1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

triple buffering in nvidia drivers / inspector with vsync on/off, contradicting answers?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by alexander1986, Apr 20, 2018.

1. alexander1986

alexander1986 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    Beating a dead horse here perhaps, BUT feel like I just have to know :D and a LOT of contradicting answers and info after surfing around a bit,

if running standard vsync on, in lets say a directx12 game, does the triple buffering option in nvidia do anything useful at all here? lower input lag? or MORE input lag? or it doesnt work for DX games and only opengl?

nvidias own description in the driver is just simply "improves performance when vsync is turned on", im trying to get as low input lag as possible with vsync in a game that is using dx12, and would like to be 100% absolutely certain that TB should be off for best results here, (or on?) have been testing with max prerender frames 1 + TB off vs on and its hard to say really, would make me sleep better if I knew for a fact so I could continue tweaking other settings, lol.

thanks in advance! :D

2. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 980 STRIX
    It's OGL only. I would only use TB if you can't hit refresh rate performance regularly enough that the drop to 1/2 and back to 1/1 would be too distracting personally.

https://displaylag.com/reduce-input-lag-in-pc-games-the-definitive-guide/ Limited testing here shows it with vsync from D3DOverrider enabled too adding latency. But that could be just due to forcing Vsync from there too.
    In Source Engine games, I can feel a perceptible difference in the latency when using the in game TB mode. It usually feels less responsive. But that's subjective without real testing.

AATT likes this.
  3. AATT

AATT Member Guru

GPU:
    In my pc video gaming experience for over 19 years...

it is the best to just use no vsync double buffer pre render 1 (some games 2) with fps as high above refresh rate as needed to not notice tearing or not be hindered by it

luckily im not that sensitive for tearing, _all_ other options including g/freesync feel not as good

4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    It's only for OpenGL (not sure about Vulkan.) If enabled, and if it works, then it increases input lag by 1 frame for the benefit of not cutting FPS in half when it can't reach the monitor's refresh rate.