Tweaks for dell m6800 workstation

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by Cockbender, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Cockbender

Cockbender Master Guru

GPU:
    dunno
    I'm an architect and I bought a dell m6800 laptop workstation with an I-7 4810 CPU, 16Gb ram (x2 8Gb), nvidia quadro k3100m with 4Gb GDDR5, two hard drives, Win7 64bit, for my practice. I use revit, autocad, photoshop, sketch up, things like that.

I also like to game, from WoW to fps'ers, good graphics games.

I don't really know my way around laptops as this is my first laptop with some good muscle.

Can anyone recommend some bios or windows tweaks to optimize performance?

Thanks.

2. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Though not a gaming laptop, I'd recommend using a custom Nvidia driver.

I used to own the Dell M6400 and running a custom forceware driver made gaming a wonder. Should you use a custom driver, say for another high end gpu, gaming performance will be far better than stock drivers.

Unfortunately I'm not able to guide you to the site I previously used since it's not working or has closed down, unfortunately.

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ was the site custom Nvidia drivers were available from.

Otherwise look for other sites in which you could obtain a custom/hacked desktop gpu driver made to work with your laptop. Good luck cockbender. :)

3. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
  4. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Glad to know the site is in operation and just an issue with the server.

Every laptop I've ever had would get the latest custom drivers from laptopvideo2go and I'd get a good boost in fps...

I don't know of any other site as good which offer custom laptop drivers...

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega/Navi
    well ,apart from BIOS tweaks, putting a SSD inside your notebook,will make a huge difference.

6. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960M
    Won't give any noticeable fps boost. Only loading screens, which people heavily exaggerate these times.

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega/Navi

Yeah,heavy workloads are not depending a bit of SSD speeds.Nor battery life.

it was not about getting FPS in the first place.Sorry to sound bossy, but IT makes a huge difference when moving a CAD plan with a sh!tload of objects.
    In every laptop i own i have SSDs ,and i put many SSD in notebooks i sold in last 3 years.
    And maybe i am seeing what i want to see,but everything on those computers was faster.

8. biggerx

biggerx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX
    Naw that guy just hasn't used an SSD before. He has no idea what he's missing and he's making **** up.

OP definitely put a SSD in that thing.

9. Cockbender

Cockbender Master Guru

GPU:
    dunno
    thanks for the comments so far. i'll check out that laptopvideo2go website.

one bios tweak i read about that i should do is disable "nvidia optimus" setting, which basically runs the quadro hardware all the time. enabling the setting will run the onboard intel graphics with 2gb vram by default unless it feels extra muscle is needed and thereby kicks on the quadro hardware.

another thing: i don't understand the cpu's "turbo-mode" though. it's a 2.8/3.8 ghz processor. does the bios or OS control when to kick the cpu into high gear? or is there a way to manually set the cpu to always be at 3.8?

i know battery life is always a variable, and these performance/power settings are probably in place to prolong the duration of the battery charge, but i'm just trying to learn.

thanks.

10. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    The CPU clock depends on how many threads are running on it. Each core offers a base speed of 2.8 GHz but can dynamically increase clock rates with Turbo Boost up to 3.6 GHz (for 4 active cores), 3.7 GHz (for 2 active cores) and 3.8 GHz (for 1 active core).
    ( http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-4810MQ-Notebook-Processor.109765.0.html ) It's built in Intel feature like in about all processors recently. With Intel XTU you might be able to tinker a little with the clocks - but mobile chips offer much less leeway than the desktop processors. There is no point to tinker with Optimus, the technology is smart enough (99.9%?).

11. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080/intel4400
    As a tech that used to work for Dell to repair these system. I would suggest to watch your temps. The most common issue among these is the System board overheating a lot depending on the revision. Other than that i would suggest to use custom drivers as well. Just be careful. The ones provided from Dell are alright but ive encountered a lot of bugs within them.

12. Cockbender

Cockbender Master Guru

GPU:
    dunno
    laptopvideo2go has a crap-ton of versions of drivers to choose from. with no ratings to go with each version, it's tough for me to make a decision. should i just go with the version that has been downloaded the most? or can anybody give me a recommendation on a stable but good-performer driver?

thanks.

13. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
  14. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    The latest that works. The latest WHQL. The latest of your hw brand. I'd choose in that order.