Tweaking a HD3850 AGP

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Klaus_1250, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Klaus_1250

Klaus_1250 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 AGP
    I have a HD3850 AGP on a XP SP3 system with a P4 3.2 / 2GB. It works ok, except for some minor issues with hardware accelerated playbay of WMV and h264 (but only when using ATi's decoder, Cyberlink works perfectly).

I'm looking for a good guide to tweak it a bit so that WMV works as best as possible (currently only works by disabling post-processing with WMV Powertoy) and h264 HD playback is also possible with ATI's decoder (already got it from ~25fps to about 40fps using undocumented tweaks from ATi Tray Tools).

I noticed there is a fair bit of information available for HD2xxx's, but no information how tweaks for those play out on a HD3xxx. Most tweaks are also for old drivers. I'm rather surprised that there is so little info on the HD3850 AGP and getting it to work as best as possible, since it is quite populair (for an AGP card).

2. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    The vbs file in dvbforum runs on the 3850 as well (you need to google for it), I just clicked no to the 2 "are you sure" questions it asks. I don't use WMV and h264 but I bought and installed CoreAVC anyway... CoreAVC.com (it is suppose to have hardware support soonish)

3. Klaus_1250

Klaus_1250 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 AGP
    Hi,

thanx for your answer!

I found the .vbs file before, but i didn't seem to do much though. It originates from ExDeus on the AVSforum and you can find it here:
    http://exdeus.home.comcast.net/~exdeus/ati-hd2x00/

I found a decent, but rather generic tweaking guide here:
    http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_1.html

As for CoreAVC. The announcement for GPU-acceleration has been there a long time. Too long. Perhaps they'll do it, perhaps they don't. But without it, my CPU isn't fast enough. Manages to do 720p50 @ L4.0 11Mbit, but barely.

4. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    What can I use to stress test 720p50 .. I don't understand h264 much (but I have it all set up properly with ZOOM player and MPC), is there a good file to test with?

My TVCard does 720p50 using the GPU, my cpu is 10% or 20% or something. Mainly I just use a PVR and the TV directly though.