Ubisoft Taunts Software pirates with missing FOV control in Far Cry 4

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    The car analogy probably isn't a good one. How about going into best buy,taking a copy of Farcry 4 and walking out the door? That's kind of what DRM is supposed to be. Guess what..If there weren't pirates,there wouldn't be DRM..

2. orky87

orky87 Guest

GPU:
    R9_Nano
    Pirates profit from real stolen goods while the victim is at a loss. I don't see how a gamer who's had or has a virtual 3D "experience" fit's that same role exactly. Don't get me wrong if an individual becomes a distributor for a rip-off-profit then that's a different story. But jailing youths over a gaming "experience" really? Do you honestly not see a problem with that? If that's the kind of morals these studio crooks stand by then........ what more can anyone really say?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Which is my whole point, I rather have delays upons delays and know the Game has been Q/A properly then have games pushed out there door cause the publishers/Stock holder care more about the money then putting out something that is actual finished. I Miss the old days when game where actual good.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  4. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    It's not even a crime now in the UK, they are changing the laws to decriminalise software theft as it's a Very grey area.

It's like stealing something that is invisible. Of course there's DRM because if not then every piece of software would be basically free ware. So which came first chicken or the egg.

Reverse engineers like to show off their handy work and the more DRM you throw at it the more of a game it becomes to these people. Crackers on the most part don't give a **** about the games they engineer, it's just a downside they like the cracking game more than the actual game.

(BTW the human brain is hard wired this way, that's how we evolved from apes. We are addicted to shapes, numbers, codes, puzzles and making sense of things. Solving puzzles and breaking codes is our speciality)

Free2play is the way forward but most publishers are scared of it because if their game is weak they won't get micro transactions and the game will flop.

There's a really strong Free2play field already starting to creep in and i hope it carries on this way as it's only a win win for us consumers in the long run.

5. desertfox5555

desertfox5555 Guest

GPU:
    evga gtx 980 sc 4gb
    great game. But i'm getting a little tired every time i wanna climb a rope i have to change my attack key because it aint working on the mouse. Other than that, just buy the game instead of stealing it. thank you:finger:

6. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    So enjoy your demos and selling games off.

7. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yeah lets not forget that piracy is just as rife on consoles as it is on pc and game developers dont see a cent from secondhand games bought from yiur local game store and obviously thirdparty sellers from the likes of ebay.

When you buy a secondhand game you're pretty much just giving money away for no reason as its no different to pirating. If they had a pay per download in pirate bay, would it be any dfferent than paying for a game from ebay or your local seconhad games dealer? When you buy a secondhand game, you're just trying to convince yourself that because money was exchanged your hands are clean and you're guilt free.

Also, publishers and gamers are equally scumbags these days, but at the end of tue day this is a business. Any other business in the entertainment industry would of gone out of business by now with the **** publishers pull. Imagine buying a movie, getting %90 of the way in and then a prompt pops up saying you need to pay an addtional few dollars to see the last %10 percent. What do you think that would to do movie piracy?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  8. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    I'm clearly out of the loop. Piracy percentages are as high on PS4 and XB1 as they are on PC? I actually thought they still hadn't been cracked.

Actually I doubt that even on the last generation of consoles this is true. I'd need to see some figures before I believed that.

Well the manufacturer doesn't see a penny when I buy second-hand furniture either, but it doesn't justify stealing from that manufacturer.

That's not at all what people are doing. And actually the second hand games market increases the value of new games. Think it through - you are willing to pay more for something if you know that you can get some of the money back when you're done with it / if you get bored with it. Secondary markets are a fairly basic concept in Economics.

This is one reason why the original XB1 model would have been really good for the games industry (in which I include customers). You'd be able to resell online, to anyone anywhere without exchange of physical media, and game developers could get a cut of that rather than Gamestop and others. This would immediately excise a massive and redundant parasitic industry (paying for shops, staff, marketing, profits) by keeping money a closed loop between publishers and customers. But that made people spit cats for some unfathomable reason.

