1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ubisoft: Anno 1800 will be removed from Steam on release date

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 1, 2019.

1. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Yes, we know. Just like every other game from Ubisoft, you can't get around Uplay (unless the game is DRM free, like Far Cry 2, or is bought through GoG). Guess what, you still need Uplay even in the case of Epic.

Why does Ubisoft even bother with 3rd party launchers?

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M
    Distribution, easy as that. Steam is a big platform and Epic is poised to be a big platform.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I don't see this lasting forever. Valve's cut of game sales is as high as it is because they dominate the market as a DRM and a distributor. They rake in a LOT of cash (though honestly, they seem to be putting it to good use, at least IMO). If Valve really starts feeling the pressure of publishers and indie devs wanting to leave, all Valve has to do is lower their cut of game sales. I'm sure they can afford it just fine, but they're holding off until they really feel the need to. A couple games here and there isn't going to make them budge.

airbud7 and mbk1969 like this.
  4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    I just wonder when Valve is going to act.

You think internally they're discussing, or do they wait for an EGS crash?

5. deusex

deusex Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080 Ti FE
    I think the turning point for Valve could be Borderlands 3 coming exclusively to Epic in October.

Keitosha likes this.
  6. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Smart move from Ubisoft: releasing his game only on Epic store and his own store makes Uplay the best place to buy the game.

Epic :D

fantaskarsef likes this.
  7. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4375
    Ubisoft is playing chess while Epic's playing checkers.

airbud7 and fantaskarsef like this.
  8. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    As I said in the other thread, this shouldn't be a surprise. Ubisoft made it clear that they intend to work with Epic in the future and we should expect most (if not all) Ubisoft games to be on the EGS alongside their own store.

GamerNerves likes this.
  9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I dont like Ubi games so eh i dont care. But I like I said before I dont like the idea of ever publisher have there own digital gaming platform client my my point few I want all my games on one digital platform client. but I can see why they wall want to there own. at ltes on PC

I think it an inconvenient to the end user. and is one the advantages consoles have dont have to deal with mutliuple digital stores to get there games.

10. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti
    So much for :
    As to the Metro Exodus situation, Allison and Kreiner told the GDC crowd today that the company would certainly not ever do something like that again. “We knew there was going to be some pushback there and it wasn’t an ideal solution,” Kreiner said. “We want to definitely avoid that in the future.” Allison, in a follow-up response, said, “It felt way worse and was bigger than we thought [it would be] and we got together and said, ‘We’ll never do this again this way.’”

But technically he is right, it's not exactly the same way :D

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/21/...ves-pc-gaming-fortnite-steve-allison-gdc-2019

Fun story, the only time i tried to buy something directly from Ubisoft, was AC:Origins last december, and probably it was the last time i tried to buy something there also.
    Thank god it was on Steam in sale also, and even it was there one cent cheaper. Win, win.

Hello,

I would like to inform you that we have an update on your case. Apologies for the time that it took us to get back to you.

Unfortunately, your order was successful, and there was a temporary authorisation hold placed on the funds.

We have cancelled the authorisation hold and funds should appear in your total balance within 5-7 working days. In case the hold is not released within 30 days, please contact your bank.

I would like to apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Should you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,
    Yanko
    Ubisoft Support

11. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    You know what's really inconvenient? Monopoly!

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Monopoly the game? or Monopoly that is the Microsoft? none the less it inconvenient to the end user. Some thing Console user dont need to deal with. Cause it all comes down threw there MS/PSN/Nintendo Store from purchasing/downloading running stand point

1 Username/pass to remember for all games vs dozens because there controlled by different client platforms.

Froms publishers/dev stand point it make sense for them cause they have more control, from end user it annoyance to have so many different.

Sorta like DRM from Publisher/dev stand point is make sense from end user it does not cause only effect and cause issue to people that actual bought the product. people that didnt care cause DRM is mostly been removed if they got via other means.

I can no longer isntall my Physical copy of Crysis any more cause that stupid DRM that locks the install count, that I didnt know about till after I clean wipe my PC countless time just to find out I "needed" to uninstall the game to revoke that install before I wipe my pc so it could be installed.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    airbud7 likes this.
  13. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Nope, they only need to buy additional hardware costing several hundred dollars to play exclusives on another console. It's not inconvenient at all! :p
    Compared to console gamers, we have it easy. We PC gamers can play any PC game we want without needing to fork over more money - if the choice is between paying an additional $300 to play a console exclusive and downloading free software for a PC "exclusive", I'd pick the latter every single time.

Also, having a single store front might be more convenient for gamers, but it's definitely not convenient for the developers / publishers - it boxes them into a corner and forces them to abide by the store's rules. Mobile developers have no choice but to use the App / Play Store for their apps which, like Steam, take a 30% cut (some devs have tried to work around this - such as signing up through the website instead of the app - showing their discontent). If they had the choice to use another store with a much lower fee, I bet most of them would take it.

Show me someone who likes high fees and I'll show you a liar.

airbud7 and WalterDasTrevas like this.
  14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I'm kinda cheating here but....:
    [​IMG]

airbud7, KissSh0t and D3M1G0D like this.
  15. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    No, I'm not talking about monopoly in a game or two, or 10, does not make sense
    I speak about market monopoly.
    Only one megacorporation monopolizing all games, third party products.
    If you could buy pineapples only in a single big store, when demand declined, the pineapple price would rise to meet shareholder goals.
    Competition reduces the price, and lower prices favor everyone, not just your convenience.
    If a store offers a better profit division, I'd rather have the right to choose.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    patteSatan likes this.

16. SeanChin

SeanChin New Member

GPU:
    RXT 2080ti
    I'm glad this is coming to Epic Games Store. With the recent free games, my collection on Epic Games Store is growing. As most gamers realize, having another store is good for everyone.

patteSatan likes this.
  17. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 GAMING X
    didnt epic store said they wont have shitty games?

fantaskarsef likes this.
  18. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    They probably used better grammar for such a statement.

19. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    I can't be the only one that sees big companies using this as a ploy to get more profit. For example, warn that you are pulling the game or games off steam in order to get desperate pre order money, then get extra money upon release from those who wish to "stick it" to Steam by supporting EGS.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Epic is dead on arrival.

just like GFWL
    Origin,
    Stardock games
    and every other wannabe pc gaming store before them.