Tweet CatalystCreator, We want AMD DX11 Multi-Threading support

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by wafu88, Nov 18, 2011.

1. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    True, and they could implement it that way and have the profiles dictate which path to take. It would be easier and probably quicker to have 2 seperate files... one that supports MT and one that doesn't.

For that matter, you should be able to configure how many threads you wanted it to use in the profile.

I can see it now... "why does setting my profile to use 8 threads slower then if I set it to use 4 threads?"

2. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    That brings us back to the original quote that they found it to be slower for them. Do they need to create a new driver (not just a new branch) specifically for MTR support?

3. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    It technically could all be in one file... but depending on what needs to be done to implement it, it may be better to have two different .dll files, especially since it would be a lot easier to do fixes to one or the other without having to worry as much about new bugs popping up due to fixes in one or the other.

4. wafu88

wafu88 Active Member

GPU:
    DDR3
    All I know is we have a real example. Civilization V. Nvidia is much better than AMD, for one reason. Nvidia supports MTR with command lists. AMD does not.

BF3 was supposed to do so as well. But AMD drivers don't support it, so DICE decided to skip this. That's what happened IMO. MTR without command lists maybe is why it would be slower, since they mentioned issues with drivers.

5. shadow_craft

shadow_craft Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS StiX OC 1070
    Since when have synthetic benchmarks accurately represent real-word values?
    Let me know cus im still waiting for that magic benchmark.

In order for MTR to succeed, you need the following to support it:
    Dx11->Video Drivers->Game

As of right now, AMD is dropping the ball with MTR, so no not a lot of games support it.

MTR will only help CPU intensive games, this is probably why BF3 didn't see a big difference (but I bet it would with slower quad cores like mine)

Where as CIV5 does see a big increase (CPU Intensive game)

What happens is this:

Game is being rendered on 1 thread/core

That core gets a spike of CPU data to process, resources are shared between rendering and that data.

CPU is unable to deliver as many frames to the video card to render.

FPS drops

----

In some cases, if the game is not being CPU bottlenecked MTR will have no benefit - for now.

This feature is needed, and AMD is lagging behind.

6. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I would think there would still be some benefit for MTR regardless if the game is cpu limited or not. That's because the CPU does have a dual purpose in games:
    -send data to the GPU
    -process certain aspects of the game like physics, calculating damage, NPCs (path finding for units), environmental effects, cutscenes and other tasks assigned to the CPU by that developer.

So I would believe that MTR would provide some improvement but that depends on how it's incorporated in the drivers and how well the drivers are for MTR, IMO.