Turn PC off, leave it on or put to sleep?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SerotoNiN, Jan 13, 2022.

1. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    I've looked online and it seems to be a mixed response from "professionals". So I wanted to ask Gurus. I got a new rig over the holidays and it's quite the power draw. So to save money on electricity I started letting it go into sleep mode. This seemed like the best alternative to on/off. As it leaves it in a powered state but not fully powered. In the past I've always left my machines on.

I've read turning on/off kills the hardware sooner by sending jolts to the hardware when powering on each time.
    I've read leaving everything on all the time kills the hardware sooner by overuse with fans constantly on, hardware constantly powered.
    I've read neither are any different and choose what you want.
    I've read sleep mode is a good middle ground.

So since there's no clear answer, I wanted to know what everyone here does and their experience with what they do. I used to leave my PC's on all the time with no issues. This is the first time I'm trying this sleep mode deal.

Keitosha likes this.
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    inrush is indeed the most stressful time for silicon based components, and starting from a stopped state the most stressful for mechanical.

SerotoNiN likes this.
  3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    I turn PC off. And all my rigs since 2000 are alive (not all are used though).

Sleep mode has bad history, and since all components of our rigs are made with different level of attention/expertise rigs can still have problems.

Keitosha, Mineria, The1 and 1 other person like this.
  4. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    So we have 2 for leave it all on! Interesting. Think I'll have to do that then.

5. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Vision OC 24GB
    i turn pc off, usually leave laptop in sleep mode.

6. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    I've entered into the electronics/computer world as a kid in mid 80s looking what my father is doing. He as a electrical/electronics engineer, always told me since I was a boy: "...if you're not going to use some piece of tech, being it some electronics, internal combustion engine... for a while, just turn it of, everything on this world need a rest...".

So I had to specify for myself a right value regarding that for a while...

When I don't use my car or motorcycle more than minute or two I'll turn them off.

When I'm doing something important on any of my PCs + can't turn off app/apps in the middle of some work, don't have enough time to save unfinished jobs to do a complete shut down of a PC + going to take a short 10-20 minutes pause for whatever reason... I just put PC to sleep. My most important tech is connected to their own UPS so even if power backout happens for a short period of time I'll loose nothing.

If I need to go somewhere or take a break for more than 30 minutes I'll just save my unfinished work, close apps and give that PC a compete shutdown. Going to sleep: turn off PC completely.

So.... 40 years using all kinds of tech that way, I had a major electronics/mechanic/PC hardware/whatever failures that I could count on fingers of just one hand.

Not gonna change anything mentioned above, ever, father did a good job teaching me this, no way anyone would convince me to do those things different.

Keitosha and SerotoNiN like this.
  7. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I turn off my PC off when I'm not using it, but whilst it's on, my hard drives are set to never sleep (no drive head parking).

SerotoNiN likes this.
  8. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    can you explain that term a little ? I've seen it in psu reviews but no idea if it's an important measure for a psu.
    for example,is 80-90A too much ?
    [​IMG]

SerotoNiN likes this.
  9. PPC

PPC Member Guru

GPU:
    24/7/365 ON here, never any issues, PSU is pushing 12yrs of service atm, its a Silverstone Strider+. Cant tell you for the rest cuz it was changed numerous times but P67 mobo + 2600k CPU lasted from 2011 until 2020 when it was sold with no issues. Mechanical HDD's are set to go to sleep after 45 min and monitor after 20 min, thats about it.

BTW, no modern rig will be "quite the power draw" on idle. I mean the "worst" entry in Guru3d tests is TR 3990X with a whooping 112W idle. Thats like 80 kWh per month, really not that much.

Also, in my 25+ IT career i havent had a piece of HW die on me in the middle of being used, every single failure i had was after the equipment was shut down that it didnt wanna turn back on. Logic dictates that if its never turned off, it will last an eternity. ;)

SerotoNiN likes this.
  10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Modern PCs are not switch On/Off physically
    [​IMG]

PSU in your rig is powered and some part of chipset is too - to be able to turn power on by the power button on the case. So many horrors of turning electrical device On can be countered with such scenario.

11. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    I like that logic!

12. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    460 768Mb
    Maybe your answer is a high quality PSU.

13. rflair

rflair Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    24/7 here, even have an old Q9550 system that's a media server, ftp server, has been on 24/7 for 12 years.

SerotoNiN likes this.
  14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Turn PC off, then wall is switched off every night.

If there is a thunder storm wall is physically unplugged.

Keitosha and SerotoNiN like this.
  15. PPC

PPC Member Guru

GPU:
    This prevents absolutely nothing and is a totally flawed understanding of electronics. Everything is a circuit breaker, even the smallest transistors in your CPU are physical on/off switches on a microscopic level. How they are controlled is besides the point, it really doesnt matter, be it software in another circuit or a physical knob (like the picture).

Havent you ever shorted your on/off pins on your motherboard with a crewdriver?

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    When everything is turned on by software/firmware you can queue devices by priority - (1) CPU and RAM, (2) videocard, (3) SATA/RAID and drives. Many PSUs have separate slots for all these devices. So all is possible if you want to fight high start up currencies (in PSU at least).

And PSU itself is not turned off, it just has no payload.

Upd: I mean that turning power On is not completely external event now - user just informs the rig that it should turn on.

No, and what that proves?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  17. TimmyP

TimmyP Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Not using s3 sleep is foolish. Tried and tested true for over 20 years.

Still way faster than any EFI quick boot method too.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    S3 Sleep capabilities are heavily reliant on the implementation of BIOS ACPI routines (hardware events are replayed from memory) and drivers in the system playing nice, the only location it is guaranteed to behave is on a laptop with that laptops oem drivers.

19. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I turn it off (standby) when not using it, same goes for lights, TV and other stuff.

So what? Those 5 seconds so important?

Keitosha likes this.
  20. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    I turn everything off when i dont use it. As in cut the power at the wall.

Keitosha likes this.