trying to figure out power requirements for my 465 SLI build

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by vashts1985, Nov 18, 2010.

1. vashts1985

vashts1985 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 465 SC
    at this point i am not really concerned with total wattage as i am with Amperage.

so im using a Phenom II x6 1090t on a mobo with a dual 12v rail. from what i have read, one is dedicated to the CPU and the other for everything else.

while i was originally figuring in the stated 38a req on my 465, i did some calculations of my on and came up with:

18.75 idle
    28.50 under load

so how would a second factor into this, and how does the actual power plugs to the cards themselves factor into this. how does the PSU 12v's factor into this? ive not seen many PSUs with more than 25a on each 12v, the one im currently looking at can handle 40a on each 12v, is this enough for the GPU's, is it not enough, is it deceptively more than i really need?

2. Ramair325

Ramair325 Member Guru

GPU:
    3 BFG 280gtx
    http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/ this should help ya out a bit. i have always had really good luck with thermaltake but do some reading from what i can tell every company has its good and not so good PS's. I could be wrong but from what i can tell its more about finding a good size PS for your job ie 20-30% over rated for the job (in watts overall). And then making sure that its a quality PS will likely net better results than watching what amps MFG prints on a sticker :) Don't get me wrong amps are important just not the say all imo.

edit: i personally like going with a single 12v rail but usually will run a few extra $

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  3. vashts1985

vashts1985 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 465 SC
    thats the thing, ive already calculated my wattage needs (with eXtreme power)
    i have that information, but i want to know the PSU i get is capable of dealing with the amps, it even tells you that they become more important on high end systems. of course it does not provide a calculated amperage rating.

4. Raptor5150

Raptor5150 Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX460 SC EE