1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to Get 5.1 Audio From NVIDIA HDMI

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Masterblaster79, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Masterblaster79

Masterblaster79 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570
    So, I've done some searching and found some topics from people with similar problems, but I haven't found exactly what I was looking for so I'll give it a shot here. I'm running sound from my 570 GTX to an RCA 5.1 sound receiver (a pretty cheap reciever I know, and that may end up being my problem) via an HDMI cable which is connected to my tv via another HDMI cable. The problem is when I go to set up the speakers through windows sound setting, I only have the option for stereo sound.

I have the newest driver which includes the HDMI audio driver. Stereo sound works fine, but I'd like to be able to have 5 channel sound. Thanks in advance for any help you may have.

2. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    if your card is connected to your TV directly via hdmi, your PC will detect that its a TV and that it can only handle 2 channel audio.

i had this issue with my old home theater setup. with my new setup, i have my 560ti connected to my pioneer vsx 920 receiver via hdmi. so now windows detects my display as a home theater receiver that supports 7.1 channel.

3. Masterblaster79

Masterblaster79 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570
    Yeah I think that is what is going on. I'm hooked up to a receiver, I just think it's such a cheap one that it's really more of a pass-through and my card is just reading the TV.

4. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    hmm, i think i may have misread your opening post. you have your card directly connected to your receiver, right?

what does windows read your display as? does it show your receivers name?

right click the speaker icon in the taskbar, choose playback devices, left click your device once, then click on configure, do the other audio options show up there?

if not, then the only thing you can really do is just force your receiver to run dts neo 6 mode or dolby pro logic ii.