Ubisoft engineer says Microsoft/Sony pressuring them to force 30fps on PC.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by harkinsteven, Oct 15, 2014.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Anyone who thought that had desperate expectations. Obviously PC ports would be better, since these consoles are based on x86, support newer APIs, and are just simply more powerful than last-gen. But otherwise, game developers will always take the easy way out unless they care more about the customer than their wallets.

2. danfim

danfim Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    Right you are.

3. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    The piracy excuse is nothing but that, an excuse. Not to discount it entirely, yes its a problem, but it is on console too.

No, Crysis sold poorly because its more a tech demo than a game. You know why people pirated it? To stress test their hardware and then go and play actual games.

Call of Duty is a stupid comparison since at the time Advanced Warfare was a step up in the COD series featuring a whole new take and was the last iteration of CoD to feature dedicated servers. It was in fact the last CoD I played, but I played the hell out of CoD4 for years.
    I imagine it was the same for many other players. And if those players DID want to play multiplayer, they needed to purchase the game. Makes sense to me!

4. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Popular games are always amongst the most pirated unless they have a really good multiplayer experience which forces you to buy the game. Which is part of the reason consoles are preferred by game devs for single player games. There is simply less pirating on consoles.

Crap sales to me means the game made little or no money. Not a complete flop, but not great. Crysis simply didn't sell the massive amount they expected. Underwhelming sales? Yeah. Crap sales? no.

CoD is an outlier in the gaming world. I have no idea how its following continues to grow year after year of repackaged the same damn game experience. I think making the comparison is a bit unfair.

5. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 @ 1480Mhz GPU
    Oh to hell with both 30fps AND 60fps! I want 120fps support! I don't do 60Hz/fps unless I am forced. There should be neither 30fps lock nor 60fps lock! Instead - NO LOCK! I think about the only lock I am OK with is the V-Sync lock that some games, like Skyrim, require in order to play properly.

6. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    What is really worry's me : console makers are pressuring them into doing the same thing on PC
    Hail to the next-gen or should i call no-gen consoles?!

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    While I don't think there should ever be a cap on FPS, I don't see 120FPS or higher ever being necessary. Since I personally never used a 120Hz+ monitor myself, I can't rightly say that wanting such a high refresh rate is dumb. However, like many pricey luxuries, you only THINK the experience is better because that's what your wallet tells you. It's like a wine snob being given a $10 bottle while being told it's worth $500 and they they believe it is worth every penny.

8. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Excuse me. I've been saying from the beginning, that the next gen consoles were not going to change a thing. So far, I have been right.

9. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    this way of doing last since long time: EA was a master in limit PC game to make console game look better (because there is more buy and it cost more).

alice madness return, the sim 2, reckoning... all of those are fps or/and res limited. Once modded they look... hmm like when it was presented to public lol

BTW on computer you can ALWAYS mod the game (if you don't know how there is some website with everything already done, just to download... google or Yandex is your friend (despite he spy you :puke2:)

10. danfim

danfim Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    To be fair, the ports might actually have become even worse on average. :)

11. BedantP

BedantP Guest

GPU:
    1660Ti
    This is ****! Why torture us with crappy gameplay? Upgrade your ****ty consoles. I am tensed as I am gonna get a new HIGH end rig.
    Not fair. Spend great money in great rigs, still eat 30 FPS. PC Gamers will stick with old games if this happens.

GTX 980
    i5-4440
    8GB RAM
    VS550
    B85M-DS3H

12. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
  13. BedantP

BedantP Guest

GPU:
    1660Ti
    The bold ones are true. You can't hook up your million-dollar keyboard on a console but you can hook up a controller for PC.

14. Arioch13

Arioch13 Guest

GPU:
    Titans - GTX 980s AMP Ext
    They are concerned about the Xbox. People are not buying games on it. Most people I know brought it for a variety of reasons but mainly to be a reasonably priced Media Centre as they came back to gaming on PC at the end of the last console cycle. So the Xbox is mainly gathering dust until people come back from the pub/bar and are looking for a lightweight same screen type multiplayer. It has become the Wii replacement rather than a serious gaming platform.

The product was dated the day it launched and they are having problems because PCs are still by far the better experience and more people are gaming on PCs again.

True to type, rather than innovate, Microsoft tries to try and hold back an entire industry. It will fail again just like it has in the past and continue damaging the credibility of both MS and the console they are so desperate to artificially protect. Worse, it will destroy the sales of ports to PC damaging developers and publishers as well. Trust MS to come up with the ultimate lose/lose scenario. They must have been very desperate indeed to resort to this. With MS they can take a very long time indeed to wake up and change course. This is after all the company whose core products have had two strikes out of three recently. Windows Vista and 8 being almost universally ignored by IT departments.

What monitor can VSynch at 30 FPS? None from the present decade I think. Ironically, it is games that people cant get on consoles that do not suffer from 30 fps. Games like Civilazation V or shortly, CiV beyond earth where it wouldn't matter so much. For games like BF4 or action oriented games it is unplayable.

I wouldn't doubt Microsoft's determination on this though. This is an admission of just how desperate they are and just how badly they miscalculated with the Xbox. I would be very surprised if Sony have taken a similar stance unless they just hoped on the MS bandwagon once it got rolling. They are not usually so blind.

15. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    This is exactly right. The exec's are pandering to the console. Sony doesn't care about PC's,and why should they? Microsoft cares about their operating system. They look at the Xbox like Jerry Jones looks at the Cowboys. Its their toy,their obsession. The PC is only going to slow down the Xbox. Games used to be made for the PC 1st then ported to the console,now its the other way around and because of that,PC games get severely gimped. Sure,there might be a few examples of good ports,but there are far and few between.

16. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Shame on them if true which I doubt, make the best they can on current consoles then improve for the better tech in high end pc's

17. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Look at Valve's engine. They solved the problem of physics not being the same speed with different tickrates.

They have 64 and 128 tickrate. Something tells me that it would be possible to do 32 with the same speed in physics as well with some adjustments.

Basically you design your game with a world that runs at a 128 tickrate (128 updates/sec) and you can scale all the way down to 32...

The sheer stupidity in gamedevelopment makes me facepalm.

18. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    It is true.. The PC is just an afterthought now. They do just enough to port that game to the PC to make it decent. Most developers don't take the time to really concentrate on PC's. I think there are a few that still do,but most of the games by EA/Ubi ect.. Have a bottom line and put a time frame on the ports to PC. I can almost guarantee that!

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    This looks like more confirmation that Sony/MS forced Ubisoft to release the 30fps Cinematic thing.

It's a poor show if this is the case, understandable as its bad PR for devs to be complaining about the hardware this soon after release.

We will have to wait and see how things turn out in the future, I can live with and understand devs only optimising to 30fps, but a hard cap is unacceptable.

20. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Valve is the only dev I know of that still supports every game they have ever released. Their games are about as bug free as you can get.

Know what the big difference is between Valve and every other large game publisher? Valve is a private company. They are not a slave to shareholders.