I'm not aware of any mainstream games that make suddenly reveal near the end that you have to pay to complete them. I'm aware of quite a few that let you pay for extra side-quests or toys in game, but nothing that makes your analogy anything but false. This is really just rationalization of piracy. Like or don't like that some games have shifted toward selling games as playable components rather than a monolithic whole, but it's a legitimate sales model. Just like I might pay extra for a Blu-ray that has the directors commentary on it and other things I want. There's a better movie analogy if you really must argue by analogy.

Anyway, if you don't like it, don't buy it. But don't not buy it, pirate it, and then claim the publisher made you do it.

How convenient that the people whose product you want to steal are scumbags that deserve it.

9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    1. You are indeed out of the loop.
    Your comparing two systems that have been out for a year compared to xbox 360, ps3, wii, wii u, gamecube, ps2, xbox, n64, psone, sega consoles and even more nintendo consoles, all of which have seen piracy as much as the pc.

2. Pirate Bay, homebrew sites and google.

3. No ones justifying anything. THe point here is where money is and iisnt going.

4. You asked for proof further up, like wise id like to see proof. Last i heard, most publishers want the secondhand market dead. If you dont buy firsthand, you're are stealing. People think that because they've payed a friend or a stranger a few dollars for a copy of a secondhand game, that they think that they're still doing their part to help developers. Guess what you're not. You may as well be buying your games bootlegged out of a carpark or paying a monthly fee to pirate bay.

5. Why even bother typing this. This is exactly the point im making about secondhand games. Developers are not currently getting a cut. This is just payed for piracy. Somehow its legal just because you're selling it a shop. Clearly you;re not reading what I've typed and instead decided to misinterpret and seem to think i agree with piracy.

6. My reference is dlc. Day one dlc to be more specific, pay walls, the season passes and current pre-order vs quality state that games are now released in. Again you think im trying to rationalize piracy. Im not trying to rationalize anything, the point is that the gaming industry is absolutely the most corrupt industry in the world when it some to end products for consumers. You are paying more for less compared to any other form of entertainment. This is why people pirate.

7. Again, you're putting words in my mouth. Im not claiming that publisher have forced me to buy anything. Going by what you've typed, i think you may have quoted the wrong person or pull you head out and actually try to read instead of intentionally misinterpreting things.

The only point im trying to make and read it properly this time instead of putting words in my mouth:

The current state of the industry is not the fault of one party or the other. Secondhand game buyers are as bad as those that pirate. Because money is exchanged between two people, they feel their conscience is clean and therefore they've done their part for the developers. Thats not the case though. Why do think that outside of pawnshops and secondhand outlets like ebay/trademe, that there is no secondhand market for music or movies?

As for developers.. Games still cost the same, but quality has dropped, far too much focus on dlc and gfx and that has lead to consumer confidence dropping. Whos fault is it that a game is broken on release? Not the consumer.

After shoddy release after shoddy release, the consumer will 9/10 think this:
    1. I miss the days when games worked as soon as you bought them. but i suppose this come with the territory these days. Hopefully next time they'll get it right.
    2. Step one is repeated a few times.
    3. Thats it! no more pre-ordering.
    4. Im not paying for another one of these broken games again, but because im a nonse who cant go without even the broken games. Im a pirate. Screw these crappy developers/publishers.

Who's a fault here for that thought process. The consumer whos sick and tired of trying to support the gaming industry buy paying for the games, only to get shafted time and time again. Or does it just start at piracy.

Cause and affect.

10. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT

Actually just a bunch of excuses.

11. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yeah, from both parties.

12. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    So far from what i can gather, a bad developer/publisher fails to put FOV in it's release version, game gets an "early" release via "p2p". Bad publisher goes on to try and create positive PR for them and we go and give them front page headlines?

wtf. Seriously why didnt you put Sports Interactive when their FM series has been doing "creative" handling of pirated copies via fake names/ or fake NT in their other wise fully playable games? I guess not enough 'muricans playing to warrant it being treated as news? :3eyes:

edit: On 2nd thought I guess it's mostly because it's about Far Cry. A pop, lowest common denominator game.

