TSMC Fab 14: Wrong chemical usage renders thousands of wafers unusable for NVIDIA (and others)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Article has very few sentences...
    "The Chinese news website ETtoday mentioned (it's a google translation though) that more than ten thousand wafers are affected and production came to a halt"

And word of logic. Do you think that I believe 10k wafers cost mere $3000? Apparently simple typo and one became once. (I believe that word "costs" with "s" at the end hints something that can help to identify which word I wanted to write.)

2. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I apparently misread the post, and didn't even see the ten thousand listed, which is pretty sad, i read it multiple times.

My bad lol

though a 2017 article shows that a 6-inch wafer costs around $125, and a 1-inch costs around $21, so if we assume a 12-inch cost double that of a 6-inch, that'd be a 2.5 million dollar mistake. Surely not a huge dent into TSMCs overall situation though.

https://virginiasemi.wordpress.com/2017/08/20/how-much-does-a-silicon-wafer-cost/

Fox2232 likes this.
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    I do not think that doubling radius doubles price. As it quadruples area. (pricing discussion is on previous page)
    But surely, It is not big stain on larger picture. On professional level for responsible people...

4. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 56 8GB
    I worked at the nissan plant on the altima line in 2008, when the car is 'done' and rolled off the line, they are inspected for visual defects and all systems checked before they leave the building for transport.

Silva likes this.

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Great, so you have no evidence. That's all I wanted to know.

I'm only hostile when your fact synthesis is involved.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    How does that work? Isn't "fact synthesis" just another state of dogmatism? I wish you could live for a while without universal hostility.

7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I only used double since 1 inch to 6 inch seemed to have added 6ish times the cost, i can't find any "recent" information of 12 inch, sadly.

8. AMDfan

AMDfan Member

GPU:
    280X
    Can't say i feel bad for NVIDIA, i hope AMD 7nm will have no problems. As it looks now there are no such problems with 7nm. AMD better hurry with launching Navi, they may catch up with NVIDIA a bit more.

+ you get maybe again a faulty GPU that must be RMAed...

9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    I wish you two would stop.

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I don't think people are cheering here. It more like this, people don't care about the suppliers issues, since already salty because even if they were fabbing without any interruptions, they'd still do products people don't really fancy. So, kind of a different motivation than you thought I guess.

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Same opinion here, and the timing is weird.
    Don't forget tough, that we need competition, as customers, just to get the best from all companies who compete to offer best ech at best price/performance ratio.

12. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    When it rains, it pours... :oops:

13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    It saddens me to find that the failure/losses are sometimes pushed into customers pockets, we have to pay much more for whatever reasons: floods, wrong chemicals, drivers who burns video cards...to name a few.

carnivore likes this.
  14. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT/ 1070/ RX580
    Sure are a lot of people that instantly jump to conspiracies. Nvidia makes it's own mess perfectly fine without blaming them for some other factory's ineptitude.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Never thought I'd see such a statement about NVidia on this forum.... That's blasphemous.... NVidia never makes mistakes. Just ask the NVidia loyalists.....

Ok, sarcasm out of the way.... I doubt this will affect prices of the RTX2070, 2080 or 2080Ti much as NVidia already seems to be having difficulty selling them. The RTX2060 and rumored GTX1660/1660Ti on the other hand, may see price increases as a result as they're the cards most likely to sell in high volumes. Being that the issue was caused by TSMC, NVidia would have a hard time justifying price increases without admitting that it's simply due to pure greed. As I'm waiting for the rumored GTX1660Ti to drop, a price increase on the RTX2060 would be a bad sign....

16. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    A couple on here and various other (gaming forums) up there with the 8800GTX as my best buys.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    That I do believe, but I can't claim otherwise since I didn't have a 8800GTX at that time. iirc I was running AMD at that time.