Transparency anti-aliasing

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Viscerous, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Viscerous

Viscerous Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 2080 SUPER
    Alright, I give up. The following options do absolutely nothing at all for some reason:

-Transparency multisampling
    -Supersampling (2x, 4x, 8x)
    -Probably any of the replay modes save for AA_MODE_REPLAY_MODE_ALL in conjunction with LOD bias.

Sparse grid supersampling seems to do something even on its own but the others are completely dead when they used to do something before (before being a long time ago, because this has been broken for me for quite a while now).

I think I might be clinically retarded, because nobody else seems to have this issue. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Multisampling and Supersampling need atleast 2x MSAA before they work.

And i believe Transparancy AA is broken in DX11.

3. Viscerous

Viscerous Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 2080 SUPER
    Even with multisampling they do nothing whatsoever. DX11 isn't the problem as I haven't been testing those.

4. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Which games are you testing?

If you have Bf3/Bf4 you can enable Transparency AA (either multisample or supersampling) in nVidia control panel.

You can see the effect it has on the fencing that is used heavily in the game.
    Really cleans it up, especially when you are looking at it from an angle.

Not at home at moment so cant post screenies but I have tested this alot in the past in BF3.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    It works here, well I see perf. impact with it enabled..

Test in Doom3 or Mortal Kombat KE - graveyard level or a game with lots of foliage (Skyrim, SeriusSam3)

Dont force it in BF4 - its broken, can have disappearing grass and it renders less.

6. Viscerous

Viscerous Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 2080 SUPER
    For illustrative purposes, here's the effects of the different settings in Skyrim.

[​IMG]
    Off, Multisampling, 8xSupersampling, 8xSparse Grid Supersampling
    (only included sparse grid without MSAA for demonstrating that at least one option does something)

The following settings were used respectively:
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure the override isn't even required but I did it anyway since I expect replies asking why I didn't. The problem has me so stumped that I even tried swapping to my older (8800GTX) card and installing the oldest legacy driver Nvidia still listed. In vain of course. Incidentally, the 480 is also up for replacement, but somewhat off-topic.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Are you using MSAA with these settings? If you are not, then yes this is the result you get. Jaggies in every image, and that SGSSAA is especially off with it doing nothing for aliasing but the driver still applies negative LOD.

8. Viscerous

Viscerous Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 2080 SUPER
    I remember quite fondly that when it still worked (very long time ago) literally the only setting you had to change was TrAA to anything. Transparency multisampling not yielding very good results as opposed to the TrSSAA settings. Regardless, here it is again with both transparency multisampling and regular. Regular MSAA not doing much though, since I don't think there are compatibility bits outside of the SGSSAA ones.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Maybe try this flag for compatibility?
    0x000010C1
    orrr.. maybe use enhance with the proper setting in-game?

10. Viscerous

Viscerous Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 2080 SUPER
    No go on the compatibility flag, but was to be expected. That's a generic SGSSAA flag as well. However, using in-game 8xMSAA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I guess that's it. I'm pretty positive now that at some point in time either they changed how these worked or I was under the impression that they worked on its own as I saved some Inspector profiles with only TrAA enabled that always worked, but maybe forgot that I was using it in conjunction with in-game MSAA.

Which brings me to the following question, anyone using SMAA/FXAA in games, how do you deal with the transparency aliasing? Because post-processed AA really doesn't deal with stuff like foliage or dense fences very well on their own. Unless you're using some insanely blurry setup.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Did you disable any kind of ingame transparency aa?

I remember Skyrim default ingame TrAA is kinda bugged @ nv.

12. heymian

heymian Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    I don't think Transparency multisampling works in BF4. When I turn it on, I see no visual or performance difference. Transparency supersampling works quite nicely on the other hand. Cleans things up a bit but the performance hit is deep in certain area (i.e. proning in a field of grass, my fps tanks).

Anyone know, roughly, how high you can turn resolution scale up until you reach the performance penalty of 4xAA?

13. BeeJAyP

BeeJAyP Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti Hybrid
    I did find just setting TrSSAA with Skyrim worked in the past as well, but I'm pretty sure you have to set it to enhance and have in-game AA on, any other combination I have tried other than SGSSAA with the compatibility flag hasn't worked.

14. Viscerous

Viscerous Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 2080 SUPER
    Well, if nothing else at the very least I get how it's supposed to work now. Thanks for helping me clear this up. I was hoping to use SMAA+TrSSAA in games, but I suppose that's not really an option at this point unless you also give it some MSAA.

15. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Confirmed Multisample does nothing in BF4.

I use Tr Supersamplex2 along with ingame x4 MSAA,plus SMAA from Radeonpro and looking good.

16. heymian

heymian Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Yup, that's what I thought. It's cause TrMSAA only works when regular MSAA is applied. Battlefield uses a different type of MSAA, deferred antialiasing, so it does nothing.

And I was messing with the Resolution Scale setting a few nights ago. 135% gives me around the same performance as 4xMSAA except the picture looks noticeably sharper. I was pleased until I started noticing massive frame drops when explosions go off next to me. I also get lesser frame drops diving in and out of water. Anyone else getting this?

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    In Skyrim all you need to do is enable in game aa and then select trssaa from nvidia cp. Do not force or enhance aa.

18. Viscerous

Viscerous Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 2080 SUPER
    This honestly only raises questions to me as to why TrSSAA needs the in-game MSAA in the first place though. But whatever.

19. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Use ENB and..

If you want more use TemporalAA on top, but that will most likely kill performance for you.
    For driver enabled AA, you are going to need the right compatibility bits, but might hard to find something that works better than ENB.
    I tried several of those posted around on sites and forums, none of them did work as well as what ENB can add.
    ENB also has EnableAntialiasing under the [RAIN] section in enbseries.ini.
    Note that the drivers and the games (SkyrimPrefs.ini ) AA and Transparency AA needs to be disabled when you use ENB, plus you would most probably want to disable FXAA too.
    You can add 2 or 4 for iWaterMultiSamples in SkyrimPrefs.ini beside all that.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  20. Viscerous

Viscerous Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 2080 SUPER
    Thanks for the suggestions though I'm afraid I know all of this already. The main reason I wanted TrSSAA to work was because I'm normally using ENB + SweetFX using SMAA, but SMAA doesn't like most foliage very much. Incidentally, I'm really picky when it comes to crisp image and temporal AA blurs out the entire image slightly. Mostly textures are affected.

Of course, the only way to get TrSSAA right now would be to use the in-game MSAA as well which doesn't play nicely with ENB. Hence why I much preferred being able to enable TrSSAA on its own.

Edit: Oh, and EdgeAA 'solves' the problem as well, but again. Very blurry.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014