. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Need to get this game maybe when I complete SC2. Do many people play this online?

15. Buss_Shots

Buss_Shots Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570 1280 MB
    I was thinking the same thing! I'm real happy there still tweaking it. I was actually meaning the purchasable map pack http://store.steampowered.com/app/48136/ The same way I'm guessing with just adding the key and they should be in the skirmish map list?

16. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Sorry for being somewhat unclear, I meant that map-pack as well, adds (Or rather unlocks.) three new and slightly different maps for use in the game. :)
    (What I meant was that in addition they've rebalanced the campaign maps at about two - three per patch and released as skirmish maps or how to describe them, custom or sandbox maps might fit better.)

EDIT: I apologize for being somewhat unclear about the situation? I'm sorry for being unclear? I apologize that I was a bit unclear in what I meant?

English isn't difficult to learn but the grammar isn't easy (Using it properly and such.), atleast I understand the words nearly perfectly but "wording" it properly is a different subject altogether and so I often add that I'm not that good at giving a proper explanation about the subject though it seems I have improved somewhat compared to my initial posts and how it was a few years ago on other sites and forums though I still improve and learn.
    (Atleast I learn something and it helps with keeping up to date as a sort of training.)

(Difference isn't that large but still worth improving.)

EDIT: Anyways I'm still doing the campaign (Been busy with other games and I advance rather slowly plus playing sandbox on other maps in between, haha.) and have slowly been unlocking all the extra castle addons and other bonuses, similar system to the one in Anno 1404 actually but not as expansive though some achievements will still take time and effort to win.
    (1 vs 3 AI for example was quite a challenge, using 10.000 "monk" class citizens for research all in all or such will also take time although it's a three part reward at 500 1000 and finally 10.000 and there's a few like it.)

(Starcraft 2 has one though that goes above all else and which requires you to win 10.000 matches against other opponents and as each race, gives a unique profile avatar icon and insignia/decal and of course each race has it's own 10.000 matches reward as well, only done the SP achievements though but soon have all of them including all challenges on gold, funny how such extras tend to make people strive hard to complete them, brings out a competive spirit or something perhaps, "e-peen" contest to use a more modern wording seeing stuff like X360 achievement leaderboards and more recently Steam achievements and rankings for those, haha. EDIT: SC2 actually has several such "10.000" wins achievements though most cap at 1000 depending on gamemode and similar, still even so someone out there is striving to do them all, wonder who'll be first.)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  17. Buss_Shots

Buss_Shots Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570 1280 MB
    Sounds good. I think I can spare $3.99! No need for apologies man, you always have clear and highly detailed reply's it blows my mind! Kudos on learning other languages too. I only know English!