TXAA Preview

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Spets, Aug 7, 2012.

1. psyside

psyside Master Guru

GPU:
    7950 @1150/6000
    SMAA is the best method together with SSAA/MSAA all of this other "low performance" impact AA modes sux.

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    as does both your topic knowledge and contribution

3. psyside

psyside Master Guru

GPU:
    7950 @1150/6000
    Thanks, i prefer to be realistic, if you want to act superior this is bad place, instead of that try the same approach irl, oh wait you can't.

4. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    TXAA is not a super heavy hit in performance, but it's there. And then negative LOD obviously is a heavy performance hit. Having the detail, removing it, and adding it again. I know it's what we do with sgssaa, but I'm not convinced it's the way to go.

5. MrMicrochip

MrMicrochip Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 1070 Phoenix
    Well I am shocked. Those example pics are horrific, there is so much blur that even textures loose most of its detail. I would not use TXAA at current state.

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Cyberdyne, LOD bias fps impact is practically nonexistent... AFAIR

7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Maybe it depends on the game then?
    Because anything past -1.5 LOD in Skyrim is a lag fest for me. The only game as of late I've bothered to add LOD.
    The act of removing mipmaping and having far textures display as full res from afar seemed made sense in my head that it cuts your FPS. I know it did in Skyrim, tried -3.0 for the hell of it and I got maybe 10 fps with the texture pack DLC.

8. fellix

fellix Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA² GTX 1080 Ti
    Negative texture LOD is known to cause GPU texture cache trashing, that could affect the performance depending on the particular case/game and the GPU architecture that is running on.

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Yeah... just tried it in Skyrim. Kills my fps. Skyrim is enough texture heavy for my GPU/VRAM even as it is.

10. SirPauly

SirPauly Member

GPU:
    GTX
    Timothy joined in the Discussion at Anand's.

After investigating the feature, well, it really does a nice job of cleaning up the aliasing, specifically while moving and in this context, really may help immersion for the one's that don't mind the trade-off.

However, this offers a noticeable blur and many gamers like sharp and clean and Timothy mentions some details here:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=33804405&postcount=191

The quote I enjoyed was the SSAA Discussion aspect:

The key to me is this brings some unconventional SSAA to modern titles with efficiency - without the big hit associated with SSAA. That's what impressed me the most.

11. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Hmh... For still images FXAA seems to be better. TXAA is just too blurry and doesn't do that good job. In motion it might look good but it's still way too blurry. There's a problem if I get a feeling that I need to go to the optician.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    And regarding performance impact..

So overall TXAA is very optimized and fast, tnx SirPauly for the link :)

13. SirPauly

SirPauly Member

GPU:
    GTX
    Timothy's views were so welcomed in that thread, hehe, it was ridiculous. Personally desired to see the anti-aliasing attributes and how did the feature compare to conventional super-sampling? The quality reminded me of x4-x8 AA from an anti-aliasing point-of-view but very subjective. Received --- it's not super-sampled -- can't be compared -- misinformed hyperbole!

The con's are the feature is proprietary, can't be forced on , restricted to game developer support and a noticeable trade-off -- blur or what nVidia states as a softening of the image! The strength is while moving and the over-all efficiency of the anti-aliasing while moving -- really does a nice job. Is this feature for all? Absolutely not but it's different and innovative -- a thumbs up - but not a strong thumbs up based on the cons.

14. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    Don't trust that article. It's not optimized OR fast. As much as I don't like FXAA in some titles, I witnessed TXAA x2 and x4 in The Secret World.

Nothing but a slowdown fest, and I could have sworn I needed glasses it was so blurry.

I don't know who Nvidia is trying to fool with that, but TXAA isn't what they claim it to be.

I only see those with SLI GTX 670's + having any luck FPS wise with TXAA, but still the image is VERY blurry.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  15. SirPauly

SirPauly Member

GPU:
    GTX

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    If it kills and gets rid of Temporal aliasing. Then i'm all for it.

I'd rather have no aliasing. Then some.
    timothylottes(dot)blogspot(dot)com/2012/08/txaa-visual-q-and-about-stills.html

Also: no one is forcing you to use TXAA. If you don't like it, don't use it.
    You can still use MSAA in TSW with no issues. If you want sharpness and the aliasing that comes with it. Be my guest.

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC

What article, it was a reply from "the maker" TimothyLottes. :)

He tested on 650M, obviously not a fast gpu - it gets 18ms per frame, that's just a little below 60fps. Now if 2x txaa is really only 0.67ms and 4x 1.34ms then yes that's uber fast, no? 2xaa already takes away 4.4ms

Although i would like to get my hands on his txaa injector and test on Bf3 + other games :D

Idk about the secret world's TXAA, but i think it could be just poor implementation, I saw they used txaa.dll injector..

18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    TXAA is a combination of hardware anti-aliasing, a custom anti-aliasing resolve, and a temporal filter.

Hence, there is less-than-zero chance of TXAA ever becoming injectable

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Yes i know its a combo of std. aa + post process aa,

But the real question is, how did he test it in Bf3, with what? He must have used some kind of injector, just like The secret world does with its .dll file, wouldn't you agree?

20. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Since he's the guy who made TXAA, I would presume he was able to incorporate TXAA with DICE's MSAA.

TXAA can not just be injected from outside, that's for sure.
    It has to be build within a game. No injectors, ever.