Tried something interesting with a U.2 900P and it worked.

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by nosirrahx, Feb 25, 2018.

1. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Member Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    The Optane 16GB and 32GB drives are designed to act as cache while the 900P drives are designed to be standalone SSDs leveraging the same storage technology used in the much smaller cache drives.

I wondered if the Optane caching software would recognize a 900P as a cache drive due to them being based on the same technology.

I asked Intel about this and one expert said no while another said that he had no idea but it certainly was not the intention and would not be intentionally supported if it did work.

Hearing this I of course had to try it and to my surprise, it worked flawlessly.

The back story on this is that I was building a system for someone that wanted top of the line disk access with 4TB of space, they also did not want to mess with RAID or multiple drive letters or drives mounted as folders. They wanted a single large drive that was stupidly fast. You can certainly cache a SATA SSD to the 16/32GB Optane cache drives but that really does not get you much, especially when it comes to writes and 32 gigs is a very small fraction of 4TB. The 900P by contrast is huge and outperforms the 16/32GB models handily.

Understandably this is a corner case and is too expensive to be "worth it" but if you have $ to burn and want a 4TB Optane SSD today this gets you pretty damn close to that.

CarvedInside likes this.
  2. CarvedInside

CarvedInside New Member

GPU:
    PowerColor ATI HD 3870
  3. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Member Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    It is really hard to say for sure but this is what the Optane CP is reporting (looks like the whole damn thing). BTW, this is by far the best undocumented feature I have ever come across. This system goes from Dr. Debug finishing to desktop in 2 seconds.

[​IMG]

CarvedInside likes this.
  4. CarvedInside

CarvedInside New Member

GPU:
    PowerColor ATI HD 3870
    Nice setup with caching for a 4TB 860 Evo. From the looks of it, it is using the whole drive.
    Thanks for the benchmarks. Looking at those 4K scores, they seem a bit low, they read figure should be 310+ MB/s. Has your motherboard been patched for Spectre vulnerability? A tool like inSpectre should tell us if you have the Spectre fix enabled.

5. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Member Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    BIOS is 1.30, there was both a 1.40 and 1.50 but they were retracted, 1.60 is likely a week away tops and I am sure the Specter fix will be in that one. This is a Z370 Taichi BTW.

As for the 4K in Q1T1 I am not surprised there is a small bit of latency for the cache algorithm, still insanely fast when reading/writing small files which is where you feel the speed the most.

I am attaching a boot of this system, check the Dr. Debug end to desktop time :)

Crap, let me see if I can fix this. HAHA, fixed :)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    CarvedInside likes this.