Trying to choose between a few cases for a new build (750D Airflow, Enthoo Pro, Define R5)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bbsmitz, Oct 4, 2020.

1. bbsmitz

bbsmitz Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
    Many many years after I built my last PC (had an Athlon XP 2500+ and a Radeon 9700 pro!), I'm finally putting together a new machine. After a bit of research, this is what I currently have as a build. Cliffs notes: Ryzen 9 3950x with AiO Cooler/Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master/RTX 3090.

However, I'm having some difficulty settling on the case. I'll put up front that it needs a 5.25" bay for an optical drive. After a bit of looking, I'm down to the Corsair 750D Airflow, Phanteks Enthoo Pro, and Fractal Design Define R5.

The 750D and the Enthoo Pro are both large with plenty of room. I'm leaning towards the 750D as I like that I can set the HDD cage (I only need 1) back from the intake fans a little bit to help with airflow and also that it has several 2.5" drive bays along the side in case I want to add more SSDs in the future. However, I've seen almost universal acclaim for the Enthoo Pro on forums and review websites and there's something to be said for the wisdom of the masses. My plan for both of these was to mount the AiO radiator on the top of the case.

The Define R5 isn't as large as I'd like, but a) It's apparently super quiet, b) the size means I might be able to front mount the AiO with the hoses on the bottom and c) I really like the aesthetic (front panel that covers the optical drive).

I'll do a bit of overclocking hopefully, but I'm not dead set on it and it'd be more for fun than to extract serious performance gains. The machine will be used for gaming as well as running simulations on the GPU.

Any thoughts/experience/advice on these cases (or others) would be welcome. Thanks for your time.

Best,

-bbsmitz

2. Smiley_ie

Smiley_ie Master Guru

GPU:
    INNO3D RTX3090 X3
    I got a 750D a few months back very happy with it, I took out 1 HD cage and the 2nd i cut it down to hold 1 HD as all others drives are ssd's but very good case good air flow and quiet.

3. Night Hope

Night Hope Active Member

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 8GB
    I recommend The Define R5. Its modern and very customizable.

4. Truder

Truder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    Why not the R6? Has much better options for cooling and it does have a 5.25" bay too

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    I have an Enthoo Pro myself. It has such a good design. I have 2x140 in front , 2x140 on the radiator on top and 120 in the back. It really has amazing airflow.
    I kinda wish it could have a 140 in the back as well , but it is not such a big deal so i would still recommend it. All things are accessible , like the radiator you can slide out.

6. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Or Define 7 XL

I have Define...Something (could be 4 or 5 or something else). Quite happy with it. All those 3 seem good so cant go horribly wrong with any of those.

How loud the PC is depends on the parts you pick and where you place the PC. If you mount fans directly to case it might cause vibrations, so use some rubber mounts. 5,25" drive will also make noise, but if it's not used much, not really a problem. SSD 's are silent. PSU's in general are not bad, GPU's on the other hand... Might be worth paying some attention to it's cooling solution. If you go and buy aftermarket sound damping material for your PC, that stuff is available, but you will need quite a bit of it so likely cheaper to buy a case with sound damping already installed.

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Define R5 here and very happy with it.

Btw if you have just one HDD and one optical drive, you could do what I did and fit the HDD with a bracket to the other 5,25" slot and remove the HDD cage completely.

Case has 2 slots behind the mobo for SATA SSDs.

Indeed very quiet, though the fans that come with it don't generate much airflow but I've had no issues.

Don't use AIOs myself but you can fit 360 mm on top and 240 mm on front.
    I'm pretty sure larger 420 mm (top) and 280 mm (front) would fit too. Front has 2 x 140 mm case fans by default.

8. bbsmitz

bbsmitz Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. Question about the Define cases, I read in a review that the front hinged door can strongly affect the airflow into the case (sort of similar to how the 750D was before they did the airflow version). For those of you who have one, have your temps been generally fine (seems to have been for AsiJu)? Anyone do OC'ing with it? That Define 7 XL does look sweet.

9. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

Phanteks Enthoo will be my choice with Fractal Design R6 just with Define cases you need to replace stockfans for something better because stock fans are just not up to the job

Corsair 750D, I wouldn't touch that case, owned this case and wouldn't buy her again

Personally I would have look on Phanteks Enthoo Primo if you can find that case in sale or used one, I bought for friend build for something like £75 recently

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

10. Truder

Truder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    Well I have the R6 (and I had the R4 before it), the R6 was a significant upgrade over the R4 in terms of airflow (as far as I know, the R5 was only an minor upgrade over the R4, where as teh R6 was a whole new chassis change). For intake, I have a 240mm AIO mounted at the front and I have fans mounted underneath at the bottom with one rear fan as an exhaust. The case is incredibly quiet and temperatures never go above 60°c on my CPU (Ryzen 3700X) and GPU never goes above 65°c (AMD R9 Fury - this card dumps a tremendous amount of heat).

I will add, this was the case with the fans from my R4, those were weak and exhibited a wobble noise (which was corrected with some ptfe spray) but the newer fans Fractal include from the R6 onwards are much better, I've had no problems with them at all.

11. bbsmitz

bbsmitz Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
    Thanks, what did you dislike about the case?

Very helpful thanks; might take a look at bottom intake options.

12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    I have Ryzen 7 3800X on air cooling (Thermalright Macho 120 Rev. A) and idle temp is around 30 C while gaming temp is between 60 - 70 C ie. fine.
    No manual overclocks, all default and all cores boost to 4.3 ... 4.4+ GHz depending on game.

GPU is usually around 65 ... 67 C in gaming.
    I've slightly oc'd GPU so that max. boost is around 2 GHz.

But yeah, R5 is 2 generations old so definitely consider R6 or R7 as options.

Also I have no experience with Corsair or Phanteks cases so can't compare first hand.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  13. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX2080 Super
    Possibly a little to late to the show, but wanted to give the OP a heads up. I have an Define R6, and if you want to mount a AIO to the front with the hoses at the bottom as you suggested in the first post, it will not work. The R6 is 535 mm , and the R5 is 531mm long. I tried with an evga CLC 280, and Artic Freezer ii 280, both units the hoses are to short if you tried mount the hoses toward the bottom, even if not using the 5.25" drive bay, with hoses on top they reach. I personally went with a simple custom made AIO with no reservoir (Swiftech Apogee ii, Alpha Cool XT45 280mm rad, with a push/pull Noctua fans in front). I can say that R6 is quiet with the right fan curves, cool, and is built like a tank. You could kill someone with the back side panel, it is really heavy. I removed the HDD cages, pushed back the partition, and I have 2 storage HDD's mounted to the back side of the case, plus there is mounts for 2 x2.5 SSD in the back. Running a NVME for OS.

Another case you could look into, that I had, would be the Corsair Carbide Air540. That would let you mount a front AIO with the hoses in the downward position, and has 2 x 5.25" front bays, 2 x 3.5" slots, and 5 x 2.5" slots.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020