TV LICENCE covers MOBILE PHONES

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by MOFO64, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Mark

Mark Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870
  2. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Excellent.

3. MOFO64

MOFO64 Banned

GPU:
    9800GTX+ & 8800GT softTH
    yep, just what I thought :)

<< goes to hunt down all telly's in the house :rpg:

:flip: tv licencing

4. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Like Passion says its the receiving of the transmitted signal that we pay for on the licence!

5. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    The same thing is going on in Germany. There it's called GEZ and costs 17,98 EUR for one TV and one radio per month. The more devices you have, the more it's going to cost you. However, if you are a student (for example), you can fill out a form and get exempt from paying the tax.

6. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Its a stupid situation for our country to be in in 2009, still paying for TV like this! When there so much choice, and anyone who want to watch anything anywhere near decent needs to buy Sky or Virgin!:bang:

7. gampamu

gampamu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTS 320
    TV tax?! Help me understand what is going on here. Is it that the government owns and operates the broadcast facilities and levies taxes on the users to recoup the cost?

8. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    More or less. In Germany they are running a few TV and radio stations and in case you have a device that's capable of receiving those signals they want a tax for it. Even if you can prove that you're not watching or listening to them. People even went to court over this and lost.

9. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Not at all.

Back in the day, the BBC used to be the only broadcaster on the airwaves and we had to pay for a liscense to watch the TV.

It's the same today, the TV liscense fee is payed to the BBC, however there are so many channels these days some don't even watch BBC... the thing is, this doesn't stop them (because it has become law that you have to have a liscense) from charging you for it regardless. None of the revenue goes to anyone but the BBC.

It's an archaic legislation which needs to be thrown in the bin, it's simply out of date and has no place in the 21st century.

10. gampamu

gampamu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTS 320
    Are these taxes the only source of the BBC's income? No advertisements?

11. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Tv licensing is rubbish, end of.. We already pay tax, so I would have thought that would cover a government funded TV/Broadcasting (correct me if this service is not at all government funded). I hate the fact that I'm paying jonathan ross's salary (or contributing to it lol). Although in some ways top gear is worth it at all.

^^ Nope no advertising at all

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  12. Passion Fruit

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    That's right. The BBC is advert free and the license fee goes to them. People's arguments are though that even if you don't watch the BBC, you have to pay for a license to watch any other channel, which you pay for privately anyway through subscription.

13. shades3k

shades3k Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI 4870 512MB
    The BBC tend to make some of the best, most watchable tv out there imho. Hell they (with HBO) brought me Band of Brothers back in the day and that alone was worth the licence fee for a lifetime :)

I listen to some form of BBC radio every day because everything else is full of ****ty adverts every five seconds, and I use iPlayer because, lets face it, it's brilliant. It's easier than using a TV ffs! If licence fee's continue to fund the iPlayer development and delivery, partnerships making programs like Band of Brothers, great radio stations and so forth then lets keep it.

Being a student until last year I can however see the big drawback of charging each student a full licence fee. Time for a much reduced student-conscious fee perhaps, considering the average licence in a family home covers around 4-5 users.

14. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Just burying your stuff in the backyard until they are done searching. Gotta make sure you got some grass to cover the patch with though.

15. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT

16. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Cheers isn't used for bye.

Anyways this update is probably due to the N.96 haveing mobile live freeview TV isn't it, just so it's covered.

17. Seref

Seref Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 GHz Vapor-X
    Here in the States, (analog)TV and Radio licenses are payed by the broadcasters every 4 or 5 years, depending on the media. Analog TV stations and Radio stations each take up their own frequency channel, while digital signal is transmitted over a single channel. The government owns the airways that the broadcasts are sent on, and the licenses are a like a rental fee that the broadcasters have to pay. The government is actually running out of broadcast airspace and shutting down analog TV transmissions in favor of digital for good.

The license you guys have to pay is total bullcrap. Paying for a TV service, and then paying the government for paying for the service, is a horrible hidden tax. Everyone across the UK should just do as NZ did--stop paying all together and eventually they can do nothing but shut it down.

18. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    I donno why the british here are complaining.

I mean **** the BBC is way better then most public service broadcasts, my country has the license too and the public channels are crap.

To Americans, Does the government offer public television? because if it doesnt its the reason why your not paying any TV license.

19. Seref

Seref Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 GHz Vapor-X
    Sort of. We have local public channels. Those are usually analog broadcasts.

20. Passion Fruit

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    'Public' channels? What are you talking about?

The BBC isn't even that good. The only shows i watch are The Sky at Night and Top Gear.

All of the good TV is on the subscriber digital services, such as Sky.

I don't watch any TV really though, i download all of my shows unless they are British.