TRI Fire 5870/eyefinity PROJECT/benches!!! post yours.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Bodar, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    Man.. That is awesome!! It's so much fun.. If I decided to rock that setup again I'd probably only use the middle monitor for some games that take a performance hit.. I know what you mean about the big tv.. I've tried it before. Looks awesome from far away.. Up close you can definitely see pixels..

2. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I totally agree with you here.

LCD TV != monitor.

3. phill1978

phill1978 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 1GB 5850@840/1140
    yea used a 32" 1080p lcd for monitor and it totally lost the crispness and see through nature up close on the desk, needed to sit about 2 meters minimum away and its still nothing like as crisp as a decent 1080p+ monitor.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  4. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    Hey bodar!

Perhaps u would like to test this out on ur system if you haven't already.

http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulatorX/

MS flight simulator X.

I haven't even downloaded it yet but there might be a benchmark in there worth trying it out.

5. csaris

csaris Member

GPU:
    5870 TriFire
    Did anyone try stalker cop game?

It's pawns my 3x5870s!!!!

6. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    I'll try that. A simulator.. fun! I wonder if the benchmark is included. thanks!!!

7. Almost Tactful

Almost Tactful Member

GPU:
    HIS 5870 1GB - 1050 Core
    Eyefinity and Overclocking

This is the thread to ask in I'm sure, has anyone had luck overclocking the cards while Eyefinity is enabled? I am running a single 5870 right now and 3 Dell Professional Displays @ 5760X1080. When my clocks are the stock 850/1200 everything is fine but if I OC either the GPU or RAM I get slight artifacts but only if Eyefinity is on. If I turn Eyefinity off I can clock to 1100/1450 on the card without any issues but if I want to use Eyefinity the clocks must stay stock.....any ideas on this? I can use CCC or AfterBurner and it has the same result.

Intel 920 @ 4.2 On Water
    12GB DDR3 1600
    HIS 5870 On Air
    OCZ SSD 60GB
    SilverStone DA850 PSU
    Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit (Clean Install)
    3 X Dell P2210 Displays, 2 DVI and 1 DP

8. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    Try overclocking first, then enable eyefinity.. That may work.. :) Also, you are controlling alot more res with those clocks.. I'd suggest using less of a memory clock or otherwise that 5870 wont last long.. Are you stock / air cooling or water? 1450 is dangerous.. Alot of these cards will die with anything more then 1350 memory clock.. I actually had a friend that kept his memory at 1300mhz 24/7 while gaming.. I think that lasted for about a month and then tons of artifacts suddenly formed.. I think 1275 is safe on the mem.. I would'nt go beyond that on water unless you plan on using LN2..

9. poo417

poo417 Master Guru

GPU:
    I have my 5970 oc with eyefinity with no problems. Card is @ 850 core and 1100 mem. A slight voltage bump for the core via afterburner lets the clocks go back down to normal 130 300 (or what ever it goes down to)in 2d rather than staying at 500 gpu and 900 mem. As Bodar said you are pushing 3 times the pixels the card is just working a hell of a alot more. You may need an extra little gpu voltage but I would be inclined not to do much with the memory. I just used the max voltage form the ATI OC tool 1.645 i think set that in afterburner oc'd via that as well saved as profile and it has ran with no problems at all even with both gpu's at 100% for hours on end in BFBC2.

10. Almost Tactful

Almost Tactful Member

GPU:
    HIS 5870 1GB - 1050 Core
    This is why you would be awesome....I never even thought to OC first and setup Eyefinity after...I'll try it tonight with a moderate oc of 1050/1200

Thanks man!

11. dmanna80

dmanna80 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    1450 memory!! :banana: dude turn it down a little most people cant hit 1350 without issues. Your memory overclock isnt doing alot for you anyway.

12. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Hey Bodar, what's your take on a 5970 with a 1200mhz memory clock on a stock cooler? The VDDC phase temps never go above 82c.

Just playing it safe. It's too easy to fry video ram :wanker:

13. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    I think it's fine.. I've been running my 5970 at 1200 for a while now. To play it safe, you could always go 1100 though.. I'm pretty sure there is'nt a game out there that brings the 5970 to it's knees.. even crysis.. So 1100 / 1200 is not going to make much difference unless you plan on some 3dmark vantage runs.. 24/7 1100 is good though..

14. poo417

poo417 Master Guru

GPU:
  15. DrLightman

DrLightman Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870 XT
    Bodar, you're a genius.

I'm just curious, did you ever got a GSOD/vertical stripes while playing any game? :D

16. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Man he bought the cards when they first came out,and continues to buy more.Overclocks like mad,with all forms of stuff(ICE,LN).I am sure he has ****ed uped more cards then most people ever bought in their life.

Yes I can say for sure he has.
    Those GSOD/vertical stripes and stuff are not just video drivers related or card related.
    To get rid of the GSOD/vertical stripes,you need to have a stable system.
    Do not clock the Gddr5 memory too high and make sure you have enough volts on your GPU core to avoid the GSOD/vertical stripes.

Now ATI sold over 2 million 5xxx cards so guess what some cards are not going to work good,but what really bugs me people RMAing their cards without even trying to set their system up correct,which in the end raises the ****ing price of the cards.

17. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    Yeah man.. I get the stripped lines.. It's really annoying sometimes. It does'nt happen while gaming but once I start the overclocking it can get pretty annoying. Although, I do have my 1 lucky 5870 that does'nt do that at all.. True about burning up the hardware..
    So far I've killed 5 5870's and 1 5970.. Also burned up 4 motherboards and 2 i7 975's..
    It was all for learning purposes! It's been a while since I've had problems like that though..
    I bench using LN2 / Subzero cooling probably about twice a week now.. It's just another thing like brushing your teeth.. When I first started with all this stuff I would literally turn on the computer and everything would start dieing within seconds... :(

18. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    LOL BODAR,props to you for not giving up,and how many FERMI you going to burn up ,cause ya know the first run of the cards may have a big fail rate.Back in the day I went thru 20 + 7900GTX cards,lets hope fermi not like this.

19. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    now you're pro lol. luckily I have only killed 5 motherboards in my oc life. now I am too poor to afford my addiction lol

20. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    I hope I dont burn up Fermi :) unless it was just the hardware and nothing I did.. It's fine now.. I still have enough cards to bench using subzero cooling.. I've received a few of my 5870's from RMA and as soon as I get them I just sell right away.. Cant go through the process again.. I have 3 5870's and 1 5970 left.. I sold my 5770 , 5850 , and 1 5870 so far.. still waiting for my 5970 and 3 5870's :( All processors were sold once I got them back from rma.. The only thing that was'nt excepted was 2 asus motherboards..I literally had to throw them away.. But asus, evga and msi each excepted 1.. So maybe that's 5 motherboards.. Anyway.. I've been benching for a while on the p55 classified , gigabyte ud7 and the 4-way classified with no problems at all..
    It's weird how I used to burn up something every single day.. now I feel like benching almost everyday, but nothing burns up.. I used to read all these guides about insulation and what you are supposed to do.. They were all crap.. It's that saying.. You can learn everything there is to know about something but until your hands on you'll never know..
    This hobby has been a little bit too expensive for the learning process but now I can honestly say I'm having a blast.. Also, two of our fellow gurus right here.. Gino and Angelo are the reason why I started and helped me out alot! Props to them for being so awesome and amazing at this stuff!!