Trouble with CrossfireX 5770

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by ndude555, Apr 8, 2010.

1. ndude555

ndude555 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI 5770 @ 910
    Alright so I picked up an extra 5770 to add in and installation went great but I'm having a bit of an issue getting it to work right with windows. Nothing is OC'd at the moment and everything is stock as far as voltages go. Crossfire bridge is installed. Checked to see if the cards are seated right and it all checks out. However when I modify settings in the CCC it locks up and reboots. No grey or blue screens just reboots. Then at POST it says that there was a hyper transport sync flood error. Now normally when I would get this it was because the drivers up and corrupted themselves after a certain amount of time using them.

Could there be differences between the cards that I am not aware of even though they are the same one? I've had one for a few weeks and I just got the other today. Same card, same box.

Its the MSI 5770-PMD1G.

2. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    seems like a bad driver install.

uninstall the drivers. remove the second card from your mobo.

install drivers for first card, shut down. install second card into mobo WITHOUT bridges, then install the drivers for the second card.

then shut down, attach bridges, reboot into windows. open CCC, enable crossfire.

best if you try it with official drivers first.

3. ndude555

ndude555 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI 5770 @ 910
    Wait so there's a driver per card? That's odd. I'll give it a try and report back.

4. [Mudd]

[Mudd] Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 ACX SC
    yeah that is weird? so you have to install ati drivers twice? cuz im about to do a crossfirex build for a friend..

5. ndude555

ndude555 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI 5770 @ 910
    No dice. Still getting the HT sync flood error. I'm using the 10.3b drivers if that makes any difference. They both work fine as a single card and everything was great until I put the bridge on. Could there be something wrong with the bridge?

Edit: Is there anything I need to modify in the motherboard BIOS?

6. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    kind of.

after you install the drivers for the first card, install the second card into the mobo and then boot up, windows should install the driver automatically.

i had an issue a while back where randomly, my first card was running 10.2, but my second card was running 9.12 somehow. then when i tried to play borderlands, random textures would just pop up in midair, etc. installing drivers over it didnt fix it.

so i decided to remove the cards and install them one at a time, and it fixed it for me. but it was a random occurence.

@ndude555 - whats your nb and ht set at in your bios? by default, should be 2000mhz each.

7. [Mudd]

[Mudd] Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 ACX SC
    cool thx, so just put the rig together with 1 card, and install drivers then install 2nd card with bridge and boot back up? or install 2nd card without bridge and boot? then reboot and install bridge?

8. ndude555

ndude555 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI 5770 @ 910
    Everything is stock so yes, my HT and nb are at 2000MHz.

Just turned it on this morning and was able to do about 1.1 runs through the heaven 2.0 demo and then it popped up saying that the display driver crashed. Went through 10minutes of furmark with out issue. Tried dirt 2 demo and was getting low frames in the trailer and out of the trailer, ran the benchmark and about 2/3 - 3/4 way through it Grey screened and rebooted with the HT sync flood error.

9. erocker

erocker Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Make sure your NB/SB drivers are installed. Many people with AMD rigs miss this as AMD doesn't make them very available. I've also seen HT flood errors due to motherboard bios'. Make sure you have the latest bios for you motherboard.

10. ndude555

ndude555 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI 5770 @ 910
    Alright downloading those now. Should I also get the AHCI driver as well?

11. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    the ahci driver isnt really necessary unless you plan to run a hdd in ahci mode.

and yeah, i install the second card without the bridges first.

then once windows has installed the driver, shut down, attach bridges, boot up, and it should ask you if you want to enable crossfire (or at least pop up with the window).

not too sure about the ht flood sync anymore. have you tried contacting msi?

12. ndude555

ndude555 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI 5770 @ 910
    Well I installed the SB driver but it still gives me a HT error. After I installed the driver I ran furmark multi-gpu for about 15 minutes and temps never went above 71C. Tried the Dirt 2 Demo and still really laggy, about 30FPS at the main screen and once the bench mark was started the display driver crashed and crashed Dirt 2. Also did a video stress test in Half Life 2 Lost coast and got through just fine. Exited let it sit for a while then it just rebooted and gave the error.

13. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    hmm, i thought HT was NB related.

dirt2 isnt really a good example of a laggy game. my reason for saying this is because on my comp, it runs at 115fps, and still 'appears laggy', ie. it looks like its running at 25-40fps. dirt2 doesnt look smooth until you enable vsync. just seems like the way the game engine runs.

seems like it could be a fault with your mobo. might need an RMA. on a random note, if you plan to RMA it anyway, i would say give OCing the mobo a go. increase the frequency of the NB, then slowly increase the NB voltage until its stable. then increase HT frequency and slowly increase HT until its stable. although HT is rated at 5200 (2600x2), by default it only runs at 2000x2. oh and HT must be lower than NB frequency. see if you still get a HT sync flood error with the HT OC'd.

14. sprower

sprower Master Guru

GPU:
    TriFire5770 9800GT Physx
    HT flood sync errors don't Always coincide with an unstable OC. I've seen instances where software such as Everest was causing constant sync errors. Uninstall any new software and or roll back to a previous restore point and see if that clears it up.

15. ndude555

ndude555 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI 5770 @ 910
    Well tell that to the 70+ FPS and smooth performance I was getting before the second card. Now it literally is 30FPS and won't go higher, only lower. And God I hope I don't need to get a new mobo. Its too soon.

lol no restore points since I'm on an SSD for the main OS disk and at the time thats all I had so I disabled to save space. Vista already takes up like 90% of the 64GB that it has...

Could it be that my PSU isn't supplying enough on the 12v rails? It's a modular design and before I was using the 2 8pin converted to 6 pin for the cards and I also tried using straight 6pin from the PSU. looking online it appears I'm only getting 30A per 12v rail. I'm thinking that's not enough? When I got the PSU I figured 850w would be enough not taking into account the amps on the 12v rails..

Output +3.3V@30A,+5V@30A,+12V1@18A,+12V2@18A,+12V3@30A, +12V4@30A,-12V@0.8A,+5VSB@3.0A

I'll probably need to do a clean install of Vista anyways because when I was trying different drivers. I went to go uninstall one and it uninstalled the USB filter driver. Now none of my peripherals work. it works fine in the bios but as far as in windows its dead.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010

16. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    doubt your psu is an issue. the 12V3 and 12V4 have more than enough amps for the cards. heck, you could run them off the same rail and it would still have more than enough amps for overclocking.

5770s each use 110w-ish. 110w/12V = 9A. so youre nowhere near stressing the psu.

on a random note, have you tried the power connectors on a different rail? could just be a dodgy rail in your psu.

17. ndude555

ndude555 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI 5770 @ 910
    Well I think it was just the drivers being buggy. Now I'm on a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro and its working flawlessly. Just installed the drivers once and boom it worked. Bizarre.

18. Boemlauwe_Bas

Boemlauwe_Bas Member

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Try going in the BIOS and use the "Load Optimized Defaults" and reboot and see if that gets rid of it. If no joy then try the Failsafe defaults...

I found some answers on this error, but it appears to indicate a hardware failure... you might have a permanent issue with your motherboard. This error can mean a CRC or HT link init error on one of the hypertransport links, or a parity error with the PCI bus, etc. None of it good. If it doesn't go away with the most recent up-to-date BIOS and "fail-safe defaults", then yes contact AMD and your motherboard manufacturer.

... google,google,google (If this works, you owe me a beer[/i]

<COPY PASTE START from other forum>
    EDIT: OKAY, FOUND OUT THE CULPRIT of this Hypertransport Sync Flood Error.
    Did some testing on the CPU, CPU-NB, HT and Ram.
    The CPU was ONLY component that reproduced the HTSF Error.
    When not enough volts are being provided to the CPU it will reboot at any time (Especially during heavy to max loads) with either a black screen or verticle lines right before rebooting. While posting you see this messege.

"hypertransport sync flood error has occured. Press F1 to resume"

So there are a number of Scenarios that may cause this BUT they ALL lead back to the main reason. Not enough power to the CPU at the time that the heavy load produces failure.

1. To high of an OC without the ample amount of CPU volts.
    2. Plain, not enough CPU Volts at any speed.
    3. Possible Bad power supply.
    4. Motherboard with very high amount of VDroop which ultimately leads back to "Not Enough CPU Volts". This will reveal itself with a load on the CPU. Maybe not during typical use. Could just be that the motherboard has CPU power providing issues as well (Good power from PSU but motherboard wastes the power before reaching the CPU).
    </COPY PASTE START from other forum>

Good luck.