trying to update NVIDIA drivers `0_o', for laptop RTX 4090

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Alexks, Apr 2, 2024.

1. Alexks

Alexks New Member

GPU:
    RTX4090
    Hello, I tried about two to three previous releases, but had not had any luck with other than an originally installed version, which is getting really outdated. My setup is a ROG monitor connected via an aftermarket TB3/DP hub into a TB port in my Razer Blade 18 laptop. They system is fairly stable, Windows is an 11 Home version. Aside of any other updates ( network drivers are maintained via Intel app), there may be some BIOS updates necessary, and an update for the native monitor software, which I cannot perform, because my laptop does not have a DP. The issue then is that after installing any of the NVIDIA driver updates the G-SYNC on my ROG monitor stops working. On top of that my laptop stops recognizing the full refresh rate of my monitors via a TB3 port / cable, which is currently set to 360 Hz. It stops recognizing any sort of number other than 60 Hz 0_o and an LED green light on my monitor turns permanently red, signaling that G-SYNC is no longer allowed to play. Everything is turned on in the NVIDIA Control Panel and maxed out in games settings. No idea, why this is happening, but any sort of useful input about the aforementioned subjects is much appreciated.

Best,

2. Horse Hooves Clomping

Horse Hooves Clomping Master Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3060ti 8gb FE
    Hello friend,
    Have you tried video driver from laptop manufacturer website?

tunejunky likes this.
  3. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    this may be a problem with HDCP
    try laptop update on native display w/o DP hub, then see if the ROG has a firmware update. once laptop is updated reconnect to the hub and go to your windows setting making sure the ROG is recognized. if it isn't recognized the quickest fastest work-around is a new HDMI cable free of the hub
    your system is very similar to my remote (ROG Scar 15" w/ TUF 27" 1440p) but i'm running a Juiced USB 3.2 hub
    you have to jump through some hoops with an external display and even when you have it set correctly you still won't be able to access some content w/o hassle - for example i use FuboTV for my "tv" content but if i want to watch ESPN i have to use their website w/subscription even though it's "paid for" w/ FuboTV

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
  4. Alexks

Alexks New Member

GPU:
    RTX4090
    hello, my ROG monitors firmware which is in it needs update, but since the laptop has no DP, I cannot do that. yes, I tried through Nvidia website, but this does not matter because there is a separate app - GeForce Experience for that. HDCP hypothesis seems more likely, but everything used to work before. I had this set up for about a year. no idea, as to why this may be happening at all. probably some feature got fixed in a boring way.

thanks,

tunejunky likes this.

5. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    no problemo

just get an hdmi 2.1 cable to get everything tuned up and then try DP again. i totally understand wanting to stay TB/DP but you have a fine ass rig that needs the temporary connectivity

another thing occurred to me and that's the DP cables themselves...check to see if they're all the same version because that's a very common problem w/ media and HDMI and both HDMI and DP use HDCP, which "blows the whistle" and causes issues

6. Alexks

Alexks New Member

GPU:
    RTX4090
    ok, a couple of months later. after switching the driver version, riding an older one for some time without updating, losing the high refresh rate at all, the latest driver patch seemed to resolve all of the issues. I had also updated the bios and discovered that in fact my laptop is also optimus capable. now I am facing an issue that I described in another thread on here, that is losing the HDR functionality in some of my League of Legend matches. it happens randomly and I did not find a viable explanation. I experimented with different switches and settings, trolling between the Game Bar app, Graphics and Display Settings, intel and dedicated GPUs in Bios etc. some games the green LED stays on - signaling that both G-Sync and HDR are on, some it turns red - meaning that the HDR is off. in the settings I tweaked the auto-HDR toggle as off, yet I get a pop-up in the bottom right corner when an auto-HDR ready game starts. it bothers me, for the facts that no idea explains why it would happen and ultimately, the bleak and pale face of a beautiful game. it is like day and night. the newly added AI-HDR functionality from a beta Nvidia App helps a bit, but I would rather have it fixed sooner than later, than keep taking such immersion losses.