Two ATI 5770 or a 5850?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Korz, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Korz

Korz New Member

GPU:
    Up for debate
    I am putting together a new computer and I was wondering if I should go for two 5770 crossfire or a 5850? The reason I am picking between the two is cost as the 5870 is a lot more. It will be a i7 930 with 6 gig of 1600 RAM on the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5.

Also the power supply I am looking at has 2 PCI-E 8 pin connectors will that work as 6 pin that the 5770 and the 5850 needs? :confused:

Thank you.

2. jskyg

jskyg Master Guru

GPU:
    powercolor 5850@775/1125
    A single card is less trouble than crossfire, personally I always go for single card setups and have very few issues.

3. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Honestly, I'm just about done with talking about this. There are no less than 5 topics made in the last two weeks for this exact same thing. Typically I'm not one to call people out on it, but let's do a little searching.

4. Korz

Korz New Member

GPU:
    Up for debate
    I did actually try to do some searching and it came up with nothing. I did find one post where someone was asking about it but did not mention the 8 pin thing.

5. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    I would say the 5770s would be faster, but I'd get a 5850 first and get a second later

6. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    The power supply you're looking at probably has has a 6/2 Pin (works with both cards)

not a 8pin that would be silly theses days

Also the 5850 would be the best choice.

7. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
  8. Korz

Korz New Member

GPU:
    Up for debate
    That was a great review by him and that was the one I did see that I mentioned before. However my system build is very different then the person who asked that question in that link. I know everyone here is very knowledgeable about hardware and I have not kept up with a lot of the issues or specifications for new products. I wanted to know which set would work best with the processer and motherboard I have selected. I maybe should have made that a little more clear in the original post so I do apologize for that.

I appreciate any advice or insite that anyone can give me in regards to compatability, performance, or possible bottlenecks in the system I plan on putting together.

9. zmanster

zmanster Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 470 SLI (water)
    No bottleneck issues with the 5850 however the memory interface for the 5770 is 128 bit. So, the answer...get the 5850; you can overclock to levels beyond that of the 5770 using RBE, plus you can upgrade and buy another 5850 in the future to CF when the price drops. Buying two 5770 limits your rigs upgradability. Both the 5770 CF and 5850 will play all current games easily at max settings but when newer games come out, the 5770 CF setup may not, however the 5850 CF setup protects you far far into the future!! If you google the 5850 or 5770, you'll find plenty of sites iwth benchmarks comparing these cards. You'll find that the 5850 is pretty damn close in performance to the 5770 CF setup.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  10. Korz

Korz New Member

GPU:
    Up for debate

zmanster thank you so much. I appreciate your response. That is a good point about picking up another 5850 down the road if I ever need to upgrade. I typically use Guru3d and check the reviews to see bench markings. I really like how much information they put into them.

11. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    actually, the 128bit memory interface on the 5770 isnt a bottleneck at all due to the high frequency of the memory. alienbabeltech did a test on the 5770 to verify if it was a bottleneck or not and the core ended up being the bottleneck.

personally id choose the 5770 crossfire, as when i had one, it performed on par with the 5870 on most games, and performed better on some crossfire optimised games. most dx9 games seem to perform better with crossfire 5770s compared to a single 5870.

when i went from crossfire 5770s to a single 5850, i found its performance was disappointing, so i ended up getting a second 5850.

so from my opinion, go the 5850 if you plan to crossfire it down the track, but i'd suggest sticking with 5770 crossfire as theres no doubt they'll handle games at 1920x1080 at high detail >60fps, and its cheaper for the most part so you wont feel as disappointed when ati release their 6000 series cards in 6-7months time.