Trying to install a new Power Supply - need help...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by gulbane, Dec 8, 2005.

1. gulbane

gulbane Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 6600GT 128MB
    Hey all

I just installed a new ENERMAX Whisper II EG565P-VE FMA(24P) ATX12V 535W Power Supply to go with my SLI set up.

I had connected:

1 molex into the DVD player
    1 molex into the CD burner
    1 connector into the Floppy
    6 pin power connector into each video card
    24 pin connector into mobo
    6 pin connector into the mobo (for the cpu)
    The fan power connector
    2 case fan molexes
    the special "EZ plug" for when you use SLI - which is a 4 pin molex.

I plug it in - and the green light which immediately goes on in the mobo when electricity is getting to the board "flashes" instead of staying on.

No matter what I do, it wont work - am I forgetting anything?

I disconnected everything and set up my old PS and it works fine (and amazingly is pwoering my SLI set up - seems to be a miracle - its a 400W Antec)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Altazimuth

Altazimuth Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X 5870
    6-pin connector for the CPU?
    A flashing green status LED usually means there is a fault of some kind. How long is it on for and how long is it off (time it)?

3. gulbane

gulbane Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 6600GT 128MB
    Oops, I meant a 4 pin for the CPU.

The flashing green status LED flashes on, off, on, off very quickly - like .5 seconds each flash. My mobo instructions claim that the light is not used for diagnostic purposes - if the green light remains on - your in good shape. If it remains off - there is no power to the mobo. There are no instructions for a flashing light.

Oddly, the flashes for 3-4 minutes AFTER the power has been removed from the wall....wierd.

4. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

Well, as for the flashing after power has been removed, that is because your computer has capacitors, and capacitors store electricity. Just picture them as a battery that doesn't store much electricity, but can get rid of it very quickly (faster than any battery due to internal resistance). That is what makes working with some electronic devices so dangerous, there are components that store electricity and in some devices, these can kill you a long time after power has been removed from the system.

I just felt like posting that in case someone didn't know. As for the flashing thing. That is a very interesting problem. Can you test that power supply on another system? Do you have a digital multimeter handy to test voltages? The problem seems to be with the PSU if another one runs the system just fine. That, or maybe something is being overlooked. I'm not exactly sure.

5. moshpit

moshpit Guest

I'm with Royicus. Bad PSU since misconfigured seems to be fairly easily ruled out by the fact that the steps outlined cover everything needed.

6. TheGr81

TheGr81 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire Radeon HD 7870 OC
    I don't know a whole lot about SLI but I noticed you said you connected BOTH the EZ SLI connector and a motex connector to each video card. Are you sure you are supposed to use both?

7. gulbane

gulbane Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 6600GT 128MB
    I have tried removing some of the power connectors and booting - nothing seems to work. I definitely tried NOT plugging in the EZ SLI connector - and the green light continued to flash AND a red light came on near the SLI set up which shows that its not plugged in. I guess its suppose to be plugged in when you run SLI even with the cards having their own connections.

8. moshpit

moshpit Guest

Yes, EZ-Plug MUST be hooked up when SLI is in use. The only time it doesn't HAVE to be hooked up is if you're using a single card, but I even hook mine up then, just to be safe.

9. gulbane

gulbane Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 6600GT 128MB
    Eh, ok then I just guess I got a bad PS.

If my current 400W Antec is working with no side effects - is it possible I can get away with continued use?

Its 400W and has 2 12v lines - line 1 has 14a and line 2 has 15a....30a I think is the bare minimum? Thoughts?

10. moshpit

moshpit Guest

I really would get a better one for your setup, SLI itself shouldn't be fed by anything less then a 480watt PSU in order to avoid stressing the PSU and lengthen it's life expectancy. If it's running totally loaded, it increases it's chances of eventually going POP!

11. Altazimuth

Altazimuth Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X 5870
    Duh.... has it got a voltage selector switch? Is it switched to the correct mains voltage ? (well I had to ask).

Oh btw, these molex connectors are found on non-sli motherboards as well. I think they are just some kind of alternative/supplementary connector. One site, said that it was so that a 20-pin PSU could be used on a 24-pin motherboard, but I've seen 20-pin motherboards with this connector as well. Nuthins for certain in the PC world thats fer sure!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  12. moshpit

moshpit Guest

EZ-Plug is NOT an alternative. It's a necessity for SLI on Asus boards. That is definately a certainty.

13. Altazimuth

Altazimuth Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X 5870
    And I quote from a review: "ASUS provides a feature called EZ-Plug, which lets you plug a standard four-pin peripheral power connector into the motherboard next to the PCI-E slots. ASUS says this will let the board operate with older 20-pin PSUs when two videocards are installed."
    The reviewers then go on to say that even when they had a 24-pin PSU, they still had to use the EZ-Plug. This is probably the case with SLI where it functions in a supplemental and necessary capacity. But in other boards it can function as an alternative.................................................. imo!!

14. RES

RES Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290

Hi. I notice you say you plugged in the 24 pin connector.....but, you didn't say that you plugged in the 4 pin 12v power connector. I believe you have to plug it in, also. Many new power supplies don't use the 4 pin anymore, but come with an 8 pin. From what I've read you use the 4 pins on the right side of the connector in the 4 hole 12 volt socket near the cpu.
    Hope this helps.

RES