13. rflair

GPU:
    5700XT
    There was no fail on release, the game unlocked with a zero day patch and everyone who bought the game did not have this problem.

14. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    No, I was explicitly comparing them to PC, hence the term "PC" appearing the sentence. Also, I don't believe piracy rates are as high on even the last generation of consoles as they are on PC and I challenge you to find some reputable stats that show otherwise.

So I'll take it from your response, btw, that there isn't piracy on XB1 and PS4 and I'm not out of the loop after all.

Yeah, these names don't actually show anything. I asked for some citations that piracy on consoles is as high in proportion as on PC.

Your post gives every appearance of being an attempt to post-fact justify piracy. If it isn't then you are quite welcome right now to reply to this post saying that I misread you and that you actually do think piracy is wrong.

Proof of a basic economic concept? Let me present to you two scenarios:
    (a) A game costs £60 and you can never get that money back.
    (b) A game costs £60 and you can get £10 back easily when you're done with it.

Which scenario makes the game more valuable to you as a customer? Obviously and provably the latter. Ergo, a game is more valuable to people if they can resell it.

Your comments about what game publishers want are immaterial and show you haven't understood what I wrote. It is ultimately the customers who determine price based on what they are willing to pay - simple supply and demand principle. Furthermore you've presented a false example talking about publishers wanting the second hand market gone. You're suggesting they would prefer someone to buy the game new than second hand - well no ****! But the real question is whether they would prefer someone to buy the game second hand or pirate it?

They don't gain much from second hand purchases but piracy is an active negative as it takes the place of first hand sales in a way that is not constrained like second hand sales are. Piracy is immediate and doesn't ramp up slowly as the first wave of most enthusiastic buyers who are willing to pay most tire of the game. This is what happens with the second hand market. It starts kicking in later, when companies are already looking at dropping their prices a little. And it can't outpace legitimate sales - it's limited to the fraction of legitimate buyers who sell theirs on. Neither is true of piracy - it competes with first hand sales immediately on release in the most lucrative phase of a game's release and there is no limit on how many people can pirate a game instead of buying new.

So you see, your parallels to second hand games are very limited and not much use. And you see there's a world of difference between my asking for citations on console piracy proportions being as high as you claim and you just going 'oh yeah? well I want proof from you too, then', because the above is a pretty clear argument explaining fairly basic principles. It's not me claiming numbers are something just because I say they are.

Because I find it an interesting subject to examine the effect the original XB1 model could have had on the games industry.

The reasons I interpret your post as agreeing with piracy are several. You present flawed reasons why piracy is no different to the second hand game market (something people considered a natural right and not hugely destructive to the game industry) and so you seem to be trying to diminish the harm it does. Also because you refer to games publishers as scumbags and generally take a hostile tone toward those trying to sell their games.

By all means if you consider piracy harmful and wrong, you need to be aware that's not how you're coming across. I see others read your post the same way.

Okay. None of that is equivalent to getting "90% of the way through a movie" and then being told you have to pay to watch the end. Your analogy remains bad. I'm not just going to repeat the list of reasons why - it was all given more fully the first time around.

You HAVE to be joking. You can't possibly be this naïve. Have you looked at the pharmaceuticals industry, or mobile phone networks or power companies or the hardware industry? There is corruption! You seem to be confusing sales practices you don't like (selling non-vital parts of games as extensions) with actual corruption (bribery, price-fixing, anti-competitive practices). DLC is not "corruption". Samsung giving a case full of banknotes to a judge (true fact) is corruption. Not "side-quest X for £5 to expand the game." That is just something you don't like.

