Ubisoft Bypasses Steam Completely with Ghost Recon Breakpoint

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 12, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I hope you guys do not like ubisoft games becouse this only shows where their allegiance lies with their future games.

3. intellimoo

intellimoo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 SUPER GamX
  4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hardly a surprise, epic is paying them to do so. They did release a smaller game called starlink on steam though.

5. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Annual report.

Pg 15, says it all.

They are saying that net income from digital needs to increase - as a result they need to expand their digital transactions by spreading out their exposure and push for back catalog growth; and I quote:

So, although they pay a percentage to steam etc, these platforms have a lot of users and they are trying to reassure stakeholders and share owners of their understanding of the problem, and to push for as much inclusion in the digital transaction 'space' as possible.

lucidus likes this.
  6. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    And this time Russian version does not have EMEA languages anymore, only Russian subtitles (with English audio)

7. HitokiriX

HitokiriX Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    I haven't bought a ubisoft made or published game in years so i'm good!

TalentX likes this.
  8. Primey0

Primey0 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7900 XT
    mackintosh likes this.
  9. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Problem is, it's not just ubisoft who is releasing unfinished games, this seems to be the trend nowadays with everyone releasing BETAs at best and expecting the full 60 upfront.

schmidtbag and Brasky like this.
  10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    50% of their sales were of old games?

11. m4dn355

m4dn355 Master Guru

GPU:
    Guru3D 2080 Super H
    At first glance I thought that Ubisoft bypasses Denuvo completely :rolleyes:

12. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Just when i was starting to like Ubisoft.

13. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I mean, i just bought it of uplay anyway... why go through steam when you then have to go through uplay? just extra DRM at that point, and buying on uplay was often cheaper, since you can always get 20% off with their discount code... Don;t know if it's the same with epic still going through uplay, i assume so....

Don't fully get the steam loyalty thing, but maybe that's just me... i don't mind where i buy from, mind you not EPIC atm due to things that everyone speaks about... but with uplay games, since you get them on uplay anyway its never been an issue for me

G*addict and screwtech02 like this.
  14. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    That's good news and means less low-effort games by that greedy publisher. The last ones were average at best and very troublesome.

15. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Why does it HAVE to be on steam and why are people such steam apologists? Having to go through steam and then the ubisoft launcher is silly. That's how the last game worked.

Screw steam.

Mundosold likes this.

16. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    For me the worst part is being forced to use Uplay on top of Steam or whatever, it´s the main reason why i pay very little attention to Ubisoft games.

17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Hey, to be fair, at least it's not only on EGS. And exactly because you already had to have a uplay account, it's just a matter in which launcher you buy it, not launch it. Or am I off here? Don't think this is a problem because it's not a temporary exclusive to anything. I have to be so fair to not bash EGS here.

Netherwind likes this.
  18. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Unless I'm getting a nice discount, as a customer, I don't care where I buy a game, really. Every bit of this from Epic, etc., has to do with with what is convenient and more cost effective for the game publisher--not me, as a customer. If the change in distributor has no positive benefits for me then it really is a yawn event. In all these discussions the *customer* is being ignored by the game distributors, devs and publishers. Not as smart a move as they might think, imo.

19. Alienwarez567

Alienwarez567 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1
    Great I will just buy on uplay and not having to use steam is just as bonus.

rl66 and metagamer like this.
  20. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I honestly don't mind on what store front I purchase a game. I also don't think anyone would want the developer to lose out due to unfair practices. If there are issues then I think the developers themselves need to get together to tackle these for the sake of fairness. Despite Steam's current status, there are always options...some might need time and a bit of faith to embed.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    rl66 likes this.