Trying to Overclock Gtx 780.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by nz3777, Dec 7, 2015.

1. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Hello gurus I am running into all sorts of issues for some reason....The card in question is a EVGA Acx Gtx 780 Super-clocked edition, I am using msi afterburner latest edition and when I alter the clocks I get screen artifacting only on web-pages, looks like its destorted and so forth but games are mostly stable for the most part. I tried setting it to + 100 mhz on the core and +200 Mhz on the memory which is Samsung memory according to Gpu-z, also I am maxing the Voltage to the card as well but temps during gaming will NOT pass 75c no matter what ( i think the max is 90c? ) so its not a temp problem but something else causing this problem?

My Psu is a Corsair Hx 850 so I think I am good on the power, at least I hope. Any suggestions? When i apply no Overclock to the card ( Default clocks ) everything is FINE no problems or artifacts. Thank you in advance. Nz:stewpid:

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    maybe you are running too high on the card, try lower memory speed

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Would help if you told us what the clocks are that it's running at.

4. The1

The1 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 780ti SC, H20
    Try to o\c until it artifacts or otherwise fails on stock voltage....then and only then increase voltage gradually. Slow and easy usually works best...and for sure I have found that memory is the hardest to o\c

5. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    STRIX 2080 Super
    Generalising a little bit, the graphics card runs at different speeds depending if you are using 2D (browser) or 3D applications.

In 2D mode, the clockspeeds drop but so does the vcore. The problem you have is that the 2D vcore is too low for the clockspeed it is running at.

In Afterburner, you need to apply an overclock for ONLY 3D mode. You need to have a 2D profile (with no overclock) and a 3D profile which has your overclocked settings.

One more thing, put the memory back to stock speed. If you must overclock the RAM, (it has no effect on FPS) only do it once you have found a stable core overclock.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  6. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Thank you guys I will try to do what You said- For some reason I was following the 3-d guru guide to overclocking, it was the same card and i thought if they can do it so can i lol- Guess not! I know not all parts oc the same. I will start with gpu core stock voltage when it artifacts then I will add little voltage like you said. Much thanks I will report back in with any results.Nz

7. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Oh sorry I copied what 3d guru article said.....+150 mhz on Gpu core.......+250 mhz memory which is Samsung, Voltage I maxed out like they did, power-limit maxed also and temp was set to max 95c as far as it goes.....it did ok but crashed within 10 minutes of gameplay Metro Last light Redux.

8. quickkill2021

quickkill2021 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti sli Poseidon

You really don't know what you are doing. Please stop trying to do this and reset everything to defaults zero/0 and stop trying to overclock.

You are going to damage your computer and your card.

Before you can overclock you need to have some basic understanding or well understanding of overclocking. Your posts prove that you don't have the basic understanding required to overclock so any advice given to you will go over your head and you will proceed to damage your computer.

Not trying to bash or troll you, just trying to save you some grief and money. Have a good one.

9. southamptonfc

GPU:
    STRIX 2080 Super
    That's harsh, I don't think it's actually possible to damage his card. Hopefully with some help he can learn the correct way to overclock. Hopefully he also read what I wrote about 2D clocks :)

10. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim
    No it's completely possible to damage a GPU... yes heat can kill them but also running very fast clockspeeds can cause issues. I killed a GTX780 by running very high clock speeds. The temps never exceeded 75C but it started to artifact and even running at stock would continue to artifact. Not sure exactly what caused the problem but if I remember correctly I clocked it up to around ~1250Mhz. Well attempted to anyway... lol

If he is getting artifacting he needs to step back on the GPU clocks. I'd drop back to +50Mhz Core & +150Mhz Memory to see if the problems go away. Then you can creep up your speeds I usually go 10Mhz at a time to see if it's stable. Start by adjusting core frequency first once you find a good clock for that, then tweak the memory clocks.

Not every card is identical even with the same core and memory. Some cards will overclock very well and others will barely clock higher than stock.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015

11. southamptonfc

GPU:
    STRIX 2080 Super
    Fair enough, I should've said it's very hard, not impossible. I suspect if it was your GPU that was damaged, it probably would've died anyway, overclock or not. 1250mhz really isn't mega high for a 780.

I suspect the real cause was some fault with the VRMs or RAM. VRM temps can get way out of control when overclocking, especially when using a custom bios and some custom coolers actually do a worse job of cooling the VRMs than the reference blower.

Were you using the stock bios?

If temps are under 75C and you don't go above the voltage allowed by Nvidia, it's really hard to believe the GPU itself was damaged by overclocking.

As I said, don't touch the RAM on a 780, potential pain for no gain.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  12. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Isn't that the used 780? I would be a bit conservative with it. I've killed my used 7950 with +200 mhz overclocks.

13. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Yes stock Bios as far as I know- I got a little lazy earlier and just decided to copy 3-d guru s overclock or to replicate there Overclock, I am aware how to overclock.....

Increase Gpu core by 10-15 mhz then test to see if it is stable/.Only add voltage small percentage at a time once card starts to artifact.I will not mess around with the memory then.

Is there a gain to be had by using a modified bios on this card by any chance?

14. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Yeah chief it is the same one I said I was buying from my buddy. Ended-up paying $150 for it which I think is a GREAT deal. He never overclocked it according to him.

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    Sorry thats bogus and not possible. VRMs likely got too hot.

Ive ran a titan with over 1.4v at around 1500mhz before with 24/7 around 1400mhz for a year..

You cant kill cards just from raising clocks

16. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Thats why I bought the damm thing lol-If it burns out oh well I only paid $150 for it. But I have yet to kill a video card and I have went through alot

1) Radeon 6570 + crossfire
    2) Radeon 6870 + crossfire
    3) Radeon 6950
    4) Radeon 6970 + Crossfire
    5) Radeon Hd 7770
    6) Geforce Gtx 580
    7) Geforce Gtx 660 ti Refrence
    8) Geforce Gtx 770 Refrence
    9) Geforce Gtx 780 Acx- Current

I have overclocked all the cards I had and have NEVER killed even one card, you must have some really bad luck then I guess?

17. southamptonfc

GPU:
    STRIX 2080 Super
    You only need a modified bios if your overclock is being help back by the TDP limit.

Once overclocked, if you see that your card keeps downclocking because of hitting the TDP limit, you could use a modified bios that allows higher than the 265W allowed by the stock bios.

I'm not sure how much of an issue tdp is with the 780, it was an issue with the 780ti and Titan but they had more cores.

You should be OK with 300W on a 780 card but this is where cooling and VRM cooling start to become important. Unless you are really trying to find the limits, it's probably not worth messing with the bios.

18. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Ah no I dont have the time for something like that and honestly the performance is ok as is. I have noticed so far that +50 Mhz on the core will clock the card at 1163 Mhz while gaming so that is pretty good I guess?> Considering I think that is the Boost clock not default clocks.It performs very good so far no complaints whatsoever, 4 sure faster then my Gtx 770 was! Also noticed this card does NOT like voltage increase at all!