TT spin Q or Scythe katana 3

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by mmaturen, Nov 16, 2009.

1. mmaturen

mmaturen Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 260 GTX
    Greetings, have some doubts as to which cooler would be better for my pc..
    These are my specs:

CPU Intel Quad CORE 6600
    MoBo Evga 680 i SLI
    VIDEO XFX 260gtx
    Case Thermal Take xaxer VI
    Just installed Windows 7 home premium,

On my original install i got a ThermalTake V1 for my build it performed great but like a month ago the fan stopped working and since y had nothing else at hand I had to replace it with the quad core stock cooler.

I’m not going to OC the CPU but in not comfortable with the stock cooler, since my rig is on 24/7

So the 2 choices I have here in Venezuela are:
    ThermalTake spin Q
    http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1148&ID=1831

or
    Scythe Katana 3
    http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/cpu-cooler/katana-3-cpu-cooler.html

Those are the choices y have here budget wise, so any ideas toughs or advice on the one to get is great! (By the way the Spin Q is twice as expensive as the Katana 3)

Cheers.

2. Power_Down

Power_Down Member

GPU:
    Matrox Mystique 2MB
    if it was me, i'd probably go with the katana, if that fans too loud you can change it for something decent, the spin is all built in and 80mm smaller and louder in my books

3. mmaturen

mmaturen Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 260 GTX
    I ended up getting the Katana 3 after reading some more reviews online, the installation was a snap, I also got a Thermaltake Tmg Sl1 A2414, a slot cooler for my 260 gtx, adn I must say Im quite happy with the results! here are some numbers:

CPU on stock:
    Idle: 41-42
    Load: 47-49

CPU with the Katana 3:
    Idle: 35-37
    Load: 43-45.

260gtx Without the slot cooler:
    Idle: 45-46
    Load: 67-71

260gtx with the slot cooler
    Idle: 41-42
    Load: 65-69.

Also the overal temp inside my case droped like 3 degrees with the slot and the Katana ( the fan from the katana aims direcly at the exaust 120mm fan on the back of the case)

So, I would recomend the Katana if you are not going to OC but want to get better temps from you CPU.

Cheers.

Miguel