Twice as powerful but double energy usage - Nvidia GeForce RTX 40 video cards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 8, 2021.

1. FlyBy

FlyBy Member

GPU:
    Asus 1080ti wc
    100% no way I will buy such a card and I wouldn't even run it if I got one for free. 500+W for a GPU is a clear sign Jentzen cannot read the signs written on each and every wall around this dying globe. Instead of going the right way they do what has been said for centuries....going down with a big party instead of trying to do it right and maybe safe our planet.

If Nvidia was Mercedes, Toyota or any other "normal" & "regulated" company they would have to go back to the drawing board cause no state or country would allow them to sell that card due to environmental "difficulties".

Nvidia, sit down, "F!" Do it again and now do it right or shut the F%$$ up and stop ruining my kids planet

A real angry dad of 3 seeing things going really wrong

My 2 cents

Keitosha likes this.
  2. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
  3. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    To be fair the behind the headline they say 350W for 3090 and 450-600W for equivelent Lovelace (so probably more like 500W like the other rumours said). Just as not as much clickbait if they say 50% more power draw.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    upload_2021-11-8_12-33-35.png

By the same user.

I would argue that a card with double the power, double the performance is more green.

barbacot likes this.

5. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Strix OC
    I would! - gimme, gimme, gimme!

Airbud, mackintosh and tunejunky like this.
  6. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Fermi cooking time.

7. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Strix OC
    Thanks - didn't knew that.

So, it's the same like the table with leaks from July....what's new???

8. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    Your kids planet? Talk about being self-centered...

The primary problem on this planet is overpopulation, and by having more than 2 kids, you are contributing to the problem...

9. Cplifj

Cplifj Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega64 XTX
    As General Patton would say : NUTS.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I would buy one if i could find one but there all sold out $450 is my limit for gpu which what i payed for 1070ti and what i pay of 670ti before i sent it back. now the xx60 series is $450 and using much more power then those 60ti i had. back fact remain cant find them.

I been on Evga notify list for them since they came out and few other list i have not been notifed by any. then again that is fine, cause I need to get new monitor first or switch to brand that actual use 2 hdmi ports and not 1. and I kind loyal to evga for gpu. they never gave me problem out dieing from old age.

I said it before I will say it again I am GLAD i managed to get ps5

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Nothing honestly. I personally don't think it's true for gaming cards. I don't think any of the gaming GPUs will be MCM from either company (maybe AMD but still kind of doubt it). I think the power consumption figures/MCM rumors are for datacenter chips but we'll see.

12. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 RTX 2070
    which was my first thoughts as well.
    but if so then their idea of MCM is to fashion for monolithic dies and squeak by by process improved yield which is much lower than for higher yield smaller dies with an improved process (with more advanced controllers) a la AMD.
    which if you stop to think about it is very Nvidia and falls more squarely in their wheelhouse of pushing for every sq. micro-millimeter of available die space. and it would help explain the alleged power consumption.

so until i know further this strikes me as very much the type of brute force engineering Nvidia is known for, but i have more than a grain of salt at this point about actual power draw as it still seems illogically high.

13. Cplifj

Cplifj Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega64 XTX
    You are one that believes anything clearly, so you'll be had every time.

There is no overpopulation , there is only overGreed of some who want it all for themselves, and you believe Them. Sad sad world this has become.

Legacy-ZA likes this.
  14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah the overpopulation myth is kind of a weird one.

15. s3ruX

s3ruX Member

GPU:
    RX 470(4GB)
    Yeah things is getting out of hand... imagine waste 1200~1500w hour to play a procreating game... they need to chillout i will stay with 2060~3060 and wait for more energy efficient cards

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Imagine what would happen if the world instated 1 kid per family and made you have papers to do and any violators were sumarily put down to control the problem. i seriously hope i dont live to see what happen when we have 10+ billion people or even 16billion people think food/water and power shortage parts world have now are bad wait till we have that many people.

Personal i dont want kids cause i dont them to grow up in world where was ruined prior generations that where warned but did nothing cause it was more important to line there pockets then to make sure future generations actual have planet that can sustain them.

Less thing change it is gona happen.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080

I mean at 500w it's closer to like 700-800w total system load.. which people were blowing past 15 years ago with SLI. So I don't know if I see the issue honestly.

18. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Strix OC
    NOW - back to the problem: I'm sure that we will be saved by Intel Alchemist...
    All the hopes are now in the Big Blue.

19. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    Being already on a 450W bios 24/24h with the 3090. Doubt i'll see much difference.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-ta...early-stop-growing-by-the-end-of-the-century/

It's a myth. Population growth is slowing and will eventually stall and does so independent of food shortages and global warming.

With that said I do believe in climate change. Anyway this is super far off topic.