Trouble updating Lenovo z575 graphics drivers!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by grimmett81, Apr 22, 2014.

1. grimmett81

grimmett81 Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6520G/ 6650M
    Hi everyone,
    I've been reading about a couple methods used by many to update the 3 year old graphics drivers found on Lenovo's support site for my Ideapad z575. This laptop comes equipped with Radeon 6520G integrated graphics and Radeon HD 6650M dedicated card. I am running Windows 7 64bit Home Premium SP1.
    Before I explain what I have tried, let me just say that I all the time I am removing old drivers and registry entries using DriverFusion, CCleaner and the AMD utility while in safe mode.

Things I have tried:
    1. There was a method posted on Lenovo's support site involving installing two different sets of catalyst drivers and then going back and making registry changes to "enableulps". This method allowed me to boot but gave me blue screens or lockups in different games.
    2. I have tried LeeKM's 13.12 driver for AMD APU's. This booted for me but would cause my games to lockup.
    3. Lastly I've tried LeeKM's 14.3 driver for AMD APU's thinking that a newer version may have fixed the issues from 13.12 I was having. This driver would not allow me to get past the Windows loading screen. I could not even boot to safe mode. I had to load "last known good configuration" and remove the driver.
    4. I have tried drivers from AMD's website and also the utility to let AMD pick the drivers best suited for my machine. These will either cause my machine to freeze in games, not load in catalyst properly or will not install because of my hardware not being compatible.

Being that so many people are having success with at least one version of the driver, I'm thinking maybe it is either my particular model of laptop or something I am doing wrong. Could it be because I have another partition with the original video drivers on my machine for backup? (created by restore disks) Should I try clean install windows without a second partition or would that not make any difference?
    I'd really like to get this fixed so I can use drivers that are not from 2011. :(

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  2. V-FrIeNd

V-FrIeNd Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 750Ti
    AMD Catalyst 13.12 and newer
    Compatible windows 7 with SP1
    Have you updated SP1 for your windows ?

Use driver from lenovo site
    and install new driver choose custom
    check only graphics driver , hdmi driver and catalyst control center
    uncheck ahci , chipset , usb , etc... driver

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    This is what i did today on a Asus K53TA with the same hardware and worked just fine.

Unistall old drivers via catalyst install menager
    Use DDU in safe mode (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379505)
    Install new 14.4rc mod (from V-FrIeNd, post above)

Switchable graphics menu and brightness controll is there.

4. grimmett81

grimmett81 Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6520G/ 6650M
    Thanks for the quick replies guys. I do have Service Pack 1 installed..thanks. :) I have tried installing a newer catalyst driver over my original lenovo drivers while unchecking those options you mentioned. That was part of the method I used when following directions from Lenovo's support site in step 1 I mentioned above. I will try DDU in safe mode and the 14.4rc mod you mentioned above. If that doesn't work I will try V-FrIeNd's directions and give that a go again!
    I will keep you posted!

5. grimmett81

grimmett81 Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6520G/ 6650M
    I decided to go ahead and try V-FrIeNd's instructions first since I already had the original drivers installed. I installed mobility 13.12 over the original drivers ensuring that only AMD Display, CCC and HDMI were selected.
    I rebooted and windows fired up just fine. Both adaptors are listed in the device manager with updated versions. I then tried to play Fallout New Vegas. It would not start unless I set the graphics to Medium and was only finding the APU graphics. I then started World of Warcraft and it froze right before the login screen. I suspect the machine is having trouble switching to the discrete card.
    In the process of trying Undying's method now...

6. grimmett81

grimmett81 Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6520G/ 6650M
    Undying,
    Just to be clear. I should run DDU in safe mode, let it restart and then install the 14.4 rc1 driver? You mention "14.4rc mod (from V-FrIeNd, post above)". Is there an actual mod for this driver or what? I am downloading the Apr 15th version posted by asder00.

Thanks!

**I found the mod posted by V-FrIeNd but it says it's just for Windows 8 ? **

7. grimmett81

grimmett81 Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6520G/ 6650M
    Nevermind I misread the info on the driver. Trying it out now...

8. grimmett81

grimmett81 Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6520G/ 6650M
    I tried using the modded 14.4 RC drivers. I first entered safe mode and ran DDU, then restarted my PC. After installing the drivers I rebooted. Just as before( when trying to use the LeeKM 14.3 modded driver )the system hangs on the windows loading screen.
    I don't think I am doing anything wrong as far as installing and un-installing because the original driver always works when I revert back to using it. Should I be installing the original driver first before trying the RC driver just as I did earlier or should it not be necessary for these modded drivers?
    I appreciate any help I can get in getting this problem resolved!

9. grimmett81

grimmett81 Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6520G/ 6650M
    Still a no go. I'm not sure what else to try short of doing a clean Windows install and trying these modded drivers again. I just cannot get any modded driver to work in game for more than a couple minutes, if that. I must either be doing something wrong or something pre-loaded by Lenovo in the operating system that is causing the modded drivers to not work.
    I'm still open to suggestions but I guess its back to the 2011 driver for me for now. :(

10. V-FrIeNd

V-FrIeNd Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 750Ti

11. grimmett81

grimmett81 Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6520G/ 6650M
    Thanks V-FrIeNd,
    I'm going to try those drivers now. If they do not work I guess I'll do a clean install. I appreciate your help!

12. grimmett81

grimmett81 Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6520G/ 6650M
    :banana: PROBLEM FIXED! :banana:

The official drivers would not work either! I decided to clean install Windows 8.1, as suggested, and now I'm using LeeKM's 14.3 modded SG driver. Everything seems to be working fine now. Booted into Windows and WoW runs perfectly! I think the issue was with something pre-installed in Windows from Lenovo, possibly the Energy Management program.

Thanks again for the support!!