And why is this all relevant to piracy? No especial reason that I can see - it's just establishing that games publishers are "scumbags", ergo an argument that something isn't bad because the victim is morally wrong.

Complete bollocks. I pay £9.20 for a seat at my local cinema. £10.20 if I want the better seats. In return for which I get an hour to two hours of entertainment. Batman: Arkham City cost me something like £35 when I bought it new when it was released. (£40 tops, but I think the lower figure). I must have spent something like 80 hours playing it. That's a better ratio compared to a movie of at least double. You can draw similar figures with many other games and when you factor in that more than one person might play the same purchase in a household (no, I don't usually sit on someone's lap at the cinema), it begins to spiral rapidly.

Seriously - what sort of entertainment are you comparing games to that you get so much less for your money? 1,000 piece jigsaws?

No... It's how they justify after they've decided they want something but would prefer not to pay for it.

Not in the slightest. I said buy it or don't, but don't claim the publisher made you pirate. If that's putting words in your mouth then how come a couple of lines above you're saying "this is why people pirate" about things the publisher does?

I have already shown ample differences between second hand market and piracy - your argument is dead, bloated and floating on its back in a fishbowl. Repetition will not revive it.

Also, if you think there is no second hand market for movies I suggest you visit an obscure site called "Amazon" and search for pretty much any DVD you care to name. You'll see options there to buy from second hand sellers. Lots of them. Maybe it's a conspiracy by Jeff Bezos to confuse me, but I suspect not. Do you ever check your facts before posting something? Even easy and obvious things like this?

Indeed not, but that doesn't justify piracy, it justifies holding off buying it. Holding off buying it gives a publisher incentive to fix things. Piracy gives them an incentive to spend more on DRM solutions. This returns us to the general gist of you trying to make a case why publishers are "scumbags" which, in the context of an argument on piracy, really just reads as trying to condone stealing the content instead of paying it. That's pretty much the purpose of making someone look bad and something every prosecuting lawyer learns on day one.

The word is "effect". And I blame people for their actions as a general rule.

15. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    just a quick note to ya´ll..

there are more then enough xbone one and ps4 ISO´s around. here are some examples...not mine. im just diiging harder then you all i guess.. and its also legit..

(REMOVED BY MOD)

not gonna post more names, since im not shure if allowed. dont wanna get in trouble..

and so on and on and on... and judging from the downloads that i can see with some more digging, its quite a lot...

im not promoting piracy at all..im using mainly steam summer sales, GoG or Origin, sadly, since u must have this crap for bf4, and everyone plays bf4 so u have to have it also, so u can spend time/ play with ur friends, haha....

anyway, just wanted to show that these wanna be next gen consoles are just as pirated as anything else...

let it be ps3, ps4, xbone one, 360, WII, PC or whatever..

someone saying PC gamers are cancer is ether blind or pure stupid..

*rent

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2014

16. rflair

GPU:
    5700XT
    I don't think anyone is saying PC gamers are a cancer, they are saying pirates are a cancer to PC gaming.

17. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    Thanks for editing my post, wasnt shure if allowed.. just wanted to proof a point..

yeah, not cancer, i overreacted, but it was close..
    that was the one i was refearing to..that made me mad..

Just not true at all...nonsense..:puke2:

greetz

18. Primey0

Primey0 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7900 XT
    I can't be bothered reading all the comments so I might be repeating what others said:

guru3d you and a million other sites are reporting misinformation. This is not an anti-piracy method. The pirates complaining just didn't download the update which adds the fov slider. The game didn't come with one even if you bought it legit.

Please do some research before posting news articles.

19. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Uhu, they just barely escaped the fail then. Doesnt change my view on this being used on the main page here. Ubisoft must be happy.

20. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    ide like to see more demos for these games for testing i used to pirate games when i knew a second one was coming out to see if ide like it then ide buy the new one, But not so much anymore last game i pirated was skyrim i later bought it in a steam sale with all the extras and the sad part is the pirated version was far superior with less bugs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.