Ubisoft engineer says Microsoft/Sony pressuring them to force 30fps on PC.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by harkinsteven, Oct 15, 2014.

1. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    Chalk me up to also not getting the point of this. Increased frame rate helps make things more immersive and better captures fast moving images. The poster seems to be confusing in another concept entirely.

2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Gents, this is all about this:

This was on reddit, which was a continuation of the topic someone else posted on the overall comments on framerate and motion, within this thread.

Clarifying; my comments on gaming are:

(1) higher framerates are better
    (2) Motion blur per frame cannot not be distinguished above 24 samples
    (3) the ill-fated comment by Microsoft stating that "24 frames per second is more cinematic" could be a genuine confusion between frame rate and motion blur.

As you've stated, you cannot tell the difference between 24 motion blur samples per second and 128 motion blur samples per second - but you can (as can everybody else) tell the difference (when gaming) between 30 and 60 frames per second - which is why this thread exists; because the notion you can't is a ridiculous comment to make.

As a forth comment, I believe there is the possibility, as mentioned in an earlier post, that 30 frames per second gaming is a minimum standard for Xbone and PS4 as opposed to a maximum - but I stand to be corrected. Humbly.

ninja edit:

Anyone like the colours? I thought it was a really nice mix...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  3. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    "The pictures show motion..." I think you lost all credibility with that statement. There is no way you can show motion properly with a picture. A screenshot on a PC is simply going to take a single frame, the FPS will have no bearing on what it looks like.

Your videos are nearly identical with only a slight bitrate difference between the 2. I have no idea what you are trying to prove.

4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Um, pictures can show motion.

There is always a difference in bitrate. If I render the same thing 100 times, I will get a difference using a variable bitrate.

In answer to your specific question, someone said they could tell the difference between different rates of motion sampling per frame above 24 samples per frame. That is what I was proving - and I must add: by request.

5. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    Thank you for clarifying. I was utterly mystified how you thought what you were posting countered ideas that 30fps didn't have disadvantages. I'm not well-read enough on the subject of blur to comment on that. I do know that the criticisms levelled at the Hobbit movie are not applicable to the video game discussion which is where I've usually heard the subject of blur raised so I associated your argument with that.

We don't know, by the way, the anyone from Microsoft said 24fps is more cinematic or even the context if they did. All we know is that an unverified individual on Reddit said that they talked to an unnamed game developer who they said made a remark about 24fps which the unverified person inferred referred to Microsoft (assuming any of these multiply unverified stages happened). It is, as someone said earlier, hearsay.

6. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    To throw another spanner in the works...

We were told early on regarding DOOM 4 that it would be 30fps so as to push the graphics fidelity up. So this 30fps thing has been slowly (planned) happening for years by various companies and their products...especially towards the end of a consoles life (ps3 + x360).

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    That's not really a spanner though, lot's of console game devs have picked 30fps over 60 so they can up the visual quality, nearly all exclusives are 30fps.

It was only more of a news story with Doom 4 as Rage and Wolfenstein was 60fps.

8. bobdude

bobdude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    yet another reason to stay with console I left the pc scene a year ago and still happy that I did but that's my opinion...

9. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    The PC isn't loosing anything over the console though. In this instance both games would be locked at 30 FPS. So what exactly are you gaining?

Honestly the cost of games and flexibility of the platform are what draw me to PC gaming more. The sales and bundles make it much cheaper and I can play those games on any PC I own. Traveling? Load up some indie games on my low end laptop and I have a great way to kill time at the airport.

I have a 360 and when I found out that all my digital purchases were locked to that old system and would not come over to the XB1, I called it quits on consoles. How long until MS shuts those systems down and those investments are lost for me? I won't give them anymore of